help with my singlespeed conversion

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
help with my singlespeed conversion
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 14:23 Quote
i was just wondering about this becaus ei overheard some guy talkin about it and i was wonderin if u have a 32 toothed front sprocket u can just use that and u dont have to buy a single speed conversion i was just wondering if this is true or not and if it is wat would i have to do to make it single speed

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 19:51 Quote
Well that is a kind of useless post. Sorry I don't mean to be mean, but we need to know what you have to say yes or no. If you have horizontal dropouts then you can run what ever you want. If you have verticle dropouts then maybe not. So what kind of frame do you have and what gear do you plan on running in the rear? then we can help you more. But the simple answer is No, you can't just throw on a gear with no other changes.

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 17:35 Quote
its an 07 norco rival with vertical dropouts and i dont know wat i want on the back

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 18:11 Quote
You should start with a 16T cog on the back if you have a 32T chainring on the front. This is assuming you have 26" wheels.

If this gearing is too low, you can always go to a 15T to make it harder. Or even a 14T if you like harder gearing. A new cog shouldn't be expensive.

You'll need a SS kit with spacers to hold the cog in place on the hub, or you can make one yourself to save money. You just need the cog to sit tight and have good chain alignment.

You will also need a chain tensioner since you have vertical dropouts. This will mount like a derailleur on the hanger but is smaller and just holds the chain in tension.

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 18:16 Quote
if you buy an SS kit like the guy above said, most come with 2 different size sprockets, i use 15t, but the kit comes with a 16t as well
also keep in mind you need a tensior as well (bout 30-40$)

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 18:26 Quote
stprulez wrote:
if you buy an SS kit like the guy above said, most come with 2 different size sprockets, i use 15t, but the kit comes with a 16t as well

you only need a tensioner if you have vertical drop outs!

Dis regaurd that

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 18:42 Quote
krazer wrote:
stprulez wrote:

you only need a tensioner if you have vertical drop outs!

Dis regaurd that
which is what he has...he clearly said he had them

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 18:43 Quote
taht is why I said to disregaurd that!

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 18:49 Quote
why didnt' you just not post at all

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 18:57 Quote
yea lol thats why i wasn't sure

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:13 Quote
because I didi not read the post about vertical dropouts until AFTER I posted, sorry

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:18 Quote
most humans read the post before they reply. Otherwise things could be a little disorganized. I think this man needs ten lashes.

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:20 Quote
bring it, just joking

Posted: Nov 29, 2007 at 6:40 Quote
DrDropoff wrote:
thanks peopleSmile

Is it done?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009863
Mobile Version of Website