Bike Dogs

Posted: Sep 25, 2015 at 8:18 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
Peanut did her first proper trail today and kept up really well. Not bad for 6 months old Smile

Peanut s first proper trail run. She s 6 months old and kept up the whole ride.

Just noticed you have a Hornet too. What excellent taste you have sir!

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 10:02 Quote
grindsphinx wrote:
willshiels wrote:
Great thread, you guy's have some really nice K9 friends! I have a Bullmastiff pup, he loves the woods and the smell of my gear allthough they are'nt really suited for long runs..
This was him when he was small...
photo
He's 4 months now and 26kg ..

I would like to own a Bullmastiff one day, how do you like your pup? hes going to be a goon of a dog, you'll beable to ride him instead of the bike one day when hes all gone growing.
I have two masstiffs a half breed bull
And a full breed brindle Spanish . The half breed (Hercules) is pushing 12 now but still comes out for a 3/5 km ride once a week on the easier flatter trails.
My Spanish (Aries ) is four now and will pound out the trail as long as I let him and it don't matter what kind of ride logging road, Xc Dh or highly tech he's right there . He really likes air time off of trail features and puddle jumping.
He took to the bike right away the only time I leash him is on main roads and when other dogs are around other then that he's fully consentrated one the ride and my commands
A few weeks ago I took him to a new trail feature I'd been building , a twelve foot rock roll off , I road down at the bottom I heard a bark I stopped turned around and he's standing at the top looking down the roll off I asked what's you waiting for? He looks right at me woofs like he's saying YOU turns back goes back down the trail out of sight , then I hear the sound of a 155 lb of dog coming to a full run and leaped right off the roll off landed a foot short where stopped and kept right on going to the berm just ahead of me without loosing speed raced through the berm to the other side . stopped spun around with the biggest dog smile he could make. Just one of the boys on the trail
That's my dog

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 10:52 Quote
[Quote="rottenguy"]
willshiels wrote:
willshiels wrote:
Great thread, you guy's have some really nice K9 friends! I have a Bullmastiff pup, he loves the woods and the smell of my gear allthough they are'nt really suited for long runs..
This was him when he was small...
photo

... I posted that ages ago, here he is now finally 1yr old and comes up the hills with me to help dig.
photo

Yeah, mastiff breeds are awesome dogs. sadly, the one area they come up short is in the distance running. Kinda like a body builder doing a marathon. You just won't see it. Smile My old rottie was a great dog but he could just not keep up when out on riding. The most he would do is settle in to a slow trot. Still, best dog I've ever had.
I have no problems with Aries (155lbs) on long runs as long as you train them for it. start out slow and short and work up to the longer and harder when riding be sure to change up the pace for them to . With Aries I start a ride at a med pace work up to full out run then ease off back to med pace going back and forth depending on terrain and of course Aries lots of water and rest breaks especially after big hills and all out runs . Going like that Aries will easily do a twenty Km ride but like us and the " body builder" they need to work up to that . Remember that stamina is rented not owned
Ps I can't figure out how to post pics if I do I'll post some pics of my boys for you

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 11:26 Quote
em-j wrote:
haha yer. i've been bitten twice badly, but only by my own dogs (when breaking up a fight). as a follow up to my previous point though i would like to say that having worked with and rehomed rescue dogs, it's amazing how a fear aggressive dog can learn to change over time given some serious love and attention. in that sense we're not so far apart from our canine friends after all Razz

now that i've got that out i shall go back to communicating in monosyllabic sentences and coffee fuelled gibberish.
Both my dogs are rescues ,Aries my younger one was so badly beaten by previous owner that no one but me could get within a city block of him . He would go ballistic from fear of humans he was terrified of humans . To this day I can't pick up a garden hose near him , he's gone in a blink (previous owners weapon of choice )Now he's cautious when first meeting a new human but no more then some fluffed neck fur no more barking and frothing uncontrollably . Once he knows you look out its time for a big dog greeting(lean on ,lick and lay on you)
As said earlier it's not the dog it's the owner

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
photo
This my new trail dog Tahnee! I can't wait to take her out when she's a little older. If anyone has any pro tips for training your dog to ride with you I'd be happy to hear them.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 11:10 Quote
www.barkanridesports.com have some awesome kit for our traildogs! A little fodder for self isolation! Hope your all keeping safe!

Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
New to the mtb world in Fl and absolutely love doing things with my dog. What’s the over all consensus on biking with your dog? Will I get weird looks for having a dog off leash?

Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 9:17 Quote
Coleworld941 wrote:
New to the mtb world in Fl and absolutely love doing things with my dog. What’s the over all consensus on biking with your dog? Will I get weird looks for having a dog off leash?
Check park rules first, but even still, most people are pretty chill with it as long as your dog isn't aggressive. I do it a lot with my dog at a park that technically requires leashes, and I've only had one angry look. Everyone else was really happy to see him!

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 3:47 Quote
It's really cool to ride a bike with dogs.) They are the best friends. What breed for road trips will you choose?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015860
Mobile Version of Website