show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
Maybe the render-and-upload machine has Covid and is being quarantined

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
fredro wrote:
Anyone with Nomad v4 noticing tons of pedal strikes? I'm in the hi setting, running 170mm cranks, in some chunky trails. Some are obviously unavoidable, some are poor line choice, some poor technique/rider error. But with this bike more than any I've owned before, seem more prominent. Low BB also I'm assuming...

I was, but mainly due to suspension setup. Now run a megneg with cascade link, 1 token, high pressure at 25% sag and it works well. Could be too stiff for some but provides a lot of support and less pedal strikes.

Was looking at the cascade link, but it lowers the BB even more than it is now. Suspension adjustment and maybe shorter cranks help. But mostly my technique and line choice are most to blame.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 16:14 Quote
Do you use a 230x65mm shock as recommended?

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 16:14 Quote
tgent wrote:
seraph wrote:
gmoss wrote:
The gypsum is gray. Color is tough to tell online. I like the white. Blank slate for whatever color you wan to go with. No worries about an orange fork and weird red frame or whatever. Or purple ano, green, litterally any accent you want will go with it.

I am trying to decide if the ember HT and Root Beer Fox Facotry will be a good combo. I know, first world problems. Haha

The Gypsum has purple in it. Trust me. We have both colorways on the floor.

Seraph - any input on why SC hasn't released the new MegaTower colors yet? Surely it's not getting an update after 1 year. You always seem to have some insider knowledge.

Not sure. I know they said they were wanting to space the new colors out a little. They're probably finalizing the new build kits based on what they can get from vendors.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 16:15 Quote
@tbaggins

I'm still running stock link and stock shock. 170mm front and rear.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
Oh whoops I misread the previous stuff. I think the cascade link along with a 65mm stroke shock would raise the BB, as would a 180 fork (dual crown on a nomad is some heat).
I used to have 175 cranks, large frame, 170mm frame, 180mm fork and I had a TON of rock strikes on even mellow trails just due to not thinking about my cadence. With 170mm cranks I'm living the good life for the most part. I think it may come down to the frame leverage curve being very progressive and therefore wallowing a bit just below sag.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 16:35 Quote
tgent wrote:
seraph wrote:
gmoss wrote:
The gypsum is gray. Color is tough to tell online. I like the white. Blank slate for whatever color you wan to go with. No worries about an orange fork and weird red frame or whatever. Or purple ano, green, litterally any accent you want will go with it.

I am trying to decide if the ember HT and Root Beer Fox Facotry will be a good combo. I know, first world problems. Haha

Seraph - any input on why SC hasn't released the new MegaTower colors yet? Surely it's not
getting an update after 1 year. You always seem to have some insider knowledge.
A guy at my shop said that sc is super back up right now and they are going to stock their warehouse before they will release to public.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 16:58 Quote
seraph wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Post some pics please.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 17:52 Quote
tgent wrote:
seraph wrote:
gmoss wrote:

Seraph - any input on why SC hasn't released the new MegaTower colors yet? Surely it's not getting an update after 1 year. You always seem to have some insider knowledge.
The 2021 colors are in the MTBR thread, some online retailer put them up early. Gloss Amarillo yellow and matte storm grey.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 21:30 Quote
tgent wrote:
seraph wrote:
gmoss wrote:

New colors are yellow with white decals an grey frame, not that good looking, colors were on a shop site and german forum

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 22:14 Quote
christiaan wrote:
tgent wrote:
seraph wrote:

New colors are yellow with white decals an grey frame, not that good looking, colors were on a shop site and german forum

Anything on new nomad?

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 9:44 Quote
seraph wrote:
tgent wrote:
seraph wrote:

Not sure. I know they said they were wanting to space the new colors out a little. They're probably finalizing the new build kits based on what they can get from vendors.
Makes sense - I just noticed that the 2021 Bronson colours are the same but they've made a bunch of spec changes across the board.

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
fredro wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
fredro wrote:
Anyone with Nomad v4 noticing tons of pedal strikes? I'm in the hi setting, running 170mm cranks, in some chunky trails. Some are obviously unavoidable, some are poor line choice, some poor technique/rider error. But with this bike more than any I've owned before, seem more prominent. Low BB also I'm assuming...

I was, but mainly due to suspension setup. Now run a megneg with cascade link, 1 token, high pressure at 25% sag and it works well. Could be too stiff for some but provides a lot of support and less pedal strikes.

Was looking at the cascade link, but it lowers the BB even more than it is now. Suspension adjustment and maybe shorter cranks help. But mostly my technique and line choice are most to blame.

I'm in the same boat here. Built up a Nomad 4 single speed to rip uplift laps. Frame size is XL and I'm 1.89m tall.

Im 95kg kitted up for dh laps with full facer on etc. I'm running 220psi with a 2.5 gnar dog token. Compression is run full open as I like how plush it feels. The shock tunnel makes it hard to actually measure sag but It seems to be at 30% sag maybe a tad more.
Suspension action feels good over the rough stuff BUT... So many pedal strikes man! I know I just need to try adapt my riding style and swap out the 175 cranks for 165.
I'm 34 been riding for about 20 years and never had a bike that gets pedal strikes as often! The bottom out feels good so I dont feel like i need another token in there. I'm gonna increase psi to try get closer to 25% sag but this is gonna take away a bit of the plushness I like.

I had been thinking about the cascade link but theres been a huuuge price increase recently. I'm in the UK, 4 or 5 weeks ago I was looking at it but didnt want to order just yet before I spent more time on the bike. It was £249 back then. Now its £331... wtf! That price is just too high. £249 was pushing it already.

I see the prices in dollars went up too from $249 to $331. 33% increase in price? Fuuuk that. The price in pounds is would be around $420

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 14:05 Quote
Yeah I'm holding off on the new cascade link for now. I feel the 170mm is plenty, and I don't want to lengthen my chainstay either, while also lowering the BB height. The price increase isn't helping much either...

Posted: Jul 22, 2020 at 3:27 Quote
fredro wrote:
Yeah I'm holding off on the new cascade link for now. I feel the 170mm is plenty, and I don't want to lengthen my chainstay either, while also lowering the BB height. The price increase isn't helping much either...

Yeah I've not been able to figure out if the bb height stays the same or not? I've read folk saying it does and it doesnt...

I bought the nomad with an eye to replace my dh bike, but I've since decided I dont want to sell my dh bike either so keeping both!

If I get the cascade link then my nomad is going more and more into dh bike territory which seems pointless having two bikes with so much overlap in use.

I'm the same in that I dont really want or need extra travel. 170 feels like enough for me. But I actually would like the longer chainstays. If the link would help the bike sit higher in the travel and really make a difference to pedal strikes then I'd probably give it a try even with the extra travel that I dont want. But with the new price increase its now just way way too much money to spend on something that might not actually give what I want.

my dh bike is looooong with 459mm chainstays, I'm not usually able to feel much differences between frames and geometry tbh but riding the nomad has made me realise how much more straight line speed and stability the long chainstays on the dh bike give.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007059
Mobile Version of Website