Bike Dogs

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 0:57 Quote
Hey! I thought I'd set up a group concerning some of our favorite riding partners...our dogs!

Here we can tell stories about riding with our dogs as well as post pics or videos. We can discuss trail encounters (IE our dogs with other dogs, wild animals, people, anything really)

Also other good topics could be equipment or accessories for riding with dogs, discussing breeds/mixes, keeping our four legged buddies healthy and in shape for riding. Training and socialization....you name it.

Also, if you think your dog is the greatest dog on earth, as most of us do. Tell us about it. Even if you don't take them riding.

I would like to keep the discussion limited to dogs and biking or dogs in general so as not to get off topic and ruin it for it's intended purpose.

Thanks guys, now help me post some stuff and let's get this group rolling.

Rules are as follows:
-No spamming (this includes one-word posts/ "jotnote" posts)
-No linking to distasteful websites
-No swearing
-No flaming
-No distasteful pictures
-No vulgar posts, no nudity, no rude, crude or obscene pictures
-No soliciting in the thread
-No discussing about torrents/other forms of piracy
-No MSN style posts (please use proper words and grammar)
-No feeding trolls/inappropriate posts
-No talking about illicit/illegal activity

#MODS rottenguy #MODS

#USERS all #USERS

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 1:38 Quote
photo

My rockin little riding partner Chianti.

She's a 1 1/2 year old American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff) and she's the perfect riding buddy. She's always up for a ride no matter the weather and charges hard along the trail as long as I wanna ride. Could there be a better ride buddy?

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 2:51 Quote
nice thread rottenguy
well here is zara she's a 4yr old doberman who always comes riding with me and my mates.As always up for a long run or just a cuddle with the girls
photo
and also there is jake a jack russell cross who only has 3 legs but still tags along
photo

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 5:12 Quote
I was considering buying a dog to take it with me when I ride. But always was afraid of him getting in my way and hurting him. So how is it? could it be an impediment, it has to have some sort of training?

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 6:27 Quote
i take my dog riding and she loves it! she is a staffordshire bullterrier and my god is she fast! not the cleverst dog either as she tends to try and follow me literally every where... over jumps, down drops etc. ^^ you dont need to train a dog just make sure they follow you, so having a good relationship with your mutt is a must but that goes without saying!

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
fiveus123 wrote:
nice thread rottenguy
well here is zara she's a 4yr old doberman who always comes riding with me and my mates.As always up for a long run or just a cuddle with the girls
photo
and also there is jake a jack russell cross who only has 3 legs but still tags along
photo

It's amazing how dogs cope with things like that. I work with dogs and I see amazing stuff all the time. Dogs don't dwell on things or feel sorry for themselves they just get on with business. Pretty cool actually.

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 8:09 Quote
knoxx wrote:
I was considering buying a dog to take it with me when I ride. But always was afraid of him getting in my way and hurting him. So how is it? could it be an impediment, it has to have some sort of training?

Well, some basic obedience training and socialization could make life a lot easier. That way commands can be given on the move to help keep the dog out of harms way. It's made my rides a lot easier and more fun. I can tell Chianti to heel beside the bike, fall back when needed as well as just plain get out of the way. It's also nice because she has a real good recall and comes to me when called before chasing wildlife or if we encounter something or someone else on the trails.

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 8:11 Quote
fooboy86 wrote:
i take my dog riding and she loves it! she is a staffordshire bullterrier and my god is she fast! not the cleverst dog either as she tends to try and follow me literally every where... over jumps, down drops etc. ^^ you dont need to train a dog just make sure they follow you, so having a good relationship with your mutt is a must but that goes without saying!

They can really move, can't they? Must be a terrier thing. Smile

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 8:16 Quote
At my local dh spot, theres this point where the tracks meet, this kid came down after a guy went past, then his big dog hit him at full tilt where the tracks cross, knocked him off and just carried on as if nothing had happened, so make sure to try to keep your dog out of the way of other riders!

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 8:42 Quote
rottenguy wrote:
fooboy86 wrote:

They can really move, can't they? Must be a terrier thing. Smile

yeah they can! when she is running she tends to get quite low to the ground as well... must be cleverer than i thought and has figured out traction vs centre of gravity!

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 9:08 Quote
Awesome. This thread is awesome.

I miss my dog so much. Its been two years since we had to put him down. He never really got to ride with me cos he had some sort of arthritis in his later years. But he was the best. I don´t think I will be owning a dog any time soon, because he was it, he was my dog, period.

He´s name was Eddie. Yeah, after the Iron Maiden Monster from their album artwork.

I have so many stories of him. He was badass.

This pic has been my POD since he was put to sleep. Leave a comment for the dude.

photo

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 9:17 Quote
photo
this is molly she likes to dig whilst were riding

photo
this is jake he lost his leg when ran in front of car.it's not held him bak he still an idiot lol
and i can't forget sandy ready for the off
photo

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 9:19 Quote
thrice wrote:
Awesome. This thread is awesome.

I miss my dog so much. Its been two years since we had to put him down. He never really got to ride with me cos he had some sort of arthritis in his later years. But he was the best. I don´t think I will be owning a dog any time soon, because he was it, he was my dog, period.

He´s name was Eddie. Yeah, after the Iron Maiden Monster from their album artwork.

I have so many stories of him. He was badass.

This pic has been my POD since he was put to sleep. Leave a comment for the dude.

photo
what a beutiful dog..rip eddie

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 9:55 Quote
fiveus123 wrote:
photo
this is molly she likes to dig whilst were riding

photo
this is jake he lost his leg when ran in front of car.it's not held him bak he still an idiot lol
and i can't forget sandy ready for the off
photo

You have awesome dogs there too. Amazing how they keep going no matter what. Props to the pirate dog there. I was ran over by a car once while biking, so I feel for him lol. And that last one is hilarious.

FL
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 at 10:26 Quote
+1 for such a cool thread.
I love reading other people's experiences with riding trails with their dogs. I have a 4 year old yellow lab. She is a tank. Every time I start getting my riding gear together, she starts going crazy. She is down to go out on any ride, in any kind of weather, at any time. It does make me sad when the summer heat in the desert makes her have to stay home. There isn't much water or shade on some of the long rides here, and she would charge no matter what. I have to be the responsible parent.

Thanks for sharing your stories.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029477
Mobile Version of Website