Night Riding Thread - It's dark, lets ride!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Night Riding Thread - It's dark, lets ride!
  • Previous Page
Mod
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 16:42 Quote
Wether we like it or not winter is forcing itself upon us, meaning that for a lot of riders still wanting to get some saddle time in it's either at night or only on the weekends. Here in Chilliwack there is a small but dedicated group of both shuttle and XC riders that gather at night to ride. The XC crew has been meeting on the same day and time for about a decade, rain or shine, and are always up for an adventure. The DH guys are getting out on thursdays for a few shuttles, followed by a few beers while warming up in lawn chairs around Gerald's propane fire... Good times! This gives me an excuse to get out at least 2-3 times during the week which is keeping me sane during the days as it gets dark at about 4 pm.

photo
Our last shuttle on Sumas

I just picked up a Niterider Pro 1200 LED light that I am super pumped about. It sure isn't 1200 lumens like its claimed, but it must be pushing 900-1000! I used to rock an old Niterider Storm HID that I thought was rad, but this is just as bright but with a more natural hue to the light, very cool. Drawbacks? Big battery and heavy light head. I run it on my XC helmet and I can really feel the weight of the light up there. Also, if you wanted to run it on a fullface you'd most likely need NR's moto jaw piece mount. The crew here in Chilliwack has varying tastes: There are some riders still shredding with older halogen lights (beer can BLT's!), a few riders have some newer LED's like my NR and Dinotte, and I even know this one clown who uses two HID lights mounted to his helmet... although it only seems that one is ever working!

photo
My Niterider Pro 1200

I'd be interested to read about any of your night time adventures. Do you guys have a dedicated group of night riders, do you head out solo into the night, shuttles or XC? Lets see some pictures of your light setups!

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 17:33 Quote
I hope to do some night riding this year. I have a small flashlight that I bought off a site called deal extremes. I got the idea from the mtbr forums. Anyways, it is supposed to be pushing 900 lumens. Not sure if it does that, but it blows a normal mag, mini flashlight away.

This is the light I got. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12623

If you look under bike lights they now supply a bike light that I hear works amazing for the price.

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 17:37 Quote
I've got a Dinotte 400 on my helmet, and an 800 on the bars. Haven't ridden much lately because of all the rain though. I usually head out with one or two others, riding solo at night is way too spooky for me!

Mod
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 17:44 Quote
valleyrider wrote:
I've got a Dinotte 400 on my helmet, and an 800 on the bars. Haven't ridden much lately because of all the rain though. I usually head out with one or two others, riding solo at night is way too spooky for me!

400 and 800! So you're that spotlight on Ledgeview thats been keeping me awake at night in Chilliwack....

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 17:49 Quote
kakah wrote:
valleyrider wrote:

400 and 800! So you're that spotlight on Ledgeview thats been keeping me awake at night in Chilliwack....

I'm thinking about getting another 400 and rocking dual 400's on the helmet and 800 on the bar. I can't see very good at night, so I need a lot of light Big Grin

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 19:32 Quote
i agree with you that it gets dark to earlie i usualy go out for a little ride after school but the last time i did i ended up getting half way down the trail and had to go slow becouse it was so dark and i had no light

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 10:20 Quote
HewDawg - A few years ago I had this happen but unfortunately it was my own fault for not charging batteries after the earlier rides - oops.

I've been on 4-5 night rides this year and I have been borrowing lights - dual chin mount NiteRider Moto set up, but like Kakah said, I'm having issues with them staying on and have to go to a single light quite often. Maybe I should be looking at new lights.

Mod
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 12:19 Quote
brule wrote:
HewDawg - A few years ago I had this happen but unfortunately it was my own fault for not charging batteries after the earlier rides - oops.

I've been on 4-5 night rides this year and I have been borrowing lights - dual chin mount NiteRider Moto set up, but like Kakah said, I'm having issues with them staying on and have to go to a single light quite often. Maybe I should be looking at new lights.

Having to get by with only a single HID light must be toughBig Grin

One should try one of those Magicshine lights, or maybe a self build 1500 LuminiousDIY kit?

Anyone out there with either of those two systems?

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 16:31 Quote
Magicshines rock. I have two,one helmet and one on the bar. Check out www,mtbr.com
These things are changing how lights will be rated and sold. Prices are artificially high and need to come down on the brand name lights.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 17:18 Quote
what would you guys suggest on a cheeper helmet mount light? i have nothing right now so i need atleast a cheep one

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
valleyrider wrote:

I just picked up that set myself but haven't used it on the trail yet. Rode with the 400 helmet light to work and wow, what a difference compared to my old halogen 110lumen light. can't wait to see what the 800 and 400 look like together.

Normally, ride with a couple of friends out in K country and will now have to wait for the snow to pack down or ice up so it will at least be rideable.

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
kakah wrote:
brule wrote:

Having to get by with only a single HID light must be toughBig Grin

One should try one of those Magicshine lights, or maybe a self build 1500 LuminiousDIY kit?

Anyone out there with either of those two systems?

i would love to but 2 of them kits and put one on my friends bike i think thats all you need

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 21:04 Quote
I'm thinking of getting Light and Motion Stella 120's for bar and helmet. Should be a dece setup. And I ride with two other riders who have blackburn x8's with upgrades and are pumping about 500 to 600 lumens.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2009 at 22:02 Quote
Ive recently rly considered riding at night and i was looking for some advice on some lights that arent too expensive. the only ones i no a little about are the nukeproof and they look pretty awesome but they are in the $200 price range...i was looking more for a mid $100 range. also i would like to no what a good range for amount of power the lights put out. like is it necessary to have a 1000 lumen power light or will 500 do fine. thanks in advance for any help

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016274
Mobile Version of Website