YT-Industries' bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
YT-Industries' bikes
Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
LoganKM1982 wrote:
dirch wrote:
Looking at buying the Alu Tues. How does the boxxer rc perform? Thinking I would upgrade to the team or WC. Or is the money better spent on replacing the Kage?

My experience is that opinion is split with the Kage RC. I would try it out, try a few different springs, see how you like it. Minnaar preferred it over the vivid when he was on rockshox.

As for the RC I adjusted the compression shim stack, I need to pull the stack and measure the shims but I tuned out the mid speed spike with a smaller "flutter" shim in the stack that eases the transition from low to high speed compression, and a smaller tapered stack than the stock shim stack. I also added 5ml of oil to increase bottom out resistance and better match the progressive rear end leverage ratio and fitted an extra firm black spring. If you want to try this it is super easy and simple to do, I used a five dollar shim stack for a vivid off amazon, I think the L3L3 tune, I figured soft in a rear shock is extra firm in a fork. I got lucky and it worked. Make sure you record and keep the stock shims though, so you can still make any valid warranty claims.

If I had the money I would at least get a charger damper for it, or even better, an avalanche cartridge. The damping assembly in the RC is a lot of plastic, the rebound assembly shaft is a smaller diameter than the charger's too. Rockshox adjusted this for the charger damper to make it more robust. I love rock gardens though, so I haven't been merciful with mine and nothing has broken yet.

So I would suggest researching after market dampers. It's literally cheaper to get a charger damper and air spring for an RC than to get a full MSRP boxxer world cup. Just make sure you put the air spring in before you use the fork, or the coil spring can scratch the interior of the stancion. Alternatively, if you want to ride it with the coil (Howie verified this) you can switch the damper stancion to the spring side, and the spring stancion to the damper side. I've heard of people putting in an air spring after a season with a coil fitted no problem too.

I would definitely get the Tues btw, the 2017 model has a better drivetrain and wheels, in my opinion only the stock RC holds it back. Well, and the guide brakes, I'm saving for some new codes. I weigh 220lbs and with a 39lbs+ bike they get hot fast, still work but they get loud after extended downhills. I imagine if you weigh less your mileage will definitely vary.

Wow, that was long winded and I sound full of myself. Hope I didn't talk down at all as I have no idea how much of this you might already know, and I hope it helped.
Thanks man, that's exactly the sort of break down I'm after. I've been having a look at aftermarket dampers and it's either the charger or avalanche which I'll go for.
A friend just received his large CF Tues, which I'm taking for a spin. But I didn't expect the Geo to be different between CF and Alu models. I assume the ride feel will still be similar? My other option atm is the new Commencal Furious, which is similar pricing, but the 2017 Tues is slightly better spec.

Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 15:22 Quote
Yeah, I'm wary of commencal myself, I used to be a fanboy too. I still secretly lust after a Fox equipped dh 4.2 though. Mainly I've heard of binding shocks on new frames from alignment issues, and a lot of the spec they fit on their bikes , like the x5 Sram stuff, is just too cheap.

Right now the Nukeproof Pulse Comp is $2479 USD on Chain Reaction Cycles. It comes with a very similar spec, proven wheels, a Boxxer Team so no upgrade there, and the same Kage RC. They even have it in large.

I've seen the 2017 Tues AL in Reno at the YT offices though, and that's the bike I would go for. Hard to deny all the glowing reviews of the Tues too. The GX drive train with the e13 wheels is so nice, and honestly except for the mid speed spike with the stock shim stack, the fork has been great.

I hit a black diamond trail for the first time on mine and hit 47mph out of the gate, since then it's only gotten better.

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 8:16 Quote
Riding Capra in whistler bikepark is so much fun !

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 9:43 Quote
The Boxxer RC is pretty darn decent, no issues there. On the other hand, the Kage sucks ass to be honest. To be fair though, it did last me almost a year before it blew. And about the geo, It is the same angles but the carbon model feels quite a bit different, and they come with a different bar/stem setup so that makes a difference too.

stuiewarrior wrote:
LoganKM1982 wrote:
stuiewarrior wrote:

By the time you spend the money upgrading them bit you could afford the base carbon model and would have a much better spec over all.

Also having ridden both the carbon model has much better angles. Alot lower and slacker. Alu geo is out dated in myn opinion

How different is the Geo? WTF Yt?

Just looked at the geo aint it doesnt look to much difference on paper but it felt really different, could of just been his set up tho. It was probs the bottom bracket a reach that made it feel different.

I was told they just used the old 26inch front triangle but i dunno how true that is

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 9:58 Quote
How did your Kage blow? Broken shaft?

Thanks for the info. Based on build kit I'm going CF next year, I prefer an aluminum frame but I can't justify replacing parts on the AL when the CF is sitting right there all kitted out perfectly.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 10:00 Quote
And fml, I went 37 mph my first ride, 47 and I would have pissed myself.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
Bushings I believe. dampening was gone.

LoganKM1982 wrote:
How did your Kage blow? Broken shaft?

Thanks for the info. Based on build kit I'm going CF next year, I prefer an aluminum frame but I can't justify replacing parts on the AL when the CF is sitting right there all kitted out perfectly.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 12:18 Quote
Have had two full bike park days with it so far and man what a difference. Shifts like butter and haven't had it drop a gear on me yet. Plus no frayed cable!

LoganKM1982 wrote:
STV3 wrote:
Just got my new Sram GX DH drivetrain installed last night. Took me a while to get everything on and set up due to the fact it was my first time swapping those components, but it was pretty straight forward.

Just shifting while my bike was on the stand, it already seems much smoother than the X9 th bike came with. And more importantly no more snapping gear cables every few weeks.

Ill be testing it out fully at the bike park later today.

F#@$ing sweet! They look like they don't ghost shift and drastically reduce chain slap the way the cage only swings on a horizontal axis and only pivots on a vertical axis

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 13:12 Quote
That's rad! So stoked that Sram has such nice budget drivetrain options. And just plain nice drivetrains, I miss Shimano less and less every day.

Also, I've been burning through Sintered pads on my guides and yeah, the lever throw is all f****d off once they get past half worn. Hopefully the extra oil volume in the codes reservoir deals with the issue.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 13:48 Quote
Yeah I just installed the new RSC in the rear. It came with brand new pads, and after a full day at the park yesterday I can already feel the same thing happening Thumbs Down

LoganKM1982 wrote:
That's rad! So stoked that Sram has such nice budget drivetrain options. And just plain nice drivetrains, I miss Shimano less and less every day.

Also, I've been burning through Sintered pads on my guides and yeah, the lever throw is all f****d off once they get past half worn. Hopefully the extra oil volume in the codes reservoir deals with the issue.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 14:34 Quote
STV3 wrote:
Yeah I just installed the new RSC in the rear. It came with brand new pads, and after a full day at the park yesterday I can already feel the same thing happening Thumbs Down

LoganKM1982 wrote:

I was relieved when I noticed it happening though, only because I bled my brakes three times in two hours trying to get one brake with worn pads to match the snappy feel of the other brake, that had new pads.

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 17:58 Quote
Hey guys. I Just received my 2017 Cf Team a week ago. I have 3 days on it, and the LG1 Hub and 7sp cassette has crazy drag when ridden . Its almost unrideable. I emailed YT. They suggested chain length to long. Chain was correct. Upon further inspection, when I tighten the rear axle to proper torque spec, it drags the cassette... I took it apart and cannot see any issue as its a pretty simple setup. Any ideas? I'm calling YT on Monday
Thanks

Posted: Aug 12, 2017 at 19:10 Quote
P90xgreg wrote:
Hey guys. I Just received my 2017 Cf Team a week ago. I have 3 days on it, and the LG1 Hub and 7sp cassette has crazy drag when ridden . Its almost unrideable. I emailed YT. They suggested chain length to long. Chain was correct. Upon further inspection, when I tighten the rear axle to proper torque spec, it drags the cassette... I took it apart and cannot see any issue as its a pretty simple setup. Any ideas? I'm calling YT on Monday
Thanks

Do you have torque specs on the hub and cassette? Maybe something is way too tight in there. That's my only thought, that or a manufacturing default with the rear wheel.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:13 Quote
P90xgreg wrote:
Thanks
Too much high viscosity grease in the seal between the cassette and the free hub would be my guess. Especially as e*thirteen is using pretty heavy grease for the hubs.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:23 Quote
P90xgreg wrote:
Thanks

Had the same problem, in just tried to unscrew the casette and i couldnt, but it looks like i unscrewd it just enough that i dont have that drag anymore

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014113
Mobile Version of Website