show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 15:17 Quote
seraph wrote:
Or trails around here are not steep. They are long, gradual, and wide open. There's no tight techy riding.

if you’re still in marin, you haven’t explored enough. otherwise, big RIP

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 17:48 Quote
Austink wrote:
seraph wrote:

Like, parallel to the ground? Jesus, my wrists hurt just thinking about it! Eek

I think I run mine at like 80 degrees. It feels better to me when riding steep stuff. Keeps the pressure on your hands more square vs having to tense your wrist.

i climb a lot so the heel of my hand sits on the bar takes all the weight. For descending on this bike with it being "steep" compared to the spartan my body weight is back more rather than over that front wheel. If that makes sense. I just put my digi level on it and i"m 80 degrees now too. Probably worth noting i live at the base of Mt.Prevost. I ride Mt.Tzouhalem, Maple mountain, Prevost and Whistler. That may change setup based on your home hills and mine

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 17:54 Quote
billyno wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

agreed, the flatter position helps keep your body more rearward which is helpful in steep stuff. i couldnt imagine running vertical levers anymore

100%!!!!! One of my favorite local trails is 4 miles of DH averaging 20% grade and can be loose with nice drops. If you can’t keep yourself over the back tire you are in trouble. Also by the time you get halfway through if your levers are vertical you will have a nice case of arm pump.
I will adjust my levers for whatever type of riding I am doing. I am a believer in “ride what’s comfortable for you” but for majority of riders if you ride consistently steep trails your levers will rise once you get faster.

Like everything it is a personal choice so do what works for you but a lot of pro and very fast riders have their levers almost flat

Totally agree i found that for me. Going back to the hardtail(which i love) if my levers aren't flat i get brake pump on steep stuff. With the chameleon not being that slack, the flat position helps my push down into my travel rather than over the bars and offset the front hub... which isn't an awesome feeling railing a corner

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 18:52 Quote
Vanislandbloomer wrote:
Probably worth noting i live at the base of Mt.Prevost. I ride Mt.Tzouhalem, Maple mountain, Prevost and Whistler.

Show off lol

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Vanislandbloomer wrote:
Probably worth noting i live at the base of Mt.Prevost. I ride Mt.Tzouhalem, Maple mountain, Prevost and Whistler.

Show off lol

I didn't say i ride them with grace lol

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 23:10 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:
Or trails around here are not steep. They are long, gradual, and wide open. There's no tight techy riding.

I can't afford to get a ticket riding illegal trails. I rode them a lot when I was a kid though. Tickets are usually about $300 and that's money better spent on bike parts.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 6:35 Quote
seraph wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:

I can't afford to get a ticket riding illegal trails. I rode them a lot when I was a kid though. Tickets are usually about $300 and that's money better spent on bike parts.

i get that, i hate getting yelled at by hikers even more.
but even so, quite a few trails that are either “essentially legal“, or remote enough that the possibility of seeing another person, let alone a ranger, is near none.
on top of that, theres pacifica, which is more than just big jumps, and even more stuff in sonoma/napa that is completely legal and actually bike-only. your tallboy is 110% worthy of it too...

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 6:53 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

i get that, i hate getting yelled at by hikers even more.
but even so, quite a few trails that are either “essentially legal“, or remote enough that the possibility of seeing another person, let alone a ranger, is near none.
on top of that, theres pacifica, which is more than just big jumps, and even more stuff in sonoma/napa that is completely legal and actually bike-only. your tallboy is 110% worthy of it too...

Definitely some great trails in Pacifica. One of my favorite rock gardens is there.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 9:48 Quote
I think you guys overestimate how much time I have to ride every week. I literally get one day a week to ride.

Honestly though steep shit isn't really my jam anymore. If I were still in my 20s and a lot more flexible maybe.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:02 Quote
seraph wrote:
I think you guys overestimate how much time I have to ride every week. I literally get one day a week to ride.

Honestly though steep shit isn't really my jam anymore. If I were still in my 20s and a lot more flexible maybe.

Yoga lol

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
seraph wrote:

I get that, also saw your gravel/cx build recently and i know how much easier it is to just go for a gravel spin when you don't have a lot of time.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:

I get that, also saw your gravel/cx build recently and i know how much easier it is to just go for a gravel spin when you don't have a lot of time.

Absolutely easier to pound out 30-50 miles on the road+ bike. Kind of more fun to go a super long distance too. Though my friend just moved back from Boston and he's a better MTB rider than I am (not to mention 13 years younger) so maybe we'll do some exploring on MTBs.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
seraph wrote:

Dude, I have two decades on you and love steep shit. When you are my age you’ll wish you didn’t act old when you were in fact young Wink

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:39 Quote
billyno wrote:
seraph wrote:

Dude, I have two decades on you and love steep shit. When you are my age you’ll wish you didn’t act old when you were in fact young Wink

Have you been working a job where you stand on your feet for 8 hours a day 5 days a week and work with your hands for the last 20 years? Because I have.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
Well, you are not the first, nor the last person who did that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008085
Mobile Version of Website