show off your Santa Cruz
| Next Page
Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 16:56 Quote
Bolt thru > Quixle > Thru axle

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 17:50 Quote
og03 wrote:
scjeremy wrote:
gmoss wrote:
Yes, the gray and red do look good together.

not singling out, but it made me think about it. Why is it convention to turn the rear axle lever forward? I have always faced mine rearward, mainly from my experience on dirt bikes with sticks, limbs, small trees getting hung up in shifters, brakes, etc. I just see it as a hazard.
Installed facing forward it would take a downward force to loosen, an unlikely scenario. Installed facing rearward it would take an upward force to loosen, such as a rock or root impact. Forward seems safer to me. Although it could snag on something it seems more likely to accidentally loosen from an upward impact in the rear facing position.

it looks better

I kind of see that, but to me, the likelyhood of either is slim, but either could happen with the wheel traveling up and down. If they were really concerned with that, it would be threaded the opposite direction too, or from the opposite side, kind of like pedals. forward momentum hitting something will drag the thing downward, loosening it, potentially. Who's to say something, a vine, could not grab it and pull it downward as you went by.

Looks, meh. In my eyes, it looks backwards. I don't think it looks bad the other way and actually protects the disc if you lay it down on that side, at least a little.

Ok. sounds like no scientific reason, just preference. Do what you feel is best I reckon. : )

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 2:47 Quote
gmoss wrote:
og03 wrote:
scjeremy wrote:

Installed facing forward it would take a downward force to loosen, an unlikely scenario. Installed facing rearward it would take an upward force to loosen, such as a rock or root impact. Forward seems safer to me. Although it could snag on something it seems more likely to accidentally loosen from an upward impact in the rear facing position.

it looks better

I kind of see that, but to me, the likelyhood of either is slim, but either could happen with the wheel traveling up and down. If they were really concerned with that, it would be threaded the opposite direction too, or from the opposite side, kind of like pedals. forward momentum hitting something will drag the thing downward, loosening it, potentially. Who's to say something, a vine, could not grab it and pull it downward as you went by.

Looks, meh. In my eyes, it looks backwards. I don't think it looks bad the other way and actually protects the disc if you lay it down on that side, at least a little.

Ok. sounds like no scientific reason, just preference. Do what you feel is best I reckon. : )

In the old quick release and road riding world you put it forward so when you are riding in a pack and someone rolls into you from behind their skinny tire doesn't get inside your quick release and open it up. I really don't think it matters these days.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
Hmm. I always ran my QR's the same way as I do now, but I did not ride road bikes back in the day either, so that thought has not crossed my mind.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008224
Mobile Version of Website