Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 2:24 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Given ti's been a material for near 3 decades, going out on a limb here and saying it's probably not coming.

I don't think I'd actually buy some but did have a look. Very expensive, and only flat or low rise available. Not as light as carbon, tougher than aluminium, lighter than steel but what sort of flex would you get?

I'd imagine cutting them down would be difficult too.

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 2:26 Quote
No harder than cutting down a steel bar, I'd imagine. Steel has a higher shore hardness, no?

Rode a thomson ti bar once. Was pretty stellar. Ride quality was unbelievably good.

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 4:27 Quote
Pargyles rides sweet, but my tires are crappy, I want to change them. I ride dirt a lot and many times park, I thought maxxis dths are a good option, what do you guys think of it ?

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 4:32 Quote
GuillaumeMatt wrote:
Pargyles rides sweet, but my tires are crappy, I want to change them. I ride dirt a lot and many times park, I thought maxxis dths are a good option, what do you guys think of it ?

On dirt I've found dmr supermotos to have more grip than the dth, and if you take the foldable version the weight is similar.

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 4:37 Quote
Cough booze lights cough, though geax has become vittoria. Still the same tyre I think.
Light, grippy and they have a nice squeak

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 5:04 Quote
sherbet wrote:
In motoGP helmets, they'll use it as the outer layer, so if you come down at 200+ mph you may still be able to own a face.

Wow, that almost sounds like anti-abrasion layers are alien shield technology Eek

TheDownhillDude wrote:
I ran a RaceFace Next bar (their carbon xc offering) for about 6 months. The only reason I stopped riding it was because I wanted more than 20mm rise. I beat the absolute shit out of it. Learned 360s on those. They suffered a ton of bails and had tons of gouges when I was done with them. The ends of the bars were all worn down from the bike landing on its side (end caps wore down) and they never broke. I'm truly impressed by them considering they were intended for XC. I really think that if RaceFace or Deity designed a carbon bar for Street/Dj it could have a place with the a lot of other bars loved for park/dj/street

Gouges, huh... Got any photos of the bar? My bars' clear coats are still integral, but lots of small scratches and "concrete" burns. Also, get yourself a proper bar end! Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://media.chainreactioncycles.com//is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod115468_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500
Metro-Gnome wrote:
stupid/crazy as I am with my Morpheus weenie build. huh?

It's such a waste, but why destroy 2 bikes during winter at Joyride? huh? seriously though, if I posted the build, you prob wouldn't believe me... The only thing my Vimana is missing at this point is a Pike dj.... huh?

Point is, I have a 40mm renthal lite carbon bar but can't even tell you what it feels like, because I ride my ns everyday....huh?

This is even more cryptic than my partner's metaphors

sherbet wrote:
Also, sharpie will come out slightly purple, whereas rubber paint will be black.

I sharpied my SB8s a few days ago and it`s only really noticeable if you look for it. Looks sooo gooooood

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 5:13 Quote
I used a can of matte black spray on some old POS tires to get rid of the logos, once. You could tell if you looked closely but only if the bike isn't moving.

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 5:14 Quote
SolarLonsky wrote:
sherbet wrote:
Given ti's been a material for near 3 decades, going out on a limb here and saying it's probably not coming.

I don't think I'd actually buy some but did have a look. Very expensive, and only flat or low rise available. Not as light as carbon, tougher than aluminium, lighter than steel but what sort of flex would you get?

I'd imagine cutting them down would be difficult too.

If you look at the outrageous amounts Renthal and other premium bar manufacturers charge for an Alu handlebar then a Ti bar of the same quality is going to cost a metric shit tonne - and it's probably still going to bend when you ditch the bike Confused

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 5:36 Quote
[Quote="theminsta"]
sherbet wrote:
In motoGP helmets, they'll use it as the outer layer, so if you come down at 200+ mph you may still be able to own a face.

Wow, that almost sounds like anti-abrasion layers are alien shield technology Eek

TheDownhillDude wrote:
I ran a RaceFace Next bar (their carbon xc offering) for about 6 months. The only reason I stopped riding it was because I wanted more than 20mm rise. I beat the absolute shit out of it. Learned 360s on those. They suffered a ton of bails and had tons of gouges when I was done with them. The ends of the bars were all worn down from the bike landing on its side (end caps wore down) and they never broke. I'm truly impressed by them considering they were intended for XC. I really think that if RaceFace or Deity designed a carbon bar for Street/Dj it could have a place with the a lot of other bars loved for park/dj/street

Gouges, huh... Got any photos of the bar? My bars' clear coats are still integral, but lots of small scratches and "concrete" burns. Also, get yourself a proper bar end! Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://media.chainreactioncycles.com//is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod115468_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500
Metro-Gnome wrote:
stupid/crazy as I am with my Morpheus weenie build. huh?

It's such a waste, but why destroy 2 bikes during winter at Joyride? huh? seriously though, if I posted the build, you prob wouldn't believe me... The only thing my Vimana is missing at this point is a Pike dj.... huh?

Point is, I have a 40mm renthal lite carbon bar but can't even tell you what it feels like, because I ride my ns everyday....huh?

This is even more cryptic than my partner's metaphors

sherbet wrote:
Also, sharpie will come out slightly purple, whereas rubber paint will be black.

I sharpied my SB8s a few days ago and it`s only really noticeable if you look for it. Looks sooo

but when riding park/street you kinda wear through Bar ends quickly. I go through a set every month or so. My bars regularly get scraped up on the ends. I don't ride like a hack either. Feel free to check out for my Instagram for any videos you might want to see- @_instaevan. I ride quite hard.

Edit no pics of bars. I have em to a friend who had XC uses for them. I do however have pics of my 2week old Bar ends which are completely scraped down.

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 6:50 Quote
sickdj17 wrote:
Bike

Bike in the trail setup. Apparently Coast Gravity Park requires a front brake
SWEEET! Big Grin how you like it?

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 7:10 Quote
Oh wow I missed this.. Is that an EC90 seatpost? Vivid rear shock as well, holy cow.. How does that feel with 120mm(?) of travel?

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 7:43 Quote
@chrishish Love it one of my favourite bikes for sure. I think this is the 4th one I've owned haha

@theminsta rides really well and it's a carbon haven post along with Carbon Haven bars. Also the vivid air rides really good. Stiff on jumps and park then I can adjust it easily for trails

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 9:10 Quote
Buy odyssey parends, your riding doesnt look like it would wear them down

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 9:40 Quote
henry-turner wrote:

Didn't want to respond because of the self-boost comment Joker but it would take a long time to wear down parends or that hoffman style bar ends...

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 10:36 Quote
theminsta wrote:
henry-turner wrote:

Didn't want to respond because of the self-boost comment Joker but it would take a long time to wear down parends or that hoffman style bar ends...
yeah i noticed lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032835
Mobile Version of Website