San Luis Obispo Riders

PB Forum :: USA - West
San Luis Obispo Riders
Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 22:02 Quote
i too have put in considerable effort in maintaining trails, i think the general concensus is to keep the quiet, but we aren't real stingy.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 22:04 Quote
I didn't mean to offend. I just think that it's funny that people get protective of trails that are built on property other than their own or non-public land. I don't want to start a war, but lets face it, we are lucky to get to ride so many trails around here that you could get busted for riding, because technically they are trespassing or altering of govt. lands.

On a similar note, trails like Bombers or FB, while they may be awesome, are not supported by CCCMB becuase they jeopardize the harmony of the trails that they are luck y enough to have gotten grandfathered in. Trust me, 10 years ago many of the trails that are now kosher to ride were in the same predicament as the ones now in question. Time heals (most) wounds.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 at 22:55 Quote
thats true, a section of the san luis trail runs right through my friend's property, it was really annoying because it would cut through an adobe road and it created a huge rut that their cars would get stuck in... we tore it down and re-routed it around the road... still cuts through the property but everything is cool now

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 9:25 Quote
jengah wrote:
I didn't mean to offend. I just think that it's funny that people get protective of trails that are built on property other than their own or non-public land. I don't want to start a war, but lets face it, we are lucky to get to ride so many trails around here that you could get busted for riding, because technically they are trespassing or altering of govt. lands.

On a similar note, trails like Bombers or FB, while they may be awesome, are not supported by CCCMB becuase they jeopardize the harmony of the trails that they are luck y enough to have gotten grandfathered in. Trust me, 10 years ago many of the trails that are now kosher to ride were in the same predicament as the ones now in question. Time heals (most) wounds.

and thats whats so awesome about slo, that people/govt, mostly turn a blind eye to most of the trails. but that harmony has come more and more out of balance lately, with groups like FASTA trying to make a legal freeride area, and exposing both bomber and fb to the city. before them, when fb was cut, it had a lot of ladder features on it. I was with the builder when we talked to the ranger, and he made us a deal, that the trail wouldnt get destroyed, if we took the ladders down. So we did, but now, largely because FASTA and cccmb have drawn attention to it, people are constantly putting logs and branches blocking the berms up top. but for the first year or so, we had no issues with it, because it was a very secret trail .
I am going to make it clear, i dont support cccmb or fasta, i like their maintaining of trails, though all of them are xc trails. Fact is, it is not the xc trails that i look forward to riding in slo. I got told off by them for cutting off shooters onto bomber the other day. They seem to think they have the god given gift to control all the trails. I mean face it, what legal trail is any good for an 8" travel dh bike? even off the grade, about the only one is tower(and thats even questionably legal). rg, irish dh, valencia, mr toads, p, skid, grass slalom, c jumps, bp, m jumps, rg/t jumps, ping pong, pinball(gone), n black hill, and pirate are all illegal.
So, ride them and enjoy them, take your friends and ride them and enjoy them, but be respectful of the days and months of labor it took to make them, and the pedigree some of the trails(particularily f@#$) have. dont be the one to upset the balance and get a trail destroyed. And please please, if you find any of the other ones, dont post directions online. It is rare, especially in california, to have so many truly tech dh trails within such a small area, and the trails are very unique, thats why slo has so many talented riders. I can go ride whistler for a month and still look forward to coming back to my home trails. Thats my reasoning for being protective.

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 9:36 Quote
i mean we live in an incredible area:
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 at 18:10 Quote
thats the first shot i've ever seen of the last bit of tower that actually kinda tells just how friggin steep it is

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 20:05 Quote
top part of tower needs some 'rut elimination' work.

Posted: Jan 22, 2010 at 19:38 Quote
man i can't stand all those hippie tree huggin CCCMBer's, all they want to do is regulate everything. And FASTA may have seemed like an ok idea, but I'm sure most bikers who call themselves freeriders or whatever would much rather have a full length trail rather than just some small "freeride area" with some gay ladders. For me biking has always had a little bit of a rebellious nature to it and that doesn't go with these organizations and coalitions. Hopefully they leave FB alone.

Posted: Jan 22, 2010 at 20:10 Quote
erbissell wrote:
top part of tower needs some 'rut elimination' work.

If i could figure out how the hell to get up there, i would GLADLY do my part in maintaining the trail!

I suppose i could hike all the way up w/o my bike along the split rail trail (i think thats what it's called).

Posted: Jan 22, 2010 at 20:10 Quote
McNasty wrote:
man i can't stand all those hippie tree huggin CCCMBer's, all they want to do is regulate everything. And FASTA may have seemed like an ok idea, but I'm sure most bikers who call themselves freeriders or whatever would much rather have a full length trail rather than just some small "freeride area" with some gay ladders. For me biking has always had a little bit of a rebellious nature to it and that doesn't go with these organizations and coalitions. Hopefully they leave FB alone.
FASTA is building their bs freeride area, at the expense of the rest of the real trails in the area. They say on the cccmb website that they hope that the freeride area will help to eliminate illegal trail use. The illegal trails are what make slo special. CCCMB and FASTA need to keep to their trails, and not try and police ours, I got yelled at the other day for riding FB by some cccmb guys working on morning glory. What a load of crap, we put in the effort to build our trails, just like they are doing for theirs, the illegal trails worked fine with the dont ask/dont tell system with the city, til they came along and brought the whole thing out of the dark. riding in slo is not about little crappy ladder bridges, its about crazy tech dh, i think some of the same guys who work with fasta, are doing the 'damage' to face.

Posted: Jan 23, 2010 at 18:29 Quote
erbissell that pic of towers is realy a sick pic it does show how steep it realy is thanks for putting thoes pics up of the area
i and a freind just finished a pretty sick new trail on BH thats realy flowy vid on my profile

Posted: Jan 23, 2010 at 18:33 Quote
here this is it

Views: 696    Faves: 3    Comments: 18

Posted: Jan 23, 2010 at 18:34 Quote
JordanSmith127 wrote:
here this is it

Views: 696    Faves: 3    Comments: 18

this thread is pretty cool.

Posted: Jan 23, 2010 at 19:19 Quote
looks like a pretty fun trail, all the corners look sick.

Posted: Jan 23, 2010 at 19:25 Quote
erbissell wrote:
looks like a pretty fun trail, all the corners look sick.

yeah its a really flowy trail but, its way to short.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028789
Mobile Version of Website