Worried about fitting bb and headset

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Worried about fitting bb and headset
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
hi i have bought a ns traffic and am fitting it after Christmas. i am worried about fitting the bb and headset and i have no idea if the frame has to be chased and faced. can anyone help me out on what to do?

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
It's fine. If you're really worried, buy your headset and bb and bring it to your LBS. They'll install it.

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 16:47 Quote
marsbars wrote:
It's fine. If you're really worried, buy your headset and bb and bring it to your LBS. They'll install it.

great so no need to chase and face. and to install the headset should i grease up the cup and hit it in with a bit of wood and a hammer. i dont want to take to lbs as it will be closed over Christmas

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 16:58 Quote
Yes grease the cups it will make it way easier to put them in and get them out. I would just try to make your own press with a long threaded rod and put large washers on each end with nuts and tighten them up evenly if you get what im saying?

Or taaking it to your lbs will be the easiest

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
dsands7 wrote:
Yes grease the cups it will make it way easier to put them in and get them out. I would just try to make your own press with a long threaded rod and put large washers on each end with nuts and tighten them up evenly if you get what im saying?

Or taaking it to your lbs will be the easiest

yeah haha i think i will now

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 17:51 Quote
There's a few problems with using the hammer to put in a headset. It could go in crooked, or you could easily destroy the bearings in the cups.
best choice is to take it to your lbs, or, find a threaded rod longer then your headtube. Put a washer on each end, and then a nut on each end as well. slowly tighten each end, compressing the headset into the headtube.

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 4:01 Quote
marsbars wrote:
There's a few problems with using the hammer to put in a headset. It could go in crooked, or you could easily destroy the bearings in the cups.
best choice is to take it to your lbs, or, find a threaded rod longer then your headtube. Put a washer on each end, and then a nut on each end as well. slowly tighten each end, compressing the headset into the headtube.

great thanks

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 4:16 Quote
does anyone know how to install the bb on a ns majesty. i was told before to tap them in a bit with a rummber mallet, and then tighten the cranks on to them, but that ended up screwing the bearing.
so does anyone know how to do it properly??
thanks, chris

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 8:30 Quote
What kind of bb is it?

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 13:08 Quote
Majesty is a spanish BB I do believe.

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 13:12 Quote
Like the headset idea, take a threaded rod, two washers and two nuts

-[]-|--(-----)--|-[]-

nuts []
bearings ( and )
washers |
threaded rod ----

Tighten each of the nuts back and forth, until the bearings are firmly seated inside the bb shell.

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 14:38 Quote
marsbars wrote:
Like the headset idea, take a threaded rod, two washers and two nuts

-[]-|--(-----)--|-[]-

nuts []
bearings ( and )
washers |
threaded rod ----

Tighten each of the nuts back and forth, until the bearings are firmly seated inside the bb shell.
that is like tightenin the cranks on to it. woudl it just e best if i go to a bike shop nd get it done??

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 15:02 Quote
It's different then the cranks.
Use a washer that is larger then the bearings, that way you don't crush them. The pressure applied is distributed over a larger area.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010358
Mobile Version of Website