Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 18:45 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Anyone have any direct comparison ride time between the Circus Expert and the Pike DJ?
ive owned the 2012 Circus expert and ridden a couple pike DJ's. Id go for the circus. My circus was 2 years old when i got it and still feels better than the Pike DJ. a lot of people seem to have issues with the Pike DJ, and I haven't heard of any one breaking a circus except for DJ brandt, who rides his bike harder than anyone I know. I have heard of a lot of people braking Pike DJ's tho. and the new circus with the black stanctions looks pretty sick imo. save some cash and buy the circus.

Save sooooo much cash honestly lol I won't list numbers, but the Circus is 1/3 the price of the Pike DJ at my cost. And allegedly only 0.26 lbs heavier, but also with a genuine 20x110 axle.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 18:49 Quote
I'd probably buy a Circus right now but I have a really nice brakeless 15mm front wheel, so I am waiting and hoping they update it to 15mm. The Specialized P3 Pro comes with a 15mm Circus which I find interesting.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 18:52 Quote
Actually that is interesting. 15x100?

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 18:54 Quote
you could use an adapter to run that front wheel with a 20mm axle fork

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 18:58 Quote
seraph wrote:

The hub specs say 15x100, the fork specs just say 15mm through-axle.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 19:08 Quote
crs-one wrote:
seraph wrote:

Hmm interesting. I have known bike companies such as Specialized to have component manufacturers create custom parts for them, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 15mm Circus was unique to the P.3 Pro.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 20:19 Quote
seraph wrote:
crs-one wrote:
seraph wrote:

Hmm interesting. I have known bike companies such as Specialized to have component manufacturers create custom parts for them, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 15mm Circus was unique to the P.3 Pro.

Yeah, I really want one the more I look at it. Bolt-on 15mm and no pinch bolts presumably make it lighter than the 20mm version (at the expense of stiffness), gets it even closer to the Pike. Finding one used is probably pretty easy but new will be tough.

Specialized definitely gets lots of custom stuff made. Just tonight I discovered they made a Specialized-branded Shimano SPD.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 21:33 Quote
seraph wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Anyone have any direct comparison ride time between the Circus Expert and the Pike DJ?
ive owned the 2012 Circus expert and ridden a couple pike DJ's. Id go for the circus. My circus was 2 years old when i got it and still feels better than the Pike DJ. a lot of people seem to have issues with the Pike DJ, and I haven't heard of any one breaking a circus except for DJ brandt, who rides his bike harder than anyone I know. I have heard of a lot of people braking Pike DJ's tho. and the new circus with the black stanctions looks pretty sick imo. save some cash and buy the circus.

Save sooooo much cash honestly lol I won't list numbers, but the Circus is 1/3 the price of the Pike DJ at my cost. And allegedly only 0.26 lbs heavier, but also with a genuine 20x110 axle.
Circus imo is one of the only items in the bike industry that doesnt make sense. They could sell it for way more, and its worth so much much. It does about 75 percent of what the 36 831 does for like 20 percent of the price. It does 90 percent of what the pike dj does for 35 percent of the pike dj. If i hadnt found my 831s for dirt cheap id probably have a set of circus' on my bike.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 at 22:42 Quote
newfbmx wrote:
SolarLonsky wrote:
newfbmx wrote:
would the stolen mobs be fine for my void? 68mm bb shell,and with 175mm ruktions the chainstays at the widest point they reach is 5". the mobs have a 5.8" spindle. sorry if the question is stupid,I'm a newb here lol Razz

I ran them on a void for a while, but the spindle wasn't really big enough and there was a bit of a gap where they didn't fill the crank arm. I got away with it but I wouldn't run cranks like that again. I ran either a 25t or 28t chain ring, sorry I can't remember for sure.
I'll probably end up running 25/12,I have decent clearance with a 34t now. my two options for cranks were the mobs or talons,unless I can find a pair of O1 8s cranks.correct me if I'm wrong but the O1's have a 6" spindle don't they?
helll to the no, if anything go 28/12 25/9 feels like cheese on my bmx, granted the wheelsize affects the gearing but still

Also i rode second hand mobs for like a year on my void until I snapped the thredless boss off of them

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 0:13 Quote
newfbmx wrote:
O1's have a 6" spindle don't they?

I don't know, but if they're made by octane they'll be fine for their frames. You need to run the smaller chain ring because there isn't much room on the spindle so it needs to be close to the frame and hence you use less spacers.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 6:57 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Niko182 wrote:

Circus imo is one of the only items in the bike industry that doesnt make sense. They could sell it for way more, and its worth so much much. It does about 75 percent of what the 36 831 does for like 20 percent of the price. It does 90 percent of what the pike dj does for 35 percent of the pike dj. If i hadnt found my 831s for dirt cheap id probably have a set of circus' on my bike.

This^^ never buy a pike DJ, I’ve broken 2 in the past year and my 3rd one is on its way out (rockshox keeps covering them under warranty)

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 7:42 Quote
TheDownhillDude wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
seraph wrote:

This^^ never buy a pike DJ, I’ve broken 2 in the past year and my 3rd one is on its way out (rockshox keeps covering them under warranty)

What about RCT Inners/Uppers with Pike lowers (opposite of a Pargyle)? I've got a set of Circus Expert's on my smaller DJ that's for sale and I honestly like the.... uuuuh Argykes? haha.... on my bigger bike better. Both great, but I guess it's a preference thing. I suppose I'm a little bias as I haven't broken anything yet though.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 8:17 Quote
Meeners wrote:
TheDownhillDude wrote:
Niko182 wrote:

What about RCT Inners/Uppers with Pike lowers (opposite of a Pargyle)? I've got a set of Circus Expert's on my smaller DJ that's for sale and I honestly like the.... uuuuh Argykes? haha.... on my bigger bike better. Both great, but I guess it's a preference thing. I suppose I'm a little bias as I haven't broken anything yet though.
pikes have got 35mm stanchions vs 32mm argyles, so no more mixing and matching. Plus you'd be sacraficing tapered steerer

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 8:58 Quote
christianlund wrote:
ArcherMatt wrote:
Anyone know any good dirt jump spots in north eastern mass/ southern new hampshire?
there's the Sherwood forest at highland, not sure if it's open now tho

This!
Plus they have the indoor park, it's prob open in winter??

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 13:31 Quote
I'd go for the pike dj over the circus. Circuses break just as much they just don't cost as much so people make a bigger deal out of an issue with the pike. 15mm axles are pretty standard now so wheelsets aren't much of a problem to get. And even with the 15mm axle it feels so much stiffer then the circus. the pikes damper feels much more refined and controlled than the circus in my opinion. Plus the pike doesn't look bad like the circus. And sram has really good costumer service. It's well worth the extra money. And btw I've ridden both forks extensively.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017760
Mobile Version of Website