South Africa

| Next Page
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 at 4:01 Quote
mobweb wrote:
I will be traveling around Cape Town during the next month.

How is the MTB situation around there? I'd love to rent a bike and perhaps also a guide to see some local trails for a few days. I usually ride DH/AM type stuff here in Switzerland but I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it's fun. Any recommendations for companies/rental places? Self-exploration probably isn't an option as we won't rent a car during our stay in CT itself.

Thanks!

Oh and also: We will be doing the Garden Route as well, and I was wondering if it's possible to do some parts with a rented road bike? I'm an avid roadie during the winter and I'd love to do some of the coastline by road bike!

Try http://irideafrica.com/bike-hire/

They do tours and bike rentals. There are no ski lifts here and most of the riding is manageable on an AM type bike. So a Trance should be fine. The riding is pretty good and most mountainbikers are pretty friendly.

The best riding in Cape Town is out Stellenbosch way. Jonkershoek is pretty sweet. Compared to Europe the signage is pretty bad tho but there are trail maps on the I Ride site.

Posted: Mar 28, 2014 at 9:53 Quote
Hello fellow riders from RSA, hope to get some help with my question:

me and a friend want to do a bike ride (with touring bikes, bringing our own tent and stuff with us) from Bloemfontein to Durban (through or around Drakensberg) in September. Does anyone know of any shops or other options where we can rent touring cycles (NOT mountain bikes) in Bloemfontein? Or would it be better to bring our own bikes by airplane?

I know this question is not related to freeriding or slope style, but as there is no special forum for such africa, I figured I'd try it here anyway. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Posted: Mar 30, 2014 at 9:51 Quote
There is a SA forum: thehub.co.za
Bloem is a pretty shit place, I'd bet on taking your own.

Posted: Apr 6, 2014 at 14:31 Quote
sup3rc0w wrote:
There is a SA forum: thehub.co.za
Bloem is a pretty shit place, I'd bet on taking your own.

ok cool thanks for the hint. We got told that bringing bikes could be a problem on domestic flights. Do you know anything about this? (we need to catch a domestic from jo'burg to bloem...)

Posted: Aug 4, 2014 at 13:37 Quote
Not sure bud, probably best to contact whomever your local flight operator is diretly. For the most part I can only assume it will be fine if it's BA or SAA. Maybe the only issues will be with the low cost airlines like Mango or suchlike.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 8:41 Quote
Hey guys! I'll be spending the (South African) summer in Cape Town.

Do you guys have any advise where to buy second hand bikes in Cape Town?
I checked Gumtree.co.za, but I was hoping there are some other websites aswell, since Gumtree didn't have much choice.

I'm hoping to buy a cheap old school bike (probably xc, maybe road or fixed gear), that I can use for commuting and to ride some trails with.

Also are there any places in the hills that are fun and safe to ride alone? Like for example climbing and descending the roads of Signal Hill?
I heard going into the mountains alone is dangerous, that's why I was wondering if it's the same if I would ride up Signal Hill?

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 9:12 Quote
It's best to go check out thehub.co.za and register on their forums.

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 9:13 Quote
For what its worth, buy a bike in Europe and take it with you. Bikes are even more expensive comparatively, and there's less of a "throwaway" culture there...so bikes have higher second hand value there

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:28 Quote
Thank you for your advise!

The reason I'm asking is because it would cost me €300,- total to bring my bike with me.
Since I would bring my old '91 Cinder Cone, which is worth less than the shipping.

I saw a decent old school Kona Blast on Gumtree for only 2500 ZAR (€175). This is less then the shipping, and I could try selling it at the end of my trip to get my money back.

The only thing is I'm afraid this bike will be gone before I go there.

I checked thehub.co.za, but the link is not working over here Frown

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:47 Quote
Sorry, try thi

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/

Posted: Oct 16, 2014 at 14:52 Quote
sup3rc0w wrote:
Sorry, try thi

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/forum/

Awesome, thank you very much Beer

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 0:09 Quote
Mattin wrote:

I checked Gumtree.co.za, but I was hoping there are some other websites aswell, since Gumtree didn't have much choice.

I'm hoping to buy a cheap old school bike (probably xc, maybe road or fixed gear), that I can use for commuting and to ride some trails with.

Also are there any places in the hills that are fun and safe to ride alone? Like for example climbing and descending the roads of Signal Hill?
I heard going into the mountains alone is dangerous, that's why I was wondering if it's the same if I would ride up Signal Hill?

Hey man.

Summer is a GREAT time to be in Cape Town. It's truly a beautiful city with beautiful women EVERYWHERE. You're going to be shocked.

There are trails on Table Mountain and signal hill but the good ones are illegal and not sign posted. There have been a few muggings but it's not like there's a machete wielding madman behind every bush. It's best not to ride alone anyway.

For the best riding in the area you'll head out to Stellenbosch. It's about 50km away from town to Jonkershoek. Some great forest singletrack. It costs 2 Euro to ride there. trails are plentiful and well maintained. You wan't get bored in Jonkershoek. There's also a fun trail called the G Spot (Check out the facebook page)

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 9:25 Quote
your-name-here wrote:
Mattin wrote:

Hey man.

Summer is a GREAT time to be in Cape Town. It's truly a beautiful city with beautiful women EVERYWHERE. You're going to be shocked.

There are trails on Table Mountain and signal hill but the good ones are illegal and not sign posted. There have been a few muggings but it's not like there's a machete wielding madman behind every bush. It's best not to ride alone anyway.

For the best riding in the area you'll head out to Stellenbosch. It's about 50km away from town to Jonkershoek. Some great forest singletrack. It costs 2 Euro to ride there. trails are plentiful and well maintained. You wan't get bored in Jonkershoek. There's also a fun trail called the G Spot (Check out the facebook page)

Thanks for all the info Big Grin

I will go to these trails for sure during my stay Smile

What is your opinion on using a bicycle for commuting in the city? After riding in cities like London and New York I'm not afraid of the traffic, but it's mainly the fact that I would be riding alone. I will be staying in Tamboerskloof, and only want to commute during daytime and not in sketchy neighbourhoods. Or is it still recommended not to do this?

I will not go to any mountains or hills then alone Smile

Really can't wait to go there!

Posted: Oct 20, 2014 at 0:47 Quote
Mattin wrote:
your-name-here wrote:
Mattin wrote:

Hey man.

Thanks for all the info Big Grin

I will go to these trails for sure during my stay Smile

What is your opinion on using a bicycle for commuting in the city? After riding in cities like London and New York I'm not afraid of the traffic, but it's mainly the fact that I would be riding alone. I will be staying in Tamboerskloof, and only want to commute during daytime and not in sketchy neighbourhoods. Or is it still recommended not to do this?

I will not go to any mountains or hills then alone Smile

Really can't wait to go there!

I'd say Cape Town is the most "European" city in South Africa. The city has a great energy to it and a very South of France/Southern Cali feel to it. Especially the Town, Greenpoint, Seapoint areas. Close to where you're gonna be staying. There are loads of people that commute on bikes. You do need to be careful of the traffic as drivers aren't as respectful of cyclist as they are in Europe. There are dedicated cycle lanes on some roads in the city. I Commute in to work on my bike when I can though I'm lucky as here's a dedicated cycle path from where I live right into the city.

You're gonna have to be strong cos Tamboerskloof is on the slopes of Table Mountain and the roads are steep up there. If you're looking for a fixi/single speed/cheap bike there's a bike shop called Woodstock Cycle Works. My friend Nils owns it and he resurects a bunch of old/interesting bikes.

The whole crime thing in SA is very overblown. Don't let that scare you. Just be logical and aware and you'll be fine.

There's a cool event that happens every full moon called moonlight mass. Google It. It's a social ride through greenpoint and town on a full moon. Super fun event (Not a race at all) with as many as 4000 people taking part. Roadies, MTBer's, BMX guys, Skaetboarders and last time there was even two HOT rollerskate girls.

Posted: Dec 17, 2014 at 10:50 Quote
Hi.

Where's the best place to hire bikes in Stellenbosch? Gonna be visiting my brother for Christmas and would love to do some DH/Trail riding whilst over there.

Thanks in advance.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010567
Mobile Version of Website