PB Forum :: USA - West
San Luis Obispo Riders
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 9:53 Quote
The Forum is for riders of the San Luis Obispo Area

Keep it clean,

#BANS masoncw #BANS

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 20:47 Quote
I just got back from the Bay Area, specifically the Boy Scouts area of Pacifica. If you've been there then you know it's sick. We may have good technical trails, but we lack an area like Boy Scouts down here. Anyone interested in building some jump spots or adding some to the trails?

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 21:05 Quote
SUP! Nipomo represent!

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 21:24 Quote
Waddup. Looking for more north county stuff though. The grade or SLO would be cool.

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 21:26 Quote
Sombody needs to build an easier access point to Tower( i haven't been able to ride it because i can't find the HAB trailhead, all the old ones are gone?), and rebuild the ladder bridge at the road gap.

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 21:34 Quote
I still haven't ridden Tower, every thing else though. Unless I'm missing something, the only trails with jumps are "FB" (2 measly jumps) and "F*&@" (and those get a bit harry being on the side of a hill and all). Any others?

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 21:40 Quote
jengah wrote:
I still haven't ridden Tower, every thing else though. Unless I'm missing something, the only trails with jumps are "FB" (2 measly jumps) and "F*&@" (and those get a bit harry being on the side of a hill and all). Any others?
FB?
I've tried F*&@... thats not a trail! lol
Bombers trail is supposed to be dope, i haven't tried it out yet, but the vid on youtube looks awesome! Gonna try it out when i get my fork rebuilt.
Tower is loads of fun, but a PITA to get to. All the old HAB trail heads i knew about have been build over... if anybody has an alternate route...

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 22:24 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
Sombody needs to build an easier access point to Tower( i haven't been able to ride it because i can't find the HAB trailhead, all the old ones are gone?), and rebuild the ladder bridge at the road gap.
there planing on doing that. they made the dj SO much bigger too

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 22:26 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
jengah wrote:
FB?
I've tried F*&@... thats not a trail! lol
Bombers trail is supposed to be dope, i haven't tried it out yet, but the vid on youtube looks awesome! Gonna try it out when i get my fork rebuilt.
Tower is loads of fun, but a PITA to get to. All the old HAB trail heads i knew about have been build over... if anybody has an alternate route...

there is black hill. not too hard but there is like 6 different trails down it and they are all flowy

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 8:39 Quote
FB = another trail on the grade that shouldn't be there. That's all I'll say for now.

Where is Bomber?

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 16:53 Quote
there are plenty of freeride hits and jumps in the slo area if you know where to go. please choose a spot wisely if you are going to dig, so you dont upset anyone, and especially DONT modify trails, especially F@%# or tower, records of timed runs have been kept for longer than you have been riding a bike. certain people will and have been very upset to find people modifying features on those trails to make sections easier. If you are going to ride the trail, make sure you walk it first, if you dont think your up to it, or if your going to skid down the whole thing and knock rocks loose, look elsewhere for a trail more at your skill level.

All of the trails mentioned in this thread have many hours of work into them by very skilled riders and racers, and are very technical trails. If you have the ability, and already know where they are, ride them, and enjoy them, but please respect the builders and maintainers, help keep them in good condition, dont post directions or information online. Part of what makes riding dh in slo so special is having amazing trails that are not ridden out or beat to shit.

It sucks that the road gap by the dj's is gone, and that is another very good reason to keep quiet about stuff like that. The dj's have a lot of work into them, so dont f*ck them up .

mbjumper: there are still multiple ways to get to the HAB to tower, try looking around behind the highschool and off johnson. Be warned, the trail is not in very good shape right now, lots of rocks have broken loose, and there is considerable water damage. It definitely needs some work, so if you are a regular user, do your part. If ur a strong hiker, and know where to go, it should be less than an hour round trip, and a true test of dh strength and ability.

Jengah: FB is in very serious danger. If you ride it, be quiet about it, or stay away from it til the situation blows over. If you are looking for jump trails Scream and Bomber both have a few hits on them. If you really want to know where bomber is pm me.
Also, dont go adding jumps to a pre existing trail, they will just get taken down by the cccmb. If you want to build a jump trail, start from scratch, and dont build it near anything that already exists, you dont want to put another trail in danger.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 21:03 Quote
anybody have directions to torker? i was told it was next to a church

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 21:10 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
anybody have directions to torker? i was told it was next to a church
i pmed you

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 21:28 Quote
Disregard my question of where Bomber is - I didn't realize it was called that.

I think "erbissel" has some good points, but the whole scene in SLO is kind of hypocritical. The only reason a lot of the trails that CCMB maintains are there are because they kind of got grandfathered in (yes they do get permission to build some new ones). I'm not sure how many people know this, but most of the trails on the grade are old mining trails from the early 1900's. Something cool to do is to look up the old, original US Geological photos that were taken in the '50s. The government commissioned old WWII bombers to literally fly mapped grids all over the US to take aerial pictures in order to map put much of the US. If you find it, you can see the old black and white photos of the grade area and see old mining trails that are now our riding trails. Cool stuff.

Anyways, I guess we'll just have to keep doing what has always been done and wait for trails to be built/discovered illegally and hope that they either get grandfathered in or not found.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 21:47 Quote
jengah wrote:
Disregard my question of where Bomber is - I didn't realize it was called that.

I think "erbissel" has some good points, but the whole scene in SLO is kind of hypocritical. The only reason a lot of the trails that CCMB maintains are there are because they kind of got grandfathered in (yes they do get permission to build some new ones). I'm not sure how many people know this, but most of the trails on the grade are old mining trails from the early 1900's. Something cool to do is to look up the old, original US Geological photos that were taken in the '50s. The government commissioned old WWII bombers to literally fly mapped grids all over the US to take aerial pictures in order to map put much of the US. If you find it, you can see the old black and white photos of the grade area and see old mining trails that are now our riding trails. Cool stuff.

Anyways, I guess we'll just have to keep doing what has always been done and wait for trails to be built/discovered illegally and hope that they either get grandfathered in or not found.

yeah shooters was a mining road, but 90+% of the other grade trails were built by slo riders. fb, bomber, f@$#, morning glory, pick, what(partly) scream, scorpion, fufu bunny circle, roller coaster, elevator, euc's, elevator shaft, tuff, poly, stenner, and woft were all cut by slo riders within the last decade, most within the last 4 or 5 years. Most of the slo downhiller locals have either built a trail, or put in many hours working on them, myself included, thats why we have so many awesome trails, and thats our reasoning for keeping them quiet.
In what way do you think we are hypocrites? I do take that somewhat personally.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.122800
Mobile Version of Website