Help Build My Bike

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Help Build My Bike
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 18:40 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Fox1010 wrote:
Personaly I wouldn't go with Marzocchi. I would get something like a Rockshock Domain or one of the Fox forks.
Meh....for the pricepoint its hard to beat Marzo
not a fan of the Domain, but 66 is a solid, maintenance free fork...
Fox costs a ton...

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was writing it. I have a pair of Domain's now and I quit like them. I have to agree with you on this to Fox forks are expensive and since you are not really hardcore yet I think the 66's would do you fine.

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 21:16 Quote
Fox1010 wrote:
nishnash wrote:
Fox1010 wrote:
Personaly I wouldn't go with Marzocchi. I would get something like a Rockshock Domain or one of the Fox forks.
Meh....for the pricepoint its hard to beat Marzo
not a fan of the Domain, but 66 is a solid, maintenance free fork...
Fox costs a ton...

I was thinking the exact same thing as I was writing it. I have a pair of Domain's now and I quit like them. I have to agree with you on this to Fox forks are expensive and since you are not really hardcore yet I think the 66's would do you fine.

I would love to put a fox 36 on the front of this thing, but I can't afford something like that, the Marzocchi is burly, yet cheap enough used. Maybe once I upgrade to a new frame I'll put a fox on it.

What do you think about the Sunline V2 bars? The V3 is their downhill specific, and the V1 description pretty much says "ride this bar too hard and you'll regret it" So with the V2's price I'm hoping it will hold up. Thoughts?

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
meh...stay safe, V3.

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 21:35 Quote
Yeah, now that I look at it, it's only a 10 dollar difference or so. Unless I can find something used or cheaper I'll probably go with the v1's

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 8:30 Quote
So I've got the opportunity to buy a slightly used Raceface evolve DH crankset cheaper than I've found the Ride DH's, is the Evolve model so much better than the Ride that I should buy it?

Also, I've heard some bad reviews of the code's and juicy's lately. Thinking of going with Hayes Strokers instead, I hate my Hayes 9's but they're from 2001. How do the new Strokers compare to the Code 5's?

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
whyted wrote:
So I've got the opportunity to buy a slightly used Raceface evolve DH crankset cheaper than I've found the Ride DH's, is the Evolve model so much better than the Ride that I should buy it?

Also, I've heard some bad reviews of the code's and juicy's lately. Thinking of going with Hayes Strokers instead, I hate my Hayes 9's but they're from 2001. How do the new Strokers compare to the Code 5's?
BAH lol no
Avid is a solid company, MUCH better than hayes for sure...The codes do provide lots of power, and do sometimes fade (so ive heard, but these guys are BIG guys) Juicy 7's are still the industry standard brake. They are light, cheap, and have enough power. They dont excel, but they are good brakes....

Hayes brakes aren't bad, just everything else is oh so much better....

And yeh, get the Evolve if you can.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 18:10 Quote
Know of any comparisons or reviews? I'd like to look at them side by side to see what differences are.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 18:31 Quote
Differences are pretty much everything, but everyone has their own opinions of the companies. I'm all Avid, personally. I love their products.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 18:42 Quote
I was talking more about the Ride DH's and the Evolve DH's

I'm turned off by Hayes after riding my 9's for the past year, but I've heard good things about the Strokers.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 18:47 Quote
Actually you know what?
The Rides seem to be replacing the evolves....go with the rides. haha

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 18:50 Quote
I would actually go with the Evolve cranks, but I'm not sure if I could explain why. The Ride model just seems much cheaper, even if they're newer.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 18:59 Quote
Ok, so I emailed raceface to see what they have to say, can't hurt to get the info from the horses mouth sometimes.

Back to bars though, while looking at the Avid site about their brakes I realized Truvative is another Sram brand (like Avid, and Rockshox) do you still not trust their stuff?

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 19:03 Quote
whyted wrote:
Ok, so I emailed raceface to see what they have to say, can't hurt to get the info from the horses mouth sometimes.

Back to bars though, while looking at the Avid site about their brakes I realized Truvative is another Sram brand (like Avid, and Rockshox) do you still not trust their stuff?

Meh I've known that for a long while....haha
But remember I did say I don't dislike Truvativ, its just not the best, there is ALOT better.....their low end stuff is great for the price, but their high end stuff is not worth it.

Posted: Dec 13, 2009 at 8:35 Quote
Little update, I found a D.O.P.E. brake therapy kit on ebay for $130.00, so that is on it's way. Got a seat collar from the lbs for cheap, and I'm getting the FSA DH Pro Pig headset for Christmas, along with a seat post, and lizard skin north shore lock on's from then girlfriend.

I need to make a decision on bars, stem, and cranks though. I'm getting an overage check from school and less than a month, so I'll have a little cash to spend.

Posted: Dec 13, 2009 at 8:39 Quote
Oh, and here is a quick question, what BB will work with 08 Saint cranks? Looking at a used set for a decent price, but it doesn't come with the BB. Best options?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015935
Mobile Version of Website