help with my singlespeed conversion

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
help with my singlespeed conversion
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 11:31 Quote
DrDropoff wrote:
its an 07 norco rival with vertical dropouts and i dont know wat i want on the back

dmr ss kit is the best always.. with verticles.tup

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 11:40 Quote
yea dmr is a good one, expensive though. you can also get a half link chain to make up for having to use a tensioner. i fin tensioners to be irritating, they suffer the same fate as derailleurs.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 11:49 Quote
warrior1 wrote:
You will also need a chain tensioner since you have vertical dropouts. This will mount like a derailleur on the hanger but is smaller and just holds the chain in tension.

you don't always need a tensioner. i dont have one and my tension is nice. 36-18

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 8:56 Quote
jshaffer wrote:
warrior1 wrote:
You will also need a chain tensioner since you have vertical dropouts. This will mount like a derailleur on the hanger but is smaller and just holds the chain in tension.

you don't always need a tensioner. i dont have one and my tension is nice. 36-18
ive got the dmr ss and i asked the dude who fited it he said its a 9/10 chancees of not needing a tensionar. how can i get rid of mine any ideas? i dont like it.

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 8:59 Quote
and if i bought a YBN - Reluctant BMX Half Link Chain would that mean i can take my tensionair of??...would the chain be in a straight line??

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 17:54 Quote
gediminas wrote:
and if i bought a YBN - Reluctant BMX Half Link Chain would that mean i can take my tensionair of??...would the chain be in a straight line??

idk.. try.

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 18:02 Quote
no its not done yet but soon hopefully cause im gettin 160 or somthin like that at the end of this month...it should be enough and if its not ill be pissed and just keep riding without a single speed

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 18:03 Quote
You could always do what i did, it was suppose to be a quick fix by making my downhill bike a single speed but, basically find a gear you find suitable for uphill and downhill applications then shorten your chain just before it becomes too tight for that gear pop it onto the gear below and then use a wedge to make it skip to the gear you want which should be a gear higher, there should be some force needed, if it works it will be rather tight ( that is if you are lucky, if you are not then you will need to use a chain tensioner. This is a way to convert without using a single speed, however you are still carrying around extra weight of the rear cog, but it aint much.

Posted: Dec 1, 2007 at 18:18 Quote
gediminas wrote:

Your tensioner has nothing to do with your chain line, its only role is to take up slack on the chain. A half link chain will make it very likely that you will be able to scrap the tensioner. The other option is to try different gears but maintain your ratio. Some gear combinations will be right on so there's no need for a tensioner, that's how I had my old bike setup.

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 0:49 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
gediminas wrote:

Your tensioner has nothing to do with your chain line, its only role is to take up slack on the chain. A half link chain will make it very likely that you will be able to scrap the tensioner. The other option is to try different gears but maintain your ratio. Some gear combinations will be right on so there's no need for a tensioner, that's how I had my old bike setup.

dweet and how much chances are their out of 10 that it`ll work??Beer

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 9:27 Quote
gediminas wrote:
ezekiel82 wrote:
gediminas wrote:

cant go wrong with a half link chain, tis what they are made for. to eilminate pain in the ass incompatible gears and frames.

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 9:43 Quote
fenderbender wrote:
gediminas wrote:
ezekiel82 wrote:

cant go wrong with a half link chain, tis what they are made for. to eilminate pain in the ass incompatible gears and frames.

so sure 100 percent certain that it will remove my dmr tensioner???????Confused Confused tup tup
and what half link chain would you recomend for my 32:16 setup...can a bmx chain fit??

Posted: Dec 2, 2007 at 13:53 Quote
check this thread out :

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=9154

it was actually created on the same day your's was. it's a very thorough thread on single speed chains and def' answered all my questions.

i'll be using a shadow conspiracy interlock 2 half.link chain.

hope that helps Smile

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 21:34 Quote
i got a question. i want gears in the back, but singlespeed up front. what do i need to do? i mean in terms of like what cranks and sprocket should i get?

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 at 14:59 Quote
Leftwing29 wrote:
i got a question. i want gears in the back, but singlespeed up front. what do i need to do? i mean in terms of like what cranks and sprocket should i get?
don't need a special crankset unless it isn't compatable with a chain guide... almost all are. need good gear ratio, chain guide, and a good singlespeed chainring

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015545
Mobile Version of Website