Dh tires weight

PB Forum :: Downhill
Dh tires weight
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 18, 2010 at 10:53 Quote
does anyone have any input on how well the snakeskin tires (shwalbe) and the new minion exo from maxxis work in terms of limiting/preventing flats? I'm not that rowdy of a rider and would love to trim some weight, but not at the expense of flatting...

Posted: Dec 10, 2012 at 11:29 Quote
The Maxxis Minion DHF EXO weighs in at 800g for the 2.5 and have worked very well against pinch flats and have had luck with tubeless. Definatly a tire to go with

Posted: Sep 23, 2013 at 3:11 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:
if running with inner tubes, you would be pinch flatting such thin tires, unless you are very light or somewhat lucky!

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

I am one to very, very rarely puncture, let alone pinch. I've gone from needing dual ply UST Maxxis tires setup tubeless with 3 cups of Stans No Tubes. To Folding tires with superlight tubes. My lightest setup to date was 540g per tire with 130g Michelin Aircomp Latex tubes. However that was a little too far. My 'regular' summer setup is 580g folding tires with the same latex tubes.

The reason I can do this is not just because I'm a 140 lbs rider, but because I am not a hack. I may ride a sub 30 pound AM bike (170mm x 160mm), but I use it for DH & FR mostly, and feel no need for a burlier or longer travel bike.

I often pondered why I can run the tires I do yet others who ride mellower tracks need tires nearly 3 times as heavy and scooter tubes. Until I watched a bit of footage of the NPS series...

Fair enough, the super fast racers will want the heavy setup because they can't afford to lose due to a flat. But for the average rider up to the fast elites. I think a lighter setup is fine, with a little alteration of your riding style.

Now, try bending your damn legs people! The bike isn't supposed to do 100% of the work, it's not there to spoon feed you, let alone breast feed you like some expect it to. Try getting a little closer to the bars, put a bend in your arms and your legs and start letting that bike move! Take in some of the hits, lighten the bikes load over rockgardens (this'll also make you clear it faster, the bike won't get hooked up so much if your ass doesn't have to be dragged over the rocks), absorb the impact when landing drops. etc.etc.etc. It's not that hard, just try it.

Maybe I'll see you on the trails and you can see why my super light summer setup works fine for me.

Its because you are light af.

Posted: Sep 23, 2013 at 14:33 Quote
Tires: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 EXO, 850gr each with Maxxis Fly weight tubes at 106gr each. I used to run Minnions front and rear which weigh 1200gr each and DH tubes that weighed 200gr each. It was over kill. I saved 2lbs in rotational weight and i noticed a hell of a difference when it came to putting the hammer down. Havn't blown a tube yet

Posted: Sep 25, 2013 at 5:44 Quote
I run tubeless and dont worry about pinch flats havent had a problem weighing at 165 the continental are a good tire also but the tubeless versions are a lot heavier than your using

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014247
Mobile Version of Website