Core stability, should i focus on strength as well?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Core stability, should i focus on strength as well?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 13, 2009 at 18:20 Quote
Hey,
I am working out, and noticed that for core there are 2 different kinds of core exercises, one type for core stability, such as the plank, and one for core strength, where your core is moving, such as a situp. I have heard that things such as situps are bad for you as you are training your core to move, and you want it to be stable. Is this true? should I take any excercse that focuses on weighting my core and moving it, out of my training?

Posted: Dec 20, 2009 at 12:10 Quote
steezymcgee wrote:
Hey,
I am working out, and noticed that for core there are 2 different kinds of core exercises, one type for core stability, such as the plank, and one for core strength, where your core is moving, such as a situp. I have heard that things such as situps are bad for you as you are training your core to move, and you want it to be stable. Is this true? should I take any excercse that focuses on weighting my core and moving it, out of my training?

I would advise that you focus on the stability stuff. Crunches and other exercises that teach your body to create movement at the midsection will have you developing bad movement habits. When you ride you don't want to create movement at the midsection, you want a stable midsection and power coming from the hips so the stability stuff is more bike specific as well.

Posted: Dec 20, 2009 at 16:39 Quote
thanks, thats what I thought.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 4:02 Quote
aye sounds about right, doing more static exercises will benefit your core strength and teach your core to remain stable, exercises with medicine balls tend to focus quite well on those types of exercises. sayin tht i should probably stop doing crunch's and shit ( bad for your back in th long run anyway):L

Posted: Dec 30, 2009 at 6:18 Quote
Core training is one BIG subject. Here's a good intro:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/core_training_for_smart_folks

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009459
Mobile Version of Website