show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Author Message
Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 22:48 Quote
RBorek wrote:
No link change, same eye to eye, just running a longer stroke. Ive heard 2021 hightower builds are coming with this spec too.

You are correct.

2021 has the same shock as 2020 just with the stroke limiter spacer removed from the damper shaft inside the air can there. Giving the hightower stock setup 2021 more rear travel than the 2020 stock setup.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 at 23:35 Quote
It's fairly easy to remove the stroke spacer if you have a steady pair if hands. Cut 95% of the way through it in two or three places and then snap it off with pliers. Be very careful to protect the rest if the shock from swarf, and don't scratch the shaft.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 18:59 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
WoodenBanana wrote:
I live in Delaware currently and I'm thinking that I'm crazy for buying a Hightower for the trails we have here, mostly flat compared to a lot of other places. I'm originally from PA tho, so my thought was buy one bike that I know will be good for the surrounding tri state area, especially if I decide to hit up a blue mtn or mountain creek bike park eventually.

There’s a crew of every-weekend regulars consisting of all skill levels at Blue that call the far right corner of the right lot nearest the lift immediately when you pull in home, swing by, say hi, bring a beer, and take a few laps. Good times, good scene.

I'll have to remember that for if and when my bike ever shows up. Probably end up being next summer when I'll be making trips to bike parks, plus I figure it gives me time to piece together body protection over the winter. Figure I'll need it if it at all resembles any of my riding of Blue Mtn in the winter months back in the day lmao.

Posted: Sep 10, 2020 at 23:15 Quote
Vanislandbloomer wrote:

Holy shit dude, how do you ride with your brake levers at that angle?? Very confused

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 21:49 Quote
New Hightower arrived. It's unreal. Have about 8 rides on it now. Dropped it off at the shop for some fine tuning. So far it's everthing I expected and more. Done just about all the types of riding available in my area from bike park to techy steep stuff. It handles it all. Makes you want to ride fast. Super playful bike. Jumps great. I am thinking about getting the cascade components linkage but will play around with more pressure. I found I went through the travel in the rear in very high speed compressions at the park. The park is not indicative of everyday riding but I will ride it hard.

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 5:36 Quote
rebel12 wrote:
New Hightower arrived. It's unreal. Have about 8 rides on it now. Dropped it off at the shop for some fine tuning. So far it's everthing I expected and more. Done just about all the types of riding available in my area from bike park to techy steep stuff. It handles it all. Makes you want to ride fast. Super playful bike. Jumps great. I am thinking about getting the cascade components linkage but will play around with more pressure. I found I went through the travel in the rear in very high speed compressions at the park. The park is not indicative of everyday riding but I will ride it hard.

Love the color. Salute

Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 6:07 Quote
Went in the Alps last weekend, I installed new DHR2 2.6 front/rear and it was perfect.


Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 23:44 Quote
seraph wrote:
Vanislandbloomer wrote:

Holy shit dude, how do you ride with your brake levers at that angle?? Very confused

I think i had just rolled my bar back after swapping fork. Normally i ride with my levers flat though

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 22:03 Quote
Vanislandbloomer wrote:
seraph wrote:
Vanislandbloomer wrote:

Holy shit dude, how do you ride with your brake levers at that angle?? Very confused

I think i had just rolled my bar back after swapping fork. Normally i ride with my levers flat though

Like, parallel to the ground? Jesus, my wrists hurt just thinking about it! Eek

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
seraph wrote:

Like, parallel to the ground? Jesus, my wrists hurt just thinking about it! Eek

I think I run mine at like 80 degrees. It feels better to me when riding steep stuff. Keeps the pressure on your hands more square vs having to tense your wrist.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 1:19 Quote
I guess I've just got weird hands then, I almost run my levers vertical. Running them flat like yours would basically break my wrists.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 6:29 Quote
Austink wrote:
seraph wrote:

Like, parallel to the ground? Jesus, my wrists hurt just thinking about it! Eek

I think I run mine at like 80 degrees. It feels better to me when riding steep stuff. Keeps the pressure on your hands more square vs having to tense your wrist.

agreed, the flatter position helps keep your body more rearward which is helpful in steep stuff. i couldnt imagine running vertical levers anymore

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 6:48 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
Austink wrote:
seraph wrote:

Like, parallel to the ground? Jesus, my wrists hurt just thinking about it! Eek

I think I run mine at like 80 degrees. It feels better to me when riding steep stuff. Keeps the pressure on your hands more square vs having to tense your wrist.

agreed, the flatter position helps keep your body more rearward which is helpful in steep stuff. i couldnt imagine running vertical levers anymore

100%!!!!! One of my favorite local trails is 4 miles of DH averaging 20% grade and can be loose with nice drops. If you can’t keep yourself over the back tire you are in trouble. Also by the time you get halfway through if your levers are vertical you will have a nice case of arm pump.
I will adjust my levers for whatever type of riding I am doing. I am a believer in “ride what’s comfortable for you” but for majority of riders if you ride consistently steep trails your levers will rise once you get faster.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
Austink wrote:


I think I run mine at like 80 degrees. It feels better to me when riding steep stuff. Keeps the pressure on your hands more square vs having to tense your wrist.

agreed, the flatter position helps keep your body more rearward which is helpful in steep stuff. i couldnt imagine running vertical levers anymore

100%!!!!! One of my favorite local trails is 4 miles of DH averaging 20% grade and can be loose with nice drops. If you can’t keep yourself over the back tire you are in trouble. Also by the time you get halfway through if your levers are vertical you will have a nice case of arm pump.
I will adjust my levers for whatever type of riding I am doing. I am a believer in “ride what’s comfortable for you” but for majority of riders if you ride consistently steep trails your levers will rise once you get faster.

Like everything it is a personal choice so do what works for you but a lot of pro and very fast riders have their levers almost flat

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
Or trails around here are not steep. They are long, gradual, and wide open. There's no tight techy riding.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008174
Mobile Version of Website