Night Riding Thread - It's dark, lets ride!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Night Riding Thread - It's dark, lets ride!
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 1:35 Quote
Old buzzard finds his night mojo

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://digitalhippie.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/nocturnal_ibis_mojo-960x640.jpg

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 1:38 Quote
digitalhippie wrote:
Old buzzard finds his night mojo

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://digitalhippie.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/nocturnal_ibis_mojo-960x640.jpg
Haha that's sick dude! Props Beer
Sweet photo

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 6:01 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
As stated in the second article the Problem lies primarily with the old style battery packs which are shrink wrapped and supplied in a basic nylon sleeve. Magicshine stopped selling lights with those batteries a while ago (well before I started dealing with them). All the lights that I am selling now include the latest batteries which are encased in an aluminium and plastic casing, and were not affected by the geomangear recall.

I am not claiming to any extent that MS have never had issues, but having spoken with magishine, I deem the new magicshine batteries, which have been certified by independant CE and UL labs (I have seen the certificates for these certifications), as safe as li-on batteries can be. Indeed there should be care taken not to overcharge them etc. as with ANY li-on battery.
I have not stopped using my lights, and have had no problems whatsoever with any that I've sold. I'm confident in the new batteries and remain to be impressed by the power and performance of the lights

That is certainly good to hear and thanks for the clarity. So I take it that MS honoured a recall also? I was under the impression that this was slow or non-existent in taking place. I have a new respect for the company now.

A.

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 6:17 Quote
I have the batteries in sealed container. they are included in the recall as they fall in the purchase date of the recall. I've still heard nothing, and have not been contacted. I've had 4 separate issues with 4 lightsets, but they were resolved very quickly. I'm more than happy with the performance of the MS light sets, as are most of the people in my night riding groups who have used my second set in emergency when their $$ lights have died half way through a ride.

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 9:12 Quote
magic shine uses c stock emittters which vary in color, a battery design that was having issues and reliability (solder connections bad etc) that enough people stated that they take 2 lights on a ride for safety. Which is a good idea but for practical reasons and not distrust of the product.
I beleive it was GM that got the ball rolling because (MS) wasnt stepping to plate. they got popped by the consumer safety or some other organization stepped up to assist as well as MS is making lights under different names and its all about selling alot for a little to turn a profit and unfortunently quality isnt atop the lis or integrityt.

If im wrong then countless threads on mtbr can straighten it out and verify.

To put quality in the same sentence with magicshine is pretty funny in itself, its a good light for the buck and will get guys out riding for sure but take an extra light with you...

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 13:14 Quote
bullcrew wrote:
magic shine uses c stock emittters which vary in color, a battery design that was having issues and reliability (solder connections bad etc) that enough people stated that they take 2 lights on a ride for safety. Which is a good idea but for practical reasons and not distrust of the product.
I beleive it was GM that got the ball rolling because (MS) wasnt stepping to plate. they got popped by the consumer safety or some other organization stepped up to assist as well as MS is making lights under different names and its all about selling alot for a little to turn a profit and unfortunently quality isnt atop the lis or integrityt.

If im wrong then countless threads on mtbr can straighten it out and verify.

To put quality in the same sentence with magicshine is pretty funny in itself, its a good light for the buck and will get guys out riding for sure but take an extra light with you...
Yes the LED emitters vary slightly and i mean slightly. I spent a few hours checking all of my stock (50+ light sets) and the variance in colour is very minimal, (however there is very little difference in brightness!). Basically if you're bothered that your bike light may give off a slightly warmer light than your buddy's, feel free to spend 4 times the price on another product.

As for the reliability of their products i have been dealing with them for a while, and have sold a fair few. I ride with magicshines myself, and can genuinely say I don't understand why anyone would pay half of the value of their bike for a set of lights when you can get something so good for a fraction of the price! I have never experienced any problems with them, nor had any reports from customers to this extent, including using them in harsh, wet and muddy conditions. The only feedback i've had from customers is very positive "Brilliant lights, brilliant service", "amazing light", "great light at great price", "AWSOME" to quote just a few. Even in handling large quantities of these lights (and checking them all), i have found very few problems. I have yet to find a light that doesn't work.

As for the batteries, the new design (plastic casing with an LCD battery level indicator screen) may have been included in GM's recall as far as when they were purchased, however in their own statements they say that the recall is due to dissatisfaction with the old style (shrink wrapped) batteries - and in the thousands that they've sold they've had three cases where these batteries actually caused problems. Something which as i've already stated is not unheard of with any lithium-ion battery. They say that in theory, the rubber cased batteries could also cause a problem, however they have not had any cases where this has been the case.

As stated, the new style batteries meet both CE and LU standards and I have no doubts about their safety whatsoever.

Happy night riding Salute

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 at 3:22 Quote
Just found this: http://geminicanada.pinkbike.com/blog/competition.html

It's a competition for a Gemini Light giveaway.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.043252
Mobile Version of Website