Canon 7D Opinions? Better Options?

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
Canon 7D Opinions? Better Options?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2009 at 8:32 Quote
Hey folks, so I had a dilemma a while back....still do. I want to be able to shoot HD 24p videos.... true 24! not that canon 24F or w/e it was on their prosumer camcorders....

But also....I wanted a good DSLR camera... a decently good one. Not necessarily a Canon mark III... but somewhere around the price range of the Mark II 5D.

However I ran into a little problem called money. I can't exactly purchase a JVC GY-HM700u and then on top of it a good DSLR. Yet, I don't want to limit myself to just a DSLR or Just a camcorder.

SO I researched and found that there is a little device called the Canon 7D.

I need your help photo guys and girls. I was wondering: is there a better option somewhere in the 7D price range? (give or take a few hundred, I can hunt down deals no problem).

I mean, is there another brand of DSLR like Nikon that can do the job better? I heard the 7D had problems with the sensor not being able to handle 18mp, since they're just crammed in there.

Someone help me out, there is too much info out there and I am hoping someone can help me!

Thank you!

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 18:46 Quote
well the Canon 60D is suppose to come out really soon so you might want to wait on that. But the 7D is a great camera. tup

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 19:09 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
well the Canon 60D is suppose to come out really soon so you might want to wait on that. But the 7D is a great camera. tup

Cool thanks for that. I think I may still go with the 7D... but I will see!

Any idea on 60D price range?

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 19:10 Quote
doubledeuce wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

Canon Rebel T2i is a great set up for the price. Offers the same image sensor as the 7D!

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 19:14 Quote
dishboy14 wrote:
doubledeuce wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

Canon Rebel T2i is a great set up for the price. Offers the same image sensor as the 7D!

Sure the are the same sensor, but you shoot the 7D and T2i next to each other I would put money down on the 7D having better low light/high iso performance. The camera's software and hardware (like single Digic 4 vs Dual) does make a difference

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 19:19 Quote
I am also looking for that 24fps HD video, and all those other video capabilities.... Not sure if the T2i has that?

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 19:20 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
dishboy14 wrote:
doubledeuce wrote:

not sure bout that one, it is the same size, but you shoot the 7D and T2i next to each other I would put money down on the 7D having better low light/high iso performance

The jpg on the 7D will be better for sure; however, I am betting the RAW files will be very similar on the t2i to the 7D! Here is the source for the Sensor being the same:

18.7 megapixel CMOS sensor
The 550D uses a new, 18.7 (total) megapixel sensor that's similar, but not exactly the same as (according to our sources at Canon) the one featured in the 7D. As before the sensor uses high frequency vibrations to remove dust.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS550D/page3.asp

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 19:20 Quote
doubledeuce wrote:
I am also looking for that 24fps HD video, and all those other video capabilities.... Not sure if the T2i has that?

It sure does in 1080P to boot!

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 19:32 Quote
:S Now you've got me all confused! Look what you've done! You've gone and killed the last brain cells in my mind! haha

What's the price range on that T2i? 7D body is 1800$ new in Canada....

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 19:41 Quote
doubledeuce wrote:
:S Now you've got me all confused! Look what you've done! You've gone and killed the last brain cells in my mind! haha

What's the price range on that T2i? 7D body is 1800$ new in Canada....

Around $1000 for the Canon t2i with the 18-55mm lens! Thats in Canadian funds, if you want more info check it out here,

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/CanonEOS550D/

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 20:49 Quote
not going to sugar coat this at all

you buy a camera based on face value specs you are a idiot.

there is much more when you are getting a 7d (hardware, interface, build quality, extras)

Posted: Feb 8, 2010 at 21:25 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
not going to sugar coat this at all

you buy a camera based on face value specs you are a idiot.

there is much more when you are getting a 7d (hardware, interface, build quality, extras)

Yes of course that is true; 7D is a very nice camera and a big step up from the Canon t2i, however, for the savings on the body he could get a nice lens and a flash. It all depends on what he is using it for, if its video i would go t2i; if its for stills then of course go the 7D. 7D has better view finder, body, weather sealed, better auto focus, better grip, faster speeds... ECT.. All depends, I personally think a really nice lens and the t2i to learn on would be better then the 7D and a kit lens.

Posted: Feb 9, 2010 at 11:32 Quote
I am actually buying in the US! I get the body + 2 lenses (canon lenses) + 8gb card + a slew of other stuff, for the price of the body here alone Smile

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 12:49 Quote
I hope you have a Mac, or you are going to be spending a buttload of time trying to find a solution to the nightmare file format the 7D shoots video with. I've personally (along with alot of other people) found it impossible to edit with the 7D's raw h.264 codec on a PC. Alot of googling and testing conversion programs, I still havn't figured it out yet.

Both the video and pictures look amazing though, it's just an annoying situation for editing right now.

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 13:37 Quote
liamm wrote:
I hope you have a Mac, or you are going to be spending a buttload of time trying to find a solution to the nightmare file format the 7D shoots video with. I've personally (along with alot of other people) found it impossible to edit with the 7D's raw h.264 codec on a PC. Alot of googling and testing conversion programs, I still havn't figured it out yet.

Both the video and pictures look amazing though, it's just an annoying situation for editing right now.

Oh for sure. I am also buying, to go with it, the iMac 27" with the upgraded graphics and prcoessor (i5 I think?)... good for photos, video and the odd music production I want to do!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009931
Mobile Version of Website