4x bike that can do trails too?

PB Forum :: Downhill
4x bike that can do trails too?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 9:38 Quote
Im thinking of building a fs 4x type of bike that can do laps at the local bmx track and also handle some trail riding now and then. My background is BMX and motocross, so I like a bike with that moto feel. Not looking for a long travel trail bike, but would like to be able to get the seat up high enough to put in some miles on local singletrack too. I know most of the DS/4x frames are pretty low, so this idea may not work, not sure. Wondering whats out there?
-Currently riding a S&M 24"bmx cruiser, and a 26"Kappa singlespeed bmx cruiser.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 9:44 Quote
Haro thread 8 is a great all rounder bike - it has the equipment to do it all!

photo

Views: 739    Faves: 1    Comments: 19

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 9:47 Quote
Tranny Double, did everything on mine, loved it.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 10:16 Quote
how much can you buy them for and where

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 10:33 Quote
probably a transition bank will work great for you

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 10:36 Quote
I found my Double to be better for trails and 4x.

And also he says he wants a FS frame.

Oh, and the link to the Double: https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store/DetailFrame.cfm?F=DL&P=1477&R=3

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 10:43 Quote
my charge blender is great on the trails and when used for 4x (test drives available)

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 10:44 Quote
commencal meta 4x gets great reviews

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
what web site can you buy the Haro thread 8 on

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 11:37 Quote
maybe winstanleys or evans

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 12:03 Quote
I rode my Mythic (Banshee) Rampant last winter as a trail bike, by installing a longer stem (70mm) to stretch out the top tube, and a longer (410mm) seatpost to get proper pedalling height, a proper XC saddle, and I also switched to Specialized Control "Captain" kevlar / tubeless tires with Stan's sealant to lighten the wheels and give proper grip for muddy trail riding

here's the setup (ignore the tires, this is before I changed them)

photo

in use, last winter in the snow

photo

here's the usual setup with 50mm stem, 350mm seatpost, FR saddle and 4X tires

photo

its an efficient pedaller for sure, with its virtual pivot suspension and Fox RP2 air shock (which has a "firm" pro pedal switch for climbing), its also got active braking which is nice on the braking bumps you encounter on long DH trail runs

great fun to ride both on trails (XC) and freeride / DJ / 4X, the bike comes in 28-30lb depending on tires and finishing kit changes

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 12:05 Quote
hey i was wondering about getting the meta 4x, (sorry to barge in on your thread) has anyone got one? is it good for trails and some freeride and dirt jumps?

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 6:56 Quote
These are some great ideas, thanks for all the info everyone! That mythic is a great looking ride. There's also something about that Transition Double that seems to keep calling my name too..

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 9:04 Quote
cossie450bhp wrote:
my charge blender is great on the trails and when used for 4x (test drives available)

i agree with you! it is a mint bike and im going to buy one! where can you test ride one??

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014357
Mobile Version of Website