New xc racing bike 29 or 26 wheel?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New xc racing bike 29 or 26 wheel?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 12, 2009 at 11:33 Quote
Ive been looking at a new bike for xc racing one that ive had on my mind is stumpjumper expert carbon 29. What are the benefits for the 29 and what are the flaws? Any other suggestions on a new bike for xc?

Posted: Dec 13, 2009 at 11:03 Quote
I'd like to hear some info on this, too.

Posted: Dec 13, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
a 29er is supposed to be a little faster, and able to role over roots and other obstacles better. Although you give up a little handling. They seem to be catching on with the xc sceen, but buying a 29er is like buying MC Hammer pants.

Posted: Dec 13, 2009 at 19:18 Quote
IDK. It's a tad bit heavier but larger wheel = larger contact patch so better traction. Although singletrack and technical I would think would require more effort to turn the handlebars.

Some of the top national competitors are going 29er and winning so there must be something good about it. Or maybe they're just supporting their sponsors and killing themselves with the 29ers. Who knows???

S

Posted: Dec 13, 2009 at 23:30 Quote
Just to throw another option into the mix…how about something inbetween: the 650B wheel :-)

I found some of the 29ers that I've ridden - Zaskar, Peace, Chumba, etc - to be suprisingly agile in the twisty stuff. They are stable on the downhills, especially the rutted and rough stuff. The weight isn't a big issue. Think it's horses for courses though. Wouldn't mind having one in my quiver, but wouldn't give up on my 26ers.

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 at 6:33 Quote
The larger wheels are slower to get mooving...a short, 'UP and DOWN' coarse will probably be better on a 26er..i would stick with what is known. P{lus you can easily get tyres and tubes for them(a hell of a lot more choice of tyres on a 26er).

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
29er has a bigger wheel. but it has the same gear system with 26 ones. so i think it will be a little bit more difficult from 29er to climber up to the mtn. and 29er should have its own gear system.

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 at 9:16 Quote
yeah i agree with woo, 26 is going to be better in more situations than 29 and if you bust a tyre or tube just before raceday then a decent 26 tyre is going to be much easier to get hold of comapred to a 29er one

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 at 18:34 Quote
Some 29er's do have an upgraded drivetrain. It's the SRAM XX or Shimano XTR 10 spd setup. 11-36T cassette and 44/32/22 chainrings.

I guess the extra 2 teeth at the back would make the ride up a bit faster.

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 at 21:17 Quote
Try 29" bike before you buy one. I like the feel of a 29" inch bike but some of my friends will try the same bike and say it rides horribly. Most of the trails around me are tighter and constant up and down. It seemed to take alot more effort to keep the 29" bike going then it would a 26" bike. But on things like straight aways and downhills the 29" bike would rocket. Personally i would say it really depends on what your planning to ride, for me i wouldn't go for a 29er because I don't feel like the larger wheels give an advantage over 26" for the trails I ride. But if i was riding more open flatter terrained trails i would definately consider getting one.

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 at 6:56 Quote
ya i live in socal so most of the trails that i ride are open. i actually have rented a 29er to try. most of the people that i know that ride a 29er say they wont go back to a 26. thanks for the edvice

Posted: Dec 21, 2009 at 17:32 Quote
blkmarketsean wrote:
ya i live in socal so most of the trails that i ride are open. i actually have rented a 29er to try. most of the people that i know that ride a 29er say they wont go back to a 26. thanks for the edvice

That's cos most 29er riders are like singlespeeders. They become converted at the expense of everything else! Hahaha!* As far as the climbing goes, I've found them to be pretty nippy up short sharp climbs. The bigger contact patch comes in handy on loose and technical uphills.

*As an aside, a dude I know is importing a 5" dual-sus SS 29er. Looks like a helluva lot of fun!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012116
Mobile Version of Website