How many people would be interested in a gear hub in all sizes instead of a rear mech ??

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How many people would be interested in a gear hub in all sizes instead of a rear mech ??
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 14:28 Quote
I was just wondering if any one would be interested in a gear hub instead of a rear mech, just a 'yes' or 'no' or what ever.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 14:41 Quote
yes if it was affordable.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
same. yes if affordable.

also in a perfect world, it would have 5 - 8 gears, be pretty light and super tough.

make a poll?

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 4:31 Quote
I used them for racing in the mid 1990s - made by Sachs Huret (now known as SRAM)

worked out very well on both suspension bikes and hardtails for DH racing and dual slalom

only downside was considerable weight added to rear of bike, but you got used to that...

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 5:38 Quote
if i could service it and tune it myself, yes.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 6:37 Quote
had rohloff on an fsr bike

was okish

the first 1000km felt like the chain was coated in sand...then it wears in

though when faster it did feel like you had a trailer on the back of the bike

they are just too heavy and ruin all the goodness of suspension.

then on a trip one of the alloy bolts snapped; i then found out that nothing on the rohloff was standard so the long trip was ruined

i cam back and it was sold

gearbox bikes are the future with belt drive and none of this chain stuff

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 7:34 Quote
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
Internal hub gearing is so amazingly easy to adjust, surprisingly. You just adjust the barrel until 2 yellow marker line up on the thingamajig

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 7:37 Quote
won't a single speed setup only work on certain suspension frame's though.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 7:55 Quote
you will still need a chain tensioner for any chain growth, but it dosent need to be hanging down as close to the ground as a derialler is. not to mention it would cost 5 bucks to replace instead of 90.

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 8:16 Quote
stusuz wrote:
TyreBurningBiker wrote:
Internal hub gearing is so amazingly easy to adjust, surprisingly. You just adjust the barrel until 2 yellow marker line up on the thingamajig

yeah that being the one very good thing about rohloff

the service

once a year you empty the oil out and put in a clean fluid

ride around with the cleaning fluid

empty and replace with rohloff oil

adjustment; it works when it works

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 9:03 Quote
marquis wrote:
won't a single speed setup only work on certain suspension frame's though.
not sure but it worked on my faith for about 2 months. just used the knackered rear mech as a tensioner and it worked perfectly, only replaced it as i got hold of a the new model saint for a cheap price

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 at 9:14 Quote
You can, in theory, singlespeed any suspenion frame with the use of a tensioner.
My main issue with doing so is that you may as well just run gears anyways, as the point of running a gear hub is getting rid of the mech. If you replace the mech with a gear hub but have to run a tensioner you aren't really accomplishing much and will most likely just add weight.

I can see if of being of use in slopestyle perhaps, or 4x, dj, etc. But for the market of DH/FR I don't see it as something that would be highly desirable and DH/FR would be where having less things hanging off the frame is a good thing which would warrant the need for a gear hub.

Just my 2 cents . You dig?

If it was competitively light and reliable, without being too expensive, I might be interested.

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 at 11:45 Quote
The real problem with the gear hub is that it awkwardly adds extra weight on the rear end. Much better to add this weight at the center of the bike. I'd pay good money for a light 8 speed gear hub but optimally, a gearbox at the center of the bike would be much better (hammershmidt^4).

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009826
Mobile Version of Website