show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Author Message
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
seraph wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
my buddy bought a tallboy 3 as his first full suspension bike (but he can ride pretty good), he's wanting to upgrade it to feel more capable and less xc. any suggestions? i tried to steer him towards a hightower lt or nomad, but i think he was too worried about climbing performance to get a bike with that much suspension.

Tell him to increase the front travel by 10mm, run the maximum width tires, run 180mm rotors front and rear, and make sure to use a short stem and wide bars. I always thought that the TB3 could be a pretty fun downcountry bike with the right setup. Shame it didn't have better tire clearance.

yeah i figured i could drop my old 36 to 130mm and give that to him. Sucks that you can't get a coil shock for that bike either.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
my buddy bought a tallboy 3 as his first full suspension bike (but he can ride pretty good), he's wanting to upgrade it to feel more capable and less xc. any suggestions? i tried to steer him towards a hightower lt or nomad, but i think he was too worried about climbing performance to get a bike with that much suspension.

Tell him to increase the front travel by 10mm, run the maximum width tires, run 180mm rotors front and rear, and make sure to use a short stem and wide bars. I always thought that the TB3 could be a pretty fun downcountry bike with the right setup. Shame it didn't have better tire clearance.

yeah i figured i could drop my old 36 to 130mm and give that to him. Sucks that you can't get a coil shock for that bike either.

It looks like it comes with a 34, (I'm guessing) you could buy a 130mm air shaft for 50 bucks instead of a new fork. You could also buy an angleset to slacken the front up a couple of degrees to make it a little more DH capable. Maybe upgrade to some wider rims. (I don't know what it has but I'm guessing it has pretty narrow xc rims). I felt a huge difference in stability and cornering traction when I upgraded my 5010 from 23mm to 30mm rims. Also I don't think you can shorten old 36 to 130, I think you can only do that on the brand new 2021 36s

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 19:20 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:


Tell him to increase the front travel by 10mm, run the maximum width tires, run 180mm rotors front and rear, and make sure to use a short stem and wide bars. I always thought that the TB3 could be a pretty fun downcountry bike with the right setup. Shame it didn't have better tire clearance.

yeah i figured i could drop my old 36 to 130mm and give that to him. Sucks that you can't get a coil shock for that bike either.

It looks like it comes with a 34, (I'm guessing) you could buy a 130mm air shaft for 50 bucks instead of a new fork. You could also buy an angleset to slacken the front up a couple of degrees to make it a little more DH capable. Maybe upgrade to some wider rims. (I don't know what it has but I'm guessing it has pretty narrow xc rims). I felt a huge difference in stability and cornering traction when I upgraded my 5010 from 23mm to 30mm rims. Also I don't think you can shorten old 36 to 130, I think you can only do that on the brand new 2021 36s

you can install spacers on the airshaft to lower it in 10mm increments. I just figured that’d be a good option since i have the fork sitting in my garage. Wide rims is a good call too

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 22:29 Quote
Niclestreeteur wrote:
Almost ready! Miss the Hope's brakes (currently out of stock) and the rear derailleur ( currently out of... ) Big Grin

Santa Cruz Nomad v4

Welcome to orange Nomad club dude

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 15:16 Quote
slow-coach wrote:
Niclestreeteur wrote:
Almost ready! Miss the Hope's brakes (currently out of stock) and the rear derailleur ( currently out of... ) Big Grin

Santa Cruz Nomad v4

Welcome to orange Nomad club dude



Woop!

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 18:30 Quote
b00 yA! I had to do a double take there, thought it was the same bike at first.

Those frames look s00pa'-d00pa' in that color!

~JSV

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 18:36 Quote
@Solorider13
What's that drivechain/cassette? That a Shimano?

~JSV

PS- wait I think I just saw the SLX on the crank, is that it?

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
2021 Heckler S build mullet


Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 20:30 Quote
blueglide wrote:
2021 Heckler S build mullet


Your rear rotor is on backwards.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
tup Eek you're right Big Grin I never noticed..I coulda died Big Grin I wonder if it actually matters

Just corrected it. tup

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
@Solorider13
What's that drivechain/cassette? That a Shimano?

~JSV

PS- wait I think I just saw the SLX on the crank, is that it?

SRAM X01

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
my buddy bought a tallboy 3 as his first full suspension bike (but he can ride pretty good), he's wanting to upgrade it to feel more capable and less xc. any suggestions? i tried to steer him towards a hightower lt or nomad, but i think he was too worried about climbing performance to get a bike with that much suspension.

Tell him to increase the front travel by 10mm, run the maximum width tires, run 180mm rotors front and rear, and make sure to use a short stem and wide bars. I always thought that the TB3 could be a pretty fun downcountry bike with the right setup. Shame it didn't have better tire clearance.

yeah i figured i could drop my old 36 to 130mm and give that to him. Sucks that you can't get a coil shock for that bike either.

i have a TB3 with the 9.8 slack-r, which puts it around 66.5 degrees. Install is pretty easy and quickly reversable. I actually lowered it from 130 to 120 because the slack-r lower cup adds 10mm of height. Its a fun bike and plenty capable. I have an HTLT for more rowdy riding, but the TB3 with the angleset, guides, and 30mm internal carbon wheels is a very killer trail bike. I picked up the slack-r to try in both bikes, but thought the TB3 was the obvious choice until boredom sets in.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
sennaster wrote:
newbermuda wrote:
seraph wrote:


Tell him to increase the front travel by 10mm, run the maximum width tires, run 180mm rotors front and rear, and make sure to use a short stem and wide bars. I always thought that the TB3 could be a pretty fun downcountry bike with the right setup. Shame it didn't have better tire clearance.

yeah i figured i could drop my old 36 to 130mm and give that to him. Sucks that you can't get a coil shock for that bike either.

i have a TB3 with the 9.8 slack-r, which puts it around 66.5 degrees. Install is pretty easy and quickly reversable. I actually lowered it from 130 to 120 because the slack-r lower cup adds 10mm of height. Its a fun bike and plenty capable. I have an HTLT for more rowdy riding, but the TB3 with the angleset, guides, and 30mm internal carbon wheels is a very killer trail bike. I picked up the slack-r to try in both bikes, but thought the TB3 was the obvious choice until boredom sets in.

Oh thats good to know, i was looking at one of those for a blur before i bought a transition spur. I'll let him know about that one, they're pretty cheap too IIRC

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 10:11 Quote
I tend to agree, though I felt like was skirting the edge of my safety with thr TB3 I had. For me that bike was a scalpel where I needed a steak knife, not quite machete. Haha I ran 30mm ID wheels, 50mm stem, 120 fox 34. 130 would probably would helped that feeling, it was very precise and could punish the lack of precise input. Still very capable, I just feel more comfortable, more confident on my HTLT.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
blueglide wrote:
tup Eek you're right Big Grin I never noticed..I coulda died Big Grin I wonder if it actually matters

Just corrected it. tup

It does matter technically, the rotor is designed to brace in a certain direction.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009932
Mobile Version of Website