Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Author Message
Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
snyds1987 wrote:
AntN wrote:

Finally got the DJ built, keen to bust out some pump track and BMX runs....
Are they the enve carbon rims? How do you find them for strength, stiffness, etc. I was thinking of going carbon rims on my slope style bike. But I'd seen a few damaged, snapped ones n just opted for a good light DH rim(stans no tubes 'flow mk3) so happy with them. Plus my bike is lite as already, feels perfect for me. I find going to lite can feel shit. Fine line.
Sounds like you shouldn't get enves...

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 17:33 Quote
snyds1987 wrote:
AntN wrote:

Finally got the DJ built, keen to bust out some pump track and BMX runs....
Are they the enve carbon rims? How do you find them for strength, stiffness, etc. I was thinking of going carbon rims on my slope style bike. But I'd seen a few damaged, snapped ones n just opted for a good light DH rim(stans no tubes 'flow mk3) so happy with them. Plus my bike is lite as already, feels perfect for me. I find going to lite can feel shit. Fine line.
So far so good, I don't attempt slope style stuff or hit any massive flat landings though. On the pump track loving the stiffness and lightness. Currently running lightweight bladed spokes, so I may opt to have them rebuilt with a thicker spoke and just to be sure they're all proper tensioned.

If you're smashing your bike or busting out 360s or hitting half pipes etc I'd suggest Al rims...

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 20:09 Quote
Yeah hat was my worry so I went with a decent aluminum DH rim since I mostly ride DJ trails, n learning 360's, whips, tables, T-bogs. I'm happy with my choice. I'm not racing so carbon just isn't needed, I'd rather strength over half a kg less in weight. that way I can be confident my bikes not gonna crumble on me.
Thanks

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 20:39 Quote
ImMattWard wrote:
New frame and now need new crankset, stuck between Profile Race or Saint with Wolftooth Chainring. Profile BB better be the best thing ever made for the price compared to the Hollowtech 2

Meh, don't know if you need a threaded BB, but I got one from Profile Racing like 6 months ago and the cups had like 5-6 burrs on the threads. I couldn't of screwed it into my frame the way it came, not even close. I had to clean them up first, which took little chunks out of the threads with them.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 21:30 Quote
That's brutal. Just horrible quality control on that. I've had a few BB's that were quality like that but just cheap shimano and gxp types. Air die tools at the shop come in handy.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 22:35 Quote
Draggon wrote:
ImMattWard wrote:
New frame and now need new crankset, stuck between Profile Race or Saint with Wolftooth Chainring. Profile BB better be the best thing ever made for the price compared to the Hollowtech 2

Meh, don't know if you need a threaded BB, but I got one from Profile Racing like 6 months ago and the cups had like 5-6 burrs on the threads. I couldn't of screwed it into my frame the way it came, not even close. I had to clean them up first, which took little chunks out of the threads with them.

Stuff like this is common with profile, I've had a crank set that had a axle thread full of swarf that needed chasing out. Mini hubs with constantly loose cones.Heard a good few stories like this.Shame as other wise it's good stuff.Hollow tech will be good unless you need a small sprocket.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 2:15 Quote
It's actually a funny comparison to me, because in my entire life I've snapped two cromoly crank arms clean off, and only ever bent one aluminum crankarm. It was a Zee, though, so closest cheap comparison to Saint (just much lower-end)

Honestly if you ride trails and dj only I'd go Saint, personally. BB included, and you can always get used to whatever gear ratio it forces you to run. Min 30 unless you go granny and run a weird chainline.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 2:38 Quote
Which cromoly cranks were they? Low end non heat treated 8 spline?

Or just a shitty rband

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 15:31 Quote
Onyx single speed Zink hub titanium spokes 26 nextie rims 950g.
Onyx single speed Zink hub titanium spokes 26 nextie rims 950g.

Sooooo good, titanium spokes to go with the titanium dirt jumper lol.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 16:57 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Onyx hub?

Onyx Cam Zink signature edition.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
That is so nice..

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 20:48 Quote
Time will tell but after riding jumps this evening 21 lbs for a dj bike might be too light hahahaha

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 5:17 Quote
No way dude it feels incredible after about a fifteen minute adjustment period. You're going to love it. What are the specs on those wheels?

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
crs-one wrote:
No way dude it feels incredible after about a fifteen minute adjustment period. You're going to love it. What are the specs on those wheels?

Rear 950g, front 740g.

Spokes: https://www.albes.com/usa-brand-titanium-spoke-in-rainbow/

What I noticed is that doing any kind of moto whips it feels way more twitchy, like you have to be on point or it wants to get away from you and not come back haha.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024127
Mobile Version of Website