Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
My experience has been that all weight isn't placed equally, and many DJ/street bikes feel front-heavy. Tires and rims are of course the best place to start, cranks are the worst, but saving a few pounds on a fork (while potentially improving the ride quality) is definitely a big deal.

The irony is that DJ bikes suffer from massive amounts of abuse when used as intended, but they also benefit from light wheels more than pretty much any other kind of MTB (imvho)

Posted: Jul 8, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
Definitely a big change from when it first started and everything being bulky as f*ck. A Banshee Morphine frame, with Mag30s (or Funn 48H wheelset), and Truvativ crank with the bash guard that was 18" in diameter, compared to now with Carbon everything except forks.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
Heck yeah, I remember riding my 2005 P3 cromo, with 8 speeds, an X5 derailleur, cheapest cassette possible(actually split in half at one point), full truvativ chainguide, and front and rear brakes with Sun ditch witch rims on 2.5" hookworms. Thing must've been 32-35 pounds now that I think back. I actually kind of want to build another one now to weight weenie one of my old steeds and see how light I could build one almost 15 years later.

Edit: sorry I obviously mean P2 cromo, spesh has never made a cromo P3, even though that's an arbitrary diff all things considered

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
My 2007 P1 was 15kgs easy.
Tank of a frame, DJ3, steel bars, hussefelt cranks and finishing kit, MTX 34s, BB5...

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
photo

Artsy pic of my old NS.

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
photo

Finally got the DJ built, keen to bust out some pump track and BMX runs....

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
Nice, I figured I'd be one of the first to put a frame bag on a dj or trials bike, you beat me to it lol.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
Kitejumping wrote:
Nice, I figured I'd be one of the first to put a frame bag on a dj or trials bike, you beat me to it lol.
its less annoying and more useful than i thought it would be. i think im still gonna sew a mark II that fits a little better.

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
flogme wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:
its less annoying and more useful than i thought it would be. i think im still gonna sew a mark II that fits a little better.

Instead of velcro you can sew through a bunch of loops around the edges that have attachment points inside and outside, then lace it on with shock cord. You can then use the loops and shock cord inside to secure your things so they aren't bouncing around in the bag.

Posted: Jul 11, 2019 at 19:26 Quote
Anyone in the soledad area know any semi close dirt jump trails? headed down there in a couple weeks and taking my bike if there are any good trails close

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 15:21 Quote
New frame and now need new crankset, stuck between Profile Race or Saint with Wolftooth Chainring. Profile BB better be the best thing ever made for the price compared to the Hollowtech 2

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 16:15 Quote
AntN wrote:
photo

Are they the enve carbon rims? How do you find them for strength, stiffness, etc. I was thinking of going carbon rims on my slope style bike. But I'd seen a few damaged, snapped ones n just opted for a good light DH rim(stans no tubes 'flow mk3) so happy with them. Plus my bike is lite as already, feels perfect for me. I find going to lite can feel shit. Fine line.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
snyds1987 wrote:
AntN wrote:
photo

Are they the enve carbon rims? How do you find them for strength, stiffness, etc. I was thinking of going carbon rims on my slope style bike. But I'd seen a few damaged, snapped ones n just opted for a good light DH rim(stans no tubes 'flow mk3) so happy with them. Plus my bike is lite as already, feels perfect for me. I find going to lite can feel shit. Fine line.
Sounds like you shouldn't get enves...

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 17:33 Quote
snyds1987 wrote:
AntN wrote:
photo

So far so good, I don't attempt slope style stuff or hit any massive flat landings though. On the pump track loving the stiffness and lightness. Currently running lightweight bladed spokes, so I may opt to have them rebuilt with a thicker spoke and just to be sure they're all proper tensioned.

If you're smashing your bike or busting out 360s or hitting half pipes etc I'd suggest Al rims...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.052047
Mobile Version of Website