Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 12:26 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
findawg6 wrote:
Wondering if people could give me some advice; got a bit of a DJ build underway and have had these 100mm reba RLTs sitting about and not sure how well they would hold up on a DJ buid.. anyone got experience etc? Cheers, Fin.
Came withe the first jump specific bike ive wver had which was a la bomba. It worked, but when i sold the bike, the guy i sent it to in chile i think told me the fork compression was actually broken. I had no clue because this was 3 or 4 years ago when i had no clue how to dirt jump, or what the stuff on my bike did. It will work, but its not built to take high speed and big impacts hits. Pike djs 36 831s, circus, even dj1s amd dj3 are made to take a seriois beating which the reba was not built for. Id spemd your money on a used circus expert. They can be found for 200, and ive only seen one break, which belonged to DJ brandt, and that kid is really hard on his bike.

Cheers for the advice Big Grin

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 12:41 Quote
marzocchi dj forks are ehh

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 12:49 Quote
False wrote:

I love my CR Slope forks. Too bad Fox didn't want continue making them.

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
BSal wrote:
False wrote:

yeah those are sick. was talking about the DJs

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 14:08 Quote
findawg6 wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
findawg6 wrote:
Wondering if people could give me some advice; got a bit of a DJ build underway and have had these 100mm reba RLTs sitting about and not sure how well they would hold up on a DJ buid.. anyone got experience etc? Cheers, Fin.
Came withe the first jump specific bike ive wver had which was a la bomba. It worked, but when i sold the bike, the guy i sent it to in chile i think told me the fork compression was actually broken. I had no clue because this was 3 or 4 years ago when i had no clue how to dirt jump, or what the stuff on my bike did. It will work, but its not built to take high speed and big impacts hits. Pike djs 36 831s, circus, even dj1s amd dj3 are made to take a seriois beating which the reba was not built for. Id spemd your money on a used circus expert. They can be found for 200, and ive only seen one break, which belonged to DJ brandt, and that kid is really hard on his bike.

Cheers for the advice Big Grin
As maxxxxxxx stated if you going on small jumps, should be an issue. Once you start passing 12 to 14 ft jumps, id stay away from the reba. Thing is a noodle. Flexes like crazy.

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 14:15 Quote
jakecoyes wrote:
I like my 80mm's lol
False wrote:
the rise on those bars lol

I ride 3" rise bars . Love the feel and I do like the look of them myself. Over a low rise bar

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 15:25 Quote
False wrote:
BSal wrote:
False wrote:

The DJ series has always been a great fork (ignoring the rather basic clunky DJ3) They have their issues of course, notably being heavier than a cargo ship, but with that you get pretty damn good performance (a well set up 4x, DJ1 or solo air is smooth as anything), a very stiff chassis, Marzocchi's decade long service intervals and finally most of them are completely interchangeable from the last 12 years or so including most of the 32mm forks in Marzocchi's line up, I ran a DJ2 with a RC3 cartridge and Ti spring on a set of 15mm lowers from a Marzocchi 33RLO (I had them laying about and my only other lowers were QR).

When I finally can afford to build another play bike I will be making my own fork again. Would be a set of 55 lowers on 350 espresso uppers and of course an RC3 cartridge, set at 80mm, solo air with no spring set as firm as needed.

Long live Zocchi!!

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 15:40 Quote
findawg6 wrote:
adrennan wrote:
findawg6 wrote:

yeah I'm thinking I'm best investing in some decent dj specific forks. Frustrating becuase it's a tapered steerer frame and most of the tapered DJ forks are more expensive/harder to come by.

tapered manitou circus is like 350 brand new?

Yeah was thinking that would be a decent choice Smile

Marzocchi is selling tapered dj1's for $200 USD now. JensonUSA has them listed for $180...

Posted: Nov 3, 2017 at 20:53 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
False wrote:
BSal wrote:

The DJ series has always been a great fork (ignoring the rather basic clunky DJ3) They have their issues of course, notably being heavier than a cargo ship, but with that you get pretty damn good performance (a well set up 4x, DJ1 or solo air is smooth as anything), a very stiff chassis, Marzocchi's decade long service intervals and finally most of them are completely interchangeable from the last 12 years or so including most of the 32mm forks in Marzocchi's line up, I ran a DJ2 with a RC3 cartridge and Ti spring on a set of 15mm lowers from a Marzocchi 33RLO (I had them laying about and my only other lowers were QR).

When I finally can afford to build another play bike I will be making my own fork again. Would be a set of 55 lowers on 350 espresso uppers and of course an RC3 cartridge, set at 80mm, solo air with no spring set as firm as needed.

Long live Zocchi!!

I still have a 2011 4X/WC lowered to 80mm. I added a DJ1 top cap and run it with air in both legs. Its a great fork.

Posted: Nov 4, 2017 at 1:33 Quote
The DJ1 is the 1 fork I hate to admit I actually have a soft spot for. It might be heavier than anything else, but when Sam Pilgrims Signature bike comes with one stock you have to admit they're onto something. A well serviced, properly modded, Dj1 is the only dj fork i owned (and just in my head I count 13 over the past ten years) that I never had to over-pressurize to feel truly confident landing. You really don't even have to service it much after modding it.

The main reason I've owned at least 5-6 in the past is simply because they came stock on pretty much everything dj-wise from 2001-2010. STPs, P3s, Norcos, in those days often came with DJ1s as the standard Street/DJ fork that they knew would hold up to anyones' general DJ abuse with little to no servicing.

In fact, if a brand new 2005 DJ1 were tested against say, a 2015 RCT, many would pick the DJ1 if it didn't weigh an entire pound more.

Old school Manitou Sherman's, gold labels and golden-age Marzos we're actually really good. Younger people will never know. Y'all missed out

Posted: Nov 4, 2017 at 1:43 Quote
Those first-gen 'Zocchi 4X forks were my favorite of the Marzo line, followed closely by the 55CR Slope.

Man I miss those old 4X forks...had one for a while, put it on a few different bikes...

Posted: Nov 4, 2017 at 1:51 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
The DJ1 is the 1 fork I hate to admit I actually have a soft spot for. It might be heavier than anything else, but when Sam Pilgrims Signature bike comes with one stock you have to admit they're onto something. A well serviced, properly modded, Dj1 is the only dj fork i owned (and just in my head I count 13 over the past ten years) that I never had to over-pressurize to feel truly confident landing. You really don't even have to service it much after modding it.

The main reason I've owned at least 5-6 in the past is simply because they came stock on pretty much everything dj-wise from 2001-2010. STPs, P3s, Norcos, in those days often came with DJ1s as the standard Street/DJ fork that they knew would hold up to anyones' general DJ abuse with little to no servicing.

In fact, if a brand new 2005 DJ1 were tested against say, a 2015 RCT, many would pick the DJ1 if it didn't weigh an entire pound more.

Old school Manitou Sherman's, gold labels and golden-age Marzos we're actually really good. Younger people will never know. Y'all missed out
but I guess the same could be said about the manitou circus expert. except it is actually pretty light. and they are bomb proof. and you dont need to over pressurize either, nor do you need to mod and you can find them cheap.

Posted: Nov 4, 2017 at 17:23 Quote
How many of you guys have had bad experiences with pike djs? Im looking at building up a new slope bike, and... i really want to try a pike dj, but ive always been scared because some
People have had issues with it, like destroying the charger damper.

Posted: Nov 4, 2017 at 17:52 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
How many of you guys have had bad experiences with pike djs? Im looking at building up a new slope bike, and... i really want to try a pike dj, but ive always been scared because some
People have had issues with it, like destroying the charger damper.

I've had two old 26 pikes that I've lowered to 100mm, both have been 100% solid, no issues. I've had one 'PIKE DJ' that I bought brand new, it was great. Feels a touch better than a lowered 26 pike, but after a year and a half there was some stiction issues caused by out of spec lowers. Still I sent them in and they replaced everything but the uppers with brand new parts. Have since thrashed it and had 0 issues. The thing about sram is that they may sometimes have issues, but they take care of their shit really well and really fast. I love mine, and would take it over any DJ for anyday.

Posted: Nov 5, 2017 at 3:18 Quote
Niko, i thinks it depends on youre riding and the ways you set up the forks. I know mine is blown inside because i haven’t had the right set up at first and i push it to the extreme. But it’s a really good forks, really stiff and lightweight. I’d say go for it

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.024994
Mobile Version of Website