Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 18:29 Quote
The first new section will be an add on to the excellent new squid line .
It will have a dedicated new entrance.
Going into Squid via HolidaySauce nearly wiped HS off the map with the huge traffic ,just after the snow and rain left.

Want to help here
bgharder@shaw.ca

NoTimeOut redo ,dedicated line at the start and some other tuning will most likely have to wait till fall.
I am working crazy hours, trying to raise money for abby dj park and on top of all this.

June 30 Red Mtn XC Challenge
July 1st 16 Annual Bear Mtn Challenge DH sweetness, but a lot of work...
g

Posted: May 29, 2012 at 21:56 Quote
MrGee wrote:
The first new section will be an add on to the excellent new squid line .
It will have a dedicated new entrance.
Going into Squid via HolidaySauce nearly wiped HS off the map with the huge traffic ,just after the snow and rain left.

2 thumbs up Gary!

Every time I ride those trails I wonder why I don't ride them more often. That 20 minute drive is a killer though Wink

Posted: Jun 5, 2012 at 22:04 Quote
hey i live in vancouver but stay at my grandmas house in chilliwack and ride vedder. but i really wanna try riding ledgeview or sumas. would be helpfull if someone could give me some info or show me around up there, im 14.

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 at 14:09 Quote
I would start off riding Ledgeview.
Come any Sat/Sun morning on there is usually a fair number of riders ,hook up with someone there.
Am working a lot right now or I would help you out.
there is a ledgeview thread on pinkbike, post and ask there.
g

Posted: Jun 27, 2012 at 0:11 Quote
I went up to Sumas last weekend and rode Squidline. I came in on Holiday sauce. It was kinda soupy but once I got onto Squidline it was nice. It was a little wet but still a nice ride.I've never actually been riding on Sumas but the amount of work that is put into this trail was amazing. All the bridges looked new and were well built. Cheers to those who are putting their time into maintaining the trails.

Posted: Jun 29, 2012 at 9:08 Quote
Last night a small group went up and did work on Holiday sauce - from the entrance up to Squidline. All the added traffic has created some soup and bigger ruts. All ruts were levelled and a few bogs cleaned out. This won't remedy the section, but I hear that there is a new entrance to Squidline that will be going in in the near future.

Posted: Jul 11, 2012 at 7:57 Quote
Work continues on the new dedicated entrance for Squidline.
It is just above the HolidaySauce entrance,we are putting in a stairs entrance.
This is to discourage any motorcycle from entering.
This week seen another new bridge put in ,besides the last one.
The Kman and I have just one low spot to deal with and some tuning of the corners.
Within a month it should be all done.
Thanks for the maintenance work and love on HS and NoahFear.
With Bear Mtn race over , and me back to work, time is tight.
Gettng one ride in a week and one full day trailwork is all I can do right now.
This fall all should change, once I am laid off , a list of todo's and wants will be addressed.
Mr.G

Posted: Jul 14, 2012 at 18:12 Quote
SquidLine has now a open new dedicated entrance.
Just a 100 ft above the enterance of HolidaySauce.
Yes it will need some tuning but basically all done.
Better signage coming to help out lost or soon to be lost riders ,looking for the Squid.
g

Posted: Aug 1, 2012 at 18:27 Quote
oops double post, see one below.

Posted: Aug 1, 2012 at 18:30 Quote
just wondering: just got the gf a 2011 vixa! she knows how to ride a road bike but never been on a mountain. i was thinking of taking her to The a/m trails on sumas. so the question is, are they going to be too tough for her and i only have my 9speed fr/dh bike. should i throw my small ring back on my bike or for casual/learning riding will i be okay? i can climb most hills with my current set up but don't know if long climbs are involved if ill make it.
ps i only really know the dh type stuff in the lower mainland so if someone has ideas of other easier a/m type stuff let me know!

Posted: Aug 1, 2012 at 19:56 Quote
Take your girlfriend to Sumas and ride the new green level All-Mtn trail Squid Line it's great for beginner's and the faster you go the better the trail get's for yourself. There is a new lower parking lot at Sumas complete with a kiosk and map to point you in the right direction,

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 at 22:41 Quote
eightflateight wrote:
just wondering: just got the gf a 2011 vixa! she knows how to ride a road bike but never been on a mountain. i was thinking of taking her to The a/m trails on sumas. so the question is, are they going to be too tough for her and i only have my 9speed fr/dh bike. should i throw my small ring back on my bike or for casual/learning riding will i be okay? i can climb most hills with my current set up but don't know if long climbs are involved if ill make it.
ps i only really know the dh type stuff in the lower mainland so if someone has ideas of other easier a/m type stuff let me know!

The Sumas climb is a bit steeper than the Fromme climb, but the easiest climb in the valley

Posted: Aug 31, 2012 at 1:37 Quote
I pushed/rode to the top last weekend and rode Knob Gobbler to Squid or the first time. It was a fun ride. Next weekend I'll push up and ride Time Killer. I'm trying to find some trails for my 9 year old daughter to ride but I haven't had much luck yet. I'm still kinda new to the local trails but,I've heard Bear is good for beginners. She's ridden Little But with me at Ledge and did Ok.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032457
Mobile Version of Website