show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 6:03 Quote
Bike24 has enduro bearings needle bearings. Some guys have said they develop play / creak at some point bur havent had trouble with mine (8 months in).

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 6:48 Quote
bikefuturist wrote:
Bike24 has enduro bearings needle bearings. Some guys have said they develop play / creak at some point bur havent had trouble with mine (8 months in).

ah thanks dude, didnt realise bike24 had them. have also heard some folk saying they develop play a bit faster but I'm happy to take a chance. Cheers

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
bikefuturist wrote:

ah thanks dude, didnt realise bike24 had them. have also heard some folk saying they develop play a bit faster but I'm happy to take a chance. Cheers

The needle bearing setups do develop play quicker then the air shock setup you had.

If you're buying a fox coil I suggest buying the 8x30mm bearing kit for it.

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
nubbs wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
bikefuturist wrote:

The needle bearing setups do develop play quicker then the air shock setup you had.

I've used both - enduro needle and fox 8x30 with my Super Deluxe Air and DVO Jade.
I like fox much more. Definitely lives longer. There's only one small con - you can't swap coil or remove air can without removing it.

I'd recommend first to buy enduro needle bearings (they're just around 15 euros, and in my case two pairs lasted only a few month each) figure out the coil rate and then switch to fox kit.

P.S. The difference between DU-bushing and a bearing is significant.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 13:25 Quote
mafflin wrote:
nubbs wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:

I've used both - enduro needle and fox 8x30 with my Super Deluxe Air and DVO Jade.
I like fox much more. Definitely lives longer. There's only one small con - you can't swap coil or remove air can without removing it.

So I'd recommend first to buy enduro needle bearings (they're just around 15 euros, and in my case two pairs lasted only a few month each) figure out the coil rate and then switch to fox kit.

So I went to bike24 to order but of course they are out of stock of the 8x30mm size that I need for the nomad. It says 17 to 18 weeks before they have it back in stock... Great.

I think I'm going to just order the RWC kit from america since they have the DU bushing tool and the needle bearing installation tool. The bearing kit and the two tools comes to $80 plus shipping.

The RWC kits also come with a selection of 'axles' to ensure ideal fit. I'm quite pedantic and like having the correct tools, so is it best just to order from RWC?

Or is there another europe based supplier? Cheers

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
mafflin wrote:

I'd recommend first to buy enduro needle bearings (they're just around 15 euros, and in my case two pairs lasted only a few month each) figure out the coil rate and then switch to fox kit.

Yeah I was thinking this. I dont really mind the shorter service interval to be honest. I service all my own bikes and keep them tip top. So thinking that if I go with RWC I'll have the tool at least and then can order just the individual roller bearings from europe when the first one wears out.

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 22:55 Quote
photo

small update, fitted a 180mm 2021 air shaft and a new spring (lost some weight and had to drop to a 300lb spring)

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 0:52 Quote
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
mafflin wrote:

Yeah I was thinking this. I dont really mind the shorter service interval to be honest. I service all my own bikes and keep them tip top. So thinking that if I go with RWC I'll have the tool at least and then can order just the individual roller bearings from europe when the first one wears out.
Buy a fox kit, on bike24 it'll be two times cheaper.

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 0:55 Quote
slow-coach wrote:
photo

small update, fitted a 180mm 2021 air shaft and a new spring (lost some weight and had to drop to a 300lb spring)
Looks sweet.
300lb? Wow ) What's your weight?

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 4:44 Quote
mafflin wrote:
G-horseNoBrakes wrote:
mafflin wrote:

Buy a fox kit, on bike24 it'll be two times cheaper.

Is the fox kit compatible with any other brand of shock? I have an EXT ARMA shock

Edit - never mind, read up and seems like the fox kit requires a $110 tool if you want to remove it properly.

I've ordered RCW kit now, thanks for everyones input!

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
Sorry, duplicate

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 8:17 Quote
Views: 257    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 8:21 Quote
Norecoil wrote:
Views: 257    Faves: 0    Comments: 0
same video?

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
mafflin wrote:
slow-coach wrote:
photo

Looks sweet.
300lb? Wow ) What's your weight?

thanks dude, I'm about 53kg

Posted: Nov 14, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
116 lbs??? Holy shit you're light.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018432
Mobile Version of Website