Your most annoying bike shop employee/experience and why?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Your most annoying bike shop employee/experience and why?
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 at 20:08 Quote
They have their thread to complain about customers, we need our thread to complain about them...
Fire away kids but keep it clean and respectful...

Posted: Nov 16, 2009 at 20:15 Quote
I hate having to show them what the problem is and do half the work youself and still be charged 60 bucks an hour

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 2:54 Quote
several times i have been told by halfords staff that 'nah mate, you cant get one of those' because they either dont know how to use the system to find the part i need or they cant be bothered.

a while back i needed a rear mech hanger. before i had even told the guy the part number he said, and i quote

'nobody makes those mate. if the frame is still under warranty we can replace it for you'

he was going to give me a new frame instead if going into the drawer at the counter, opening the box marked 'rear mech hangers' and fishing out BETD part No. 25.

when i showed him where they were kept(it was abouyt the 3rd one i bought from there) he said 'theyre not for sale'

i pointed out that they were indeed for sale and had the price marked on them, and, further to that, in contradiction to his previous statement that nobody made them, he could quite easily have got me one by looking for that part number on the system.

even when faced with this evidence he maintained that they werent for sale, didnt exist and i had to return the frame under its warranty card. exasperated i took one out of the box and scanned it myself and sure enough the price came up £14:99. he just tutted and walked away to the back shop. so i got a free hanger.

i know halfords staff arent the best trained in the business,but this sort of pig headed stupidity beggars belief.

on, and i was once charged for getting a wheel trued in dales when it clearly hadnt been touched and still had a spoke missing. they did apologise and fixed it for free, but to have a staff member claim 'thats the best we could do' when nothing at all had been done was a bit rich.

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 3:27 Quote
the thing i hate most is the lbs trying to sell you stuff you don't want.For exampple went in with the full intention to buy some new new totems cash in hand etc.The spotty little scrote behind the till was trying to convince me that a pair or pikes would be better for my norco shore duh!So after about 10 mins of arguing with him that he had no clue.I left the shop and bought some from the shop down the road..

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 6:55 Quote
I had a guy in Korea put my pedals on my brand new Race Face Deus cranks with an air gun! Needless to say they never came off until I grinded them off and destroyed the cranks a year later!

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 7:12 Quote
most bike shop's treat you as a complete noob.

the other bugbear is you give a part number over the phone,you go in to pick it up and it's the wrong part,then they expect you to take it home so they don't loose out.

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 7:16 Quote
i had the OWNER of a bike shop, the OWNER of a bike shop try to sell mt chain lube as shock/fork oil when i went in. wtf, thats just plain offensive

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 7:21 Quote
chazdog wrote:
i had the OWNER of a bike shop, the OWNER of a bike shop try to sell mt chain lube as shock/fork oil when i went in. wtf, thats just plain offensive

some refuse to understand the complexity of modern bike's.

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 10:59 Quote
This has happened to me several times. This actually happens to me over 50% of times I ask for something a shop doesn't have on the shelf: The dealer refuses to order the item from a distributor and sell it to me. WTF??? I really don't understand what the point of having a shop is, if you don't want to sell items. I guess it's just too much work to order items and all...

The most notable example is a 1800 dollar frame I ended up bying online because my local shop just wouldn't bother (They had some other frames from the same manufacturer in the store at the same time, so...)

Needless to say, there are many shops I don't even go to anymore.

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 15:41 Quote
Paying for a Banshee Chaparral frame in full which was never ordered, although
the owner blamed the manufacturer for the delay. And then randomly
closing his shop in Nanaimo..without contacting customers.

Finally after many voicemails I got "a frame" although this was
a year old and stripped off a build (sort of new I guess)

No refund for the difference Really Mad

I wonder why they closed lol

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 at 17:28 Quote
Is it rude to bump a thread you started?

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 at 17:59 Quote
some guy at a shop wanted to shave off part of my bike frames bb so we could put a chainguide in it.....because i have a 73mm bb and my cranks only go up to 73mm, and he said..." ill make it like a 68mm bb so u can run a chain guide, or just use a spacer to make it 73mm again. i quickly grabbed my bike and ran off before he f*cked it up......later i went to my fav bike shop and sat down and talked about options about what to do....and now i have 83mm Saint Cranks and the new Gamut dualie chain guide waiting to get put on my nomad once my 36t saint chain ring comes in.....God some bikeshopes dont even realize how much easier it could be......Facepalm

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 at 18:10 Quote
They treat me like an idiot like I don't know what im talking about because im 16 and I have a nice bike. one example is I go in there to get my front hub replaced since I suck at wheel building. I give them the new hub and say "it will fit. I have checked the number of spokes and the lengths" The guy then goes to procede counting all the spokes and checking there the right length as if I don't know what im on about...

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 1:28 Quote
NWray wrote:
c-v-tich wrote:
hey guys, i know it's not the topic but what about your most annoying lbs experience and why?

the closest shop to where i live now is the kind where they don't want you to ask any question, have a look at anything, and when you buy something they're like goodbye - can't wait for you to leave the shop. couple of my friends got accused of stealing valve caps after living nice amounts of cash for xt der. and stuff. i think the guy that owns it has some serious problems with alcohol, at the end we all started avoiding that lbs. Frown

fortunatelly, that's the only bad experience i've had with lbs, all the other shop i visit are great, i know all the people, we ride together whenever possible, i sometimes even help them - and in one shop the owner, friend of mine asks me how much discount i want when he writes the cheque

AGAIN THIS IS FOR MECHANICS/ SHOP EMPLOYEES NOT CUSTOMERS....

i guess i don't belong in the 'elitist' shop employee/mechanic group, so i'm posting it here Beer

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 1:49 Quote
i-ride-things wrote:
They treat me like an idiot like I don't know what im talking about because im 16 and I have a nice bike. one example is I go in there to get my front hub replaced since I suck at wheel building. I give them the new hub and say "it will fit. I have checked the number of spokes and the lengths" The guy then goes to procede counting all the spokes and checking there the right length as if I don't know what im on about...

i see your point, but look at the wheelbuilders point, such as the shop i work in, the wheelbuilder/mechanic is known as a great wheelbuider and used to build a lot of wheels for pro trials riders, and so his reputation depends on the quality of the wheels. And trust me in a LBS you get so many kids come in an tell you something completely wrong but themselves swear it is the truth, because of this you have to always check things yourself even if the customer is correct.

Its better to be safe than sorry Razz

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014057
Mobile Version of Website