What are the best shoes for riding on flat petals?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What are the best shoes for riding on flat petals?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:06 Quote
So i'v comenly seen people riding freeride on flats with skater style shoes. Now i know the pros have biking specific shoes but for just an averagee person, what would be the best style of shoe for the best grip on the pedal

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:10 Quote
Check out Five Ten, they have probably the most grip out of any flat shoe.
http://www.fiveten.com/

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:14 Quote
i use nike 6.0! they're really grippy on bmx/dirtjumping pedals, and i find them sipper grippy on dh/fr specific pedals. aren't to expensive my pair only costed 125 bucks...

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:18 Quote
shore21 wrote:
i use nike 6.0! they're really grippy on bmx/dirtjumping pedals, and i find them sipper grippy on dh/fr specific pedals. aren't to expensive my pair only costed 125 bucks...

Only a 125 bucks! Why not grab 3?

I use Nikes. All Nike skate shoes are virtually the same, you're just paying for colors and a label. Check out the bottom of the shoes before buying, if they look good, chances are they will be. Nikes are comfortable FOR ME. I own a few pairs, I've payed between 30 and 50 bucks a pair.

5.10's are the grippiest shoes out there, if you're looking for a pure biking shoe.

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:36 Quote
corsair711 wrote:
shore21 wrote:

I use Nikes. All Nike skate shoes are virtually the same, you're just paying for colors and a label. Check out the bottom of the shoes before buying, if they look good, chances are they will be. Nikes are comfortable FOR ME. I own a few pairs, I've payed between 30 and 50 bucks a pair.

5.10's are the grippiest shoes out there, if you're looking for a pure biking shoe.
i don't pay for my shoe's and i find 6.0's are more comfortable for me than says nikes skate shoe sb's

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:41 Quote
shore21 wrote:
corsair711 wrote:
shore21 wrote:

i don't pay for my shoe's and i find 6.0's are more comfortable for me than says nikes skate shoe sb's

Not trying to ruin your innocence, but 6.0's, SB's and the works... They're all the same. All that matters is the style. For example, you can get Dunk Lows in 6.0, SBs or just plain. All that changes is the color. You can get any style with any tag you want.

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
My favorite skate style shoes for riding are Van's with a soft rubber waffle bottom. Van's last a real long time and grip pretty well. Right now though I decided to try those Lake Schley shoes. I got them for 10$ off of chainlove and they have worked great so far.

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:48 Quote
corsair711 wrote:
shore21 wrote:
corsair711 wrote:

Not trying to ruin your innocence, but 6.0's, SB's and the works... They're all the same. All that matters is the style. For example, you can get Dunk Lows in 6.0, SBs or just plain. All that changes is the color. You can get any style with any tag you want.
you're probally right but sb's and 6.0's are very similar in price anyways, im not sure about the works....also about 6.0's feeling moe comfortable,i've only tried on one pair of sb's before(a year or two back and i just hated them, i instantly loved the 6.0's though. i think sb's and 6.0's perfomr the same.

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 at 19:49 Quote
Tyler2 wrote:
My favorite skate style shoes for riding are Van's with a soft rubber waffle bottom. Van's last a real long time and grip pretty well. Right now though I decided to try those Lake Schley shoes. I got them for 10$ off of chainlove and they have worked great so far.

I wanted to grab a pair of those Lakes, but they didn't have my size by the time I made up my mind.

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 4:21 Quote
I've never tried 5.10's, but the grip on Circa shoes is amazing. i've never had the problem of slipping a pedal while wearing them. On my 6.0's i always found them a bit too wide to fit comfortably on the pedal so your either always rubbing up against your crank or having your foot not totally on right.

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 5:11 Quote
I run 5-10s for rougher terrain like downhill and bike parks like Whistler, and all-mountain riding

and I wear BMX shoes (Orchids) for dirt jump, bike parks like Esher Shore (where the stunts are very close together) and pump track

the reason is the 5-10s are too sticky for DJ and Pump Track, where you want to be moving around on the bike

I went DJing in my 5-10s once and scared the sh*t out of myself, if you land with your foot wrong on the pedal, you have to physically lift your foot off and replace it, which you don't have time to do whilst riding a pack of jumps

with the bmx / skate shoes you can rotate your foot on the pedal no problem!

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 6:26 Quote
Got to love Nike 6.0's, but make sure you get the ones with the +/- design on the bottom (looks like squares inside of squares).
Solid, grippy, and as long as you get them in generic (grey, black, white) colours, you don't look like a Trendfag

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 6:33 Quote
aaah wrote:

Totally agree.

Don't look too great! But you can't beat their Stealth rubber sole.

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 6:36 Quote
terri-anne wrote:
aaah wrote:

Totally agree.

Don't look too great! But you can't beat their Stealth rubber sole.
I rode 5-10's for a while, but they were just too grippy for me. It felt like i was riding cleats in the air, couldnt move my foot around at all.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
Went to Mammoth with my Vans I used for biking, hated myself for being cheap, and ran down to the sports shop and picked up a pair of 5.10's. Best bike shoe ever. If you give them time you learn how to move your feet around on the bike with them. Plus if you half land on a pedal and panic, you can usually ride it out with them.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008812
Mobile Version of Website