Hydraulic or Cable?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Hydraulic or Cable?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 at 12:28 Quote
This basically a thread for people to post what sort of riding they do and also what type of breaks they use?

-Pro's

-Con's

Get your view posted

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 3:51 Quote
I ride dh and i have cable brakes

pros- cheep, dont need to be bled, got mine setup to work like hydros

cons- not as much power as hydros

on the hole if you get some avid speed dial leavers and set them up right they are nearly as good as hydros

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 4:51 Quote
downhilldan94 wrote:
I ride dh and i have cable brakes

pros- cheep, dont need to be bled, got mine setup to work like hydros

cons- not as much power as hydros

on the hole if you get some avid speed dial leavers and set them up right they are nearly as good as hydros
i have never EVER used a mechanical that feels like my Avid elixir's, so you must be using some pretty bad hydro discs. You should deffo spend the extra $ for a good set of hydros. And you dont need to bleed them like ever if you get a decent pair.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 4:52 Quote
I use hydraulics - Avid Juicy 3 SL on my P.2 and Avid Code 5 on my Demo 7 II.

The pro's are the great power and feel and single finger braking capability which also means less fatigue. Mechanical cable brakes are not an option for DH, and they're just really nice to have for DJ / Street.

The con's are that pads wear out faster, the brakes are more expensive, and they need to be bled every few months. But for the better braking performance, amazing feel, and light lever action you get for hydros, the maintenance and cost is negligable.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 4:54 Quote
downhilldan94 wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree. You cannot get mechs to feel as good as hydros - if you could, there would be no point in hydros. As mentioned you must have tried a pretty bad set of hydros, or you're just trying to convince yourself that the mechs you run are better than the hydros your friend runs or something.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 4:55 Quote
the truth is that hydro has better performance bottom line

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 6:19 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
downhilldan94 wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree. You cannot get mechs to feel as good as hydros - if you could, there would be no point in hydros. As mentioned you must have tried a pretty bad set of hydros, or you're just trying to convince yourself that the mechs you run are better than the hydros your friend runs or something.

its just my opinion because ive only ride my local dh track and its tight and small so youve got little speed so theres no point in me having hydros if i was riding at fort bill i would have hydros

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 7:39 Quote
I think theres an upside to having cable because if u tear ur hyraulic tube its a pain in the ass to fix plus it cost more to get a new tube where as cable doesnt Smile

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 8:01 Quote
hydros are more sesitive so i suggest getting hydros for rears and leave the fronts mechanicle

it all comes down to money and personal preferance

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
[Quote="davidmcadam"] hydros for rears and leave the fronts mechanicle

Eek are we still talking about dh

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 8:08 Quote
[Quote="downhilldan94"]
davidmcadam wrote:
hydros for rears and leave the fronts mechanicle

Eek are we still talking about dh
no i was just sayin my opinion

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 8:08 Quote
thats true i guess but also my mate has got cable n he's oiled the cable so its really sensitive (Y)Attention

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 8:19 Quote
davidmcadam wrote:
hydros are more sesitive so i suggest getting hydros for rears and leave the fronts mechanicle

It may be personal preference, but what in gods name would persuade you to put a hydro on the rear and a cable on the front!?!?!

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 8:24 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
davidmcadam wrote:

It may be personal preference, but what in gods name would persuade you to put a hydro on the rear and a cable on the front!?!?!
the fact that hydros are really sensitive

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 at 8:24 Quote
OK, so logical thinking would say put it on the front. What is more power going to do for you on the rear?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009102
Mobile Version of Website