Changing Rear Shock To Larger Rear Shock

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Changing Rear Shock To Larger Rear Shock
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 22:59 Quote
say you had a back shock, but it was to small for you, if u took that one off and put a bigger one on, would it majorly affect the bike ?

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:00 Quote
Small in what measurment? What bike? What shocks?

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:01 Quote
^^ at least it wasnt just me who thought it made little sense....

are you talking about the spring being too light?

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:02 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
Small in what measurment? What bike? What shocks?

well i dont know that measurment, but its an 03 norco vps drop, complete stock with a fox vanilla r, id guess it would be maybe a 6 ?

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:03 Quote
frames are designed to use only one size shock, unless its a frame like a ellsworth rouge with different mounting position that require different size shocks to achieve different amounts of travel.

how is the first shock "to small"? You need to keep the same size shock on your bike, a bigger one will not work.

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:04 Quote
that still made no sense. if its stock, then the shock is correct for the frame.

Having the correct shock stroke and length is matters to the frame, not you.

The SPRING could be too light/heavy for your weight.

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:04 Quote
mtnbikermaniac wrote:
frames are designed to use only one size shock, unless its a frame like a ellsworth rouge with different mounting position that require different size shocks to achieve different amounts of travel.

how is the first shock "to small"? You need to keep the same size shock on your bike, a bigger one will not work.

the first one is to small because im taking like 10 ft drops and it bottoms out almost every time,

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:05 Quote
too light of a spring. or the shock needs rebuilt, as the rebound circuit may be worn out.

as long as the shock is the factory one, it isnt too small.

there should be a number on the spring like 450x3.5

you need one with the first number being higher than the one thats on there

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:07 Quote
K im gonna try to make everything a little clearer, i have an 03 norco vps drop, completly stock, the rear shock is perfectly fine, had it checked, but every time (almost) i take 8 foot drop and over it will bottom out, so i wanna know if i larger shock (stronger and longer) will affect how my bike rides now

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:08 Quote
Yep. All you need is a new spring.

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:08 Quote
dont put a longer shock on it!!!

put on a heavier spring

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:09 Quote
if you do put a different shock on it, you NEED to use the same size shock, but the spring rate is your problem.

how much do you weigh

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:10 Quote
would it be the same if i switched my rear shock with a same size fox vanilla r (2007/200Cool just a stronger spring, and one of those oil cartridges on the outside?

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:11 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
if you do put a different shock on it, you NEED to use the same size shock, but the spring rate is your problem.

how much do you weigh

ehh 120 125

Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:11 Quote
ONLY if the piggyback reservoir doesnt hit when the suspension is compressed.

Newer shocks would be fine, but you have to use the same stroke and eye-to-eye length.

and yes, you can change the spring on that too to make it right for your weight.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008485
Mobile Version of Website