RATE MY RIDE XC/AM - RATE THE BIKE posted above you.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
RATE MY RIDE XC/AM - RATE THE BIKE posted above you.
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
Quinn-39 wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
8/10 for me too, stem and none matching dropper to stanchions/shock making my OCD flare up...

Highlander 140, Paint by JMJ designs
Era (painted by JMJ designs)/Storia
Maxima w/Hopp Carbon clamp/shifter mounts and Intend rotors
AXS
XMC1200 w/Berd Spokes
Tune Wunderbar/GT35
EEwings/Wolftooth Stainless
Dward Design CNC Ti seat clamp and jockey wheels
Assegai/DHR
Stamp 11 large
31lb 11oz

Alright. That's it. There's a 10/10.

While each part may not be exactly what I'd personally choose if building from the ground up, I wouldn't change out any of them if the bike was given to me as a complete either.

Proof positive that if you throw bulk money at something you get to win the internet.

WOW!
what can you even upgrade on that like it’s the best parts you could imagine

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 0:00 Quote
There’s a couple of bits that could be lighter, or more integrated but this is (mostly) made up of stuff I’ve used before, I didn’t want to go full experimental and potentially lose functionality.

Potential changes could be:
Integrated bar/stem, but can’t see one that matches the angles of the current setup, so until then…
Zirbel shifters, not sure of the ergonomics, nowhere to hide the blip box without dismantling stuff (I’m not dangerholm…)
Rims could be lighter, but I’m kinda tied to these now with the money I have sunk in the spokes, but I’m happy with them, used other ones on other bikes and no problems so they can stay for now.
Sturdy cycles cranks. 3D printed Ti *homerdrool* but no added functional benefit over EEWings which, equally, don’t have any benefit over cranks 1/3 the cost, so would just be vanity (yep, fully aware of the irony).

I do have a Dward Design Ti BB on the way though, love his stuff Wink

I’ve also got an Intend Edge fork I’m reviving after it’s previous owner abused it to death, not destined to stay on this bike, but I’ll give it a go whilst it waits for a frame of its very own, see how it compares to the Era.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
8tom8 wrote:
Quinn-39 wrote:
tomhoward379 wrote:
8/10 for me too, stem and none matching dropper to stanchions/shock making my OCD flare up...

AXS
XMC1200 w/Berd Spokes
Tune Wunderbar/GT35
Assegai/DHR
Stamp 11 large
31lb 11oz

Alright. That's it. There's a 10/10.

While each part may not be exactly what I'd personally choose if building from the ground up, I wouldn't change out any of them if the bike was given to me as a complete either.

Proof positive that if you throw bulk money at something you get to win the internet.

WOW!
what can you even upgrade on that like it’s the best parts you could imagine

Hence the 10/10 and my comment. Not upgrades- just preference.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 9:17 Quote
MrZ32 wrote:
That Norco Torrent is gorgeous and as good as a hardtail can get so I'll give it a 9 (I cant give any hardtail a 10).

Here is my parts bin special... where I was given an early naughties or late 90's specialized stumpjumper M4 and I thought "why not??".

So I grabbed a whole bunch of bits that I had lying round the garage and put this thing together for a zero direct cost build, While doing so, it gained:
-Wider Bars
-Shorter Stem
-Newer Grips
-more modern air forks
-dropper post
-newer saddle
-4 pot disc brakes with whatever working levers I could find (was v brakes previously)
-26" wheels that have disc mounted wheels (not rim brake ones)

Will have to test it out this weekend on some mundane trails (i have my bigger bikes for the rest of it)

Where I went from this

To this

this is stupid cool, 8/10 because it'd be too much to give this much more, but great job with what you had!

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 18:54 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:

AXS
XMC1200 w/Berd Spokes
Tune Wunderbar/GT35
Assegai/DHR
Stamp 11 large
31lb 11oz

She's stunning.. love the steam punk vibe.. I reckon some slight (rubbed off) stencilling of black around the gold lettering would make it really pop. 9.999999/10.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 18:56 Quote
justgoride wrote:
MrZ32 wrote:
That Norco Torrent is gorgeous and as good as a hardtail can get so I'll give it a 9 (I cant give any hardtail a 10).

Here is my parts bin special... where I was given an early naughties or late 90's specialized stumpjumper M4 and I thought "why not??".

So I grabbed a whole bunch of bits that I had lying round the garage and put this thing together for a zero direct cost build, While doing so, it gained:
-Wider Bars
-Shorter Stem
-Newer Grips
-more modern air forks
-dropper post
-newer saddle
-4 pot disc brakes with whatever working levers I could find (was v brakes previously)

Will have to test it out this weekend on some mundane trails (i have my bigger bikes for the rest of it)

Where I went from this

To this

this is stupid cool, 8/10 because it'd be too much to give this much more, but great job with what you had!

very generous.. cheers. I think it's coolness factor is in how it came to be as opposed to what it is. But functionally, I do really enjoy riding it.

I just put something into it that actually cost money though... some 7wt fork oil to do a quick oil change service. Feels amazing plush (compared to what I would have expected).

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
MrZ32 wrote:
justgoride wrote:
MrZ32 wrote:

-Wider Bars
-Shorter Stem
-Newer Grips
-more modern air forks
-dropper post
-newer saddle

Where I went from this

To this

very generous.. cheers. I think it's coolness factor is in how it came to be as opposed to what it is. But functionally, I do really enjoy riding it.

I just put something into it that actually cost money though... some 7wt fork oil to do a quick oil change service. Feels amazing plush (compared to what I would have expected).

noooo! you've ruined it!
all jokes aside, nice job, looks great and now im willing to bet it rides great too.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 23:31 Quote
MrZ32 wrote:
She's stunning.. love the steam punk vibe.. I reckon some slight (rubbed off) stencilling of black around the gold lettering would make it really pop. 9.999999/10.

Thanks! It doesn’t show up super well in pics, but there is weathering/shading around the logos, looks better IRL…

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 1:59 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
There’s a couple of bits that could be lighter, or more integrated but this is (mostly) made up of stuff I’ve used before, I didn’t want to go full experimental and potentially lose functionality.

Potential changes could be:
Integrated bar/stem, but can’t see one that matches the angles of the current setup, so until then…
Zirbel shifters, not sure of the ergonomics, nowhere to hide the blip box without dismantling stuff (I’m not dangerholm…)
Rims could be lighter, but I’m kinda tied to these now with the money I have sunk in the spokes, but I’m happy with them, used other ones on other bikes and no problems so they can stay for now.
Sturdy cycles cranks. 3D printed Ti *homerdrool* but no added functional benefit over EEWings which, equally, don’t have any benefit over cranks 1/3 the cost, so would just be vanity (yep, fully aware of the irony).

I do have a Dward Design Ti BB on the way though, love his stuff Wink

I’ve also got an Intend Edge fork I’m reviving after it’s previous owner abused it to death, not destined to stay on this bike, but I’ll give it a go whilst it waits for a frame of its very own, see how it compares to the Era.
Hi there. Have you got the Dward BB already? Happy with it?
I'm drooling over his website and considering getting one of them for myself. I think they have chainrings coming soon too???
Cheers!

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 2:05 Quote
Yeah got it but not had a chance to fit it yet. Very shiny and spin-y though :-)

I’ve been pestering him for a chainring for ages now, I think cost of raw materials plus the time it takes to machine is what’s stopping it from being a viable product, eg the jockey wheels are £200 (down from £270), so a chainring might be a bit eye watering…

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 2:11 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
Yeah got it but not had a chance to fit it yet. Very shiny and spin-y though :-)

I’ve been pestering him for a chainring for ages now, I think cost of raw materials plus the time it takes to machine is what’s stopping it from being a viable product, eg the jockey wheels are £200 (down from £270), so a chainring might be a bit eye watering…
Thanks for that. I'm really tempted to get a BB (I think he has one silver BSA in stock atm).

The chainring would be more of a Christmas treat to myself.....

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
that deviate is an easy 10/10. nothing i'd change on that. here's mine:

my newly finished (for now...) Vitus Nucleus. rides great so far, but i haven't taken it down anything serious with the latest parts so we'll have to see. spec is as follows:
Marzocchi Bomber z2, 140mm travel, 2 tokens (was 120mm, so HTA sitting at about 66 unsagged)
Hope Fortus 30 wheelset
Shimano Deore 10 speed drivetrain
Shimano SLX brakes with 203mm XT rotors
WTB tires with Tannus Armour and tubes
Brand-X dropper with Wolftooth Light action ReMote
Nukeproof bars, pedals, seatclamp, and saddle
stock Vitus stem
DMR Deathgrips

other than (almost everything), its pretty much stock. im really stoked to get riding this, super pleased with the latest iteration of it!

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 1:21 Quote
8/10 for that Vitus.
I like the colour. It's nice but doesn't scream "look at me!!!"
No Hope components, which is plus for me.
You lose 0.5 points because of the front rotor sticker (it could be a leaf??)
Extra point because Hardtails rock.

Here's mine:
Frame: Pasilla Ramakka Longer
Fork: Intend Edge 160mm
Brakes: Trickstuff Piccola. Hopp levers and clamps.
Rotors: Hope 203 & 183
Hubs: Tune King & Kong
Rims: Zipp 3Zero Moto 650
Tyres: Schwalbe Magic Mary 27.5x2.4 & Big Betty 27.5x2.4
Headset: Chris King Inset2
Stem: Intend Grace Trail
Handlebars: Rust Components flat Ti
Grips: ESI racer’s edge
Shifters: Zirbel WE01
Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb AXS
Seatpost clamp: Tune Wurger Skyline
Saddle: SQlab Squantara
Cranks: Cane Creek Eewings
Chainring: KA Engineering Sharktooth
Bottom Bracket: Cane Creek Hellbender
Pedals: Time Speciale 12
Chain: SRAM XX1
Derailleur: SRAM Eagle XX1 AXS
Jockey wheels: JRC Components
Cassette: SRAM XG-1299
Rear axle: Infinity Titanium

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 2:49 Quote
Bitelio wrote:
8/10 for that Vitus.
I like the colour. It's nice but doesn't scream "look at me!!!"
No Hope components, which is plus for me.
You lose 0.5 points because of the front rotor sticker (it could be a leaf??)
Extra point because Hardtails rock.

Here's mine:
Frame: Pasilla Ramakka Longer
Fork: Intend Edge 160mm
Brakes: Trickstuff Piccola. Hopp levers and clamps.
Rotors: Hope 203 & 183
Hubs: Tune King & Kong
Rims: Zipp 3Zero Moto 650
Tyres: Schwalbe Magic Mary 27.5x2.4 & Big Betty 27.5x2.4
Headset: Chris King Inset2
Stem: Intend Grace Trail
Handlebars: Rust Components flat Ti
Grips: ESI racer’s edge
Shifters: Zirbel WE01
Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb AXS
Seatpost clamp: Tune Wurger Skyline
Saddle: SQlab Squantara
Cranks: Cane Creek Eewings
Chainring: KA Engineering Sharktooth
Bottom Bracket: Cane Creek Hellbender
Pedals: Time Speciale 12
Chain: SRAM XX1
Derailleur: SRAM Eagle XX1 AXS
Jockey wheels: JRC Components
Cassette: SRAM XG-1299
Rear axle: Infinity Titanium

Mic dropped!! 10!

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 5:04 Quote
So close to a 10/10 for me, only thing I would change would be the tan wall tyres! 9.5/10

My Trek Remedy, definitely a love or hate look to it.

2021 remedy and dvo onyx
One love

2021 Remedy Mullet
2021 DVO Onyx 160mm
Gx 12 speed gearing
Sram code brakes
Bonty carbon front wheel
Wtb rear (rear carbon wheel coming soon)

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021939
Mobile Version of Website