What makes downhill different from any other type of riding?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What makes downhill different from any other type of riding?
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 9:08 Quote
its about putting together the best possable run under the pressure of racing and the conditions on the day. its all about who can get from one point to another the fasters, basically good old competative nature kicks in, just like wanting to ride a section better thatn anyone else etc.there no judges who can be biased or have personal oppinions-its totally fair, everyone has the same track (near enough) and its all about whos best on the day.

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 9:37 Quote
You don't need to go uphill.

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
by your description its the same as any other type of riding, barring bmx competition riding.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 8:44 Quote
watch tipping point or uprising one of the two have a great desctiption but i cant remember which one.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 8:48 Quote
i think between the tape and f1rst both have really good descriptions at the beginning

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
what makes it different is the fact that there are so many different things going on all at the same time. You have the speed, obstacles in the trail, the weather, they all are factors into how you ride your bike on any given trail. other than xc riding, most other riding tries to keep variables to a minumum. just my thoughtsBig Grin

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 at 18:37 Quote
other riding- being in stupid good shape is more important than having stupid good bike handling skills. While knowing how to ride is still important, you can do quite well if you have super human endurance and little technical skill.

DH- Really good bike handling skills are far more important than having super human endurance. For the most part DH requires you to be physically stronger than XC or whatever else, you have to be able to deliver your power explosively for 5 minutes or there abouts not spread out over an hour-4 hours or longer. You also have to know how to ride a damn bike or you won't get anywhere no matter what kind of an athlete you are.

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 at 20:43 Quote
For DH you really need to trust your bike more than your skills, also you need to be able to focus and just keep that focus for the whole run.

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 at 21:22 Quote
pedaling strength is not so important, technical skills are. pump and flow.

Posted: Dec 1, 2009 at 23:28 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
other riding- being in stupid good shape is more important than having stupid good bike handling skills. While knowing how to ride is still important, you can do quite well if you have super human endurance and little technical skill.

DH- Really good bike handling skills are far more important than having super human endurance. For the most part DH requires you to be physically stronger than XC or whatever else, you have to be able to deliver your power explosively for 5 minutes or there abouts not spread out over an hour-4 hours or longer. You also have to know how to ride a damn bike or you won't get anywhere no matter what kind of an athlete you are.
true story.

FL
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 at 2:08 Quote
I agree with every one who said variables. There isn't a sport i can think of, off of the top of my head, that changes each and every time you participate. Between each ride the weather can change, increasing or decreasing traction, the track can change shape, your mental game can change making you ride in a different way, the bike can sunddenly feel different. All of this happens whilst you are racing against a completley un-biased clock. Thats what makes the sport great, the fact that there are so many things battleing to slow you down yet we still continue to ride.

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 at 4:31 Quote
natural terrain, rough, un pamperd, fast, deep ruts, good to spectate, tests your explosive endurance, and above all wether you can deliver to the nessesary requirements...

....this also applies to DH riding.Pimp

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.127276
Mobile Version of Website