Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 5:49 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
tulipanek wrote:
Btw. that Hope rear hub is so sick !!! So loud !!! Is there any hub on the market that is louder ? i'm talking about trial/ss version with 88 engagement points.
Views: 118    Faves: 1    Comments: 0

My pro 2 trials SS is WAY louder than my pro 4 trials SS

HOW COME ?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
not sure, I'd think more pawls means less spring pressure (an noise) on each individual pawl??
could be the wheel build/tension.. spokes amplifying the noise??
could just be something simple like the amount of lube Big Grin

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 6:24 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
not sure, I'd think more pawls means less spring pressure (an noise) on each individual pawl??
could be the wheel build/tension.. spokes amplifying the noise??
could just be something simple like the amount of lube Big Grin

I think the smaller the gap between engagement points, the shallower they are, so the impact of the spring won't be as powerful, if you take a high engagement up apart, say 120+ and compare it to the inside of a 44t, the 44t will have deep engagement points like a ratchet, whereas the 120t will look like small knerlings

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
Louder hubs are usually loud due to the springs they use, A heavier spring is going to force the pawl into the ratchet harder and faster giving a more defined click. Think of it like slapping an ass, the more force you put into your hand the louder that clap gonna be. Hence why you can have some hella loud high engagement hubs (i9, king etc) and some super quiet low engagement hubs like Shimano or Alex.

Of course lubricant can go a long way towards silencing the noise somewhat due to dispersal of force through a lower density material... Or something like that involving the ass clap scenario again.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 15:54 Quote
Just another NS Decade with some custom anodized parts.

NS Decade
Manitou Circus 100mm
Sun Inferno27 + NS Rotary + DT Comp
RaceFace Aeffect + 32t
Chromag Ranger + Spank Spoon
Special Edition)) Hope Tech X2

NS Decade Manitou chromag Hope

Weight about 11 kg.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 12:25 Quote

Finally got one for a steal. Wanting to try this frame for a while. Won't look as good as draggons but a good powder coat and she'll look pretty.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
ImMattWard wrote:

Finally got one for a steal. Wanting to try this frame for a while. Won't look as good as draggons but a good powder coat and she'll look pretty.

Looks good already! Do you have experience riding a dirt jumper with a powder coat? I've been considering coating mine, but am a little concerned I'll just destroy it with no good way to do touch ups.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 8:11 Quote
Ya my Killswitch was done and it was done as a side project by a guy who worked in a shop, so I'm not entirely sure it was done properly, but it was pretty tough. There was some chipping at the bottom bracket and headtube from installing parts. But it definitely held it's color after every clean. and was pretty durable against chain slap, grease just washed off. It's a good way to make it look better and stand out with a wide selection of color and finishes.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
ImMattWard wrote:
Ya my Killswitch was done and it was done as a side project by a guy who worked in a shop, so I'm not entirely sure it was done properly, but it was pretty tough. There was some chipping at the bottom bracket and headtube from installing parts. But it definitely held it's color after every clean. and was pretty durable against chain slap, grease just washed off. It's a good way to make it look better and stand out with a wide selection of color and finishes.

Nice. I have a friend with a full powder coating setup, and have been looking into the supplies here: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/
They have quite a lot of different options for color, finish and durability. Other option I'm considering is just to paint it with something readily available, as to make touch ups easier.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
ImMattWard wrote:

Nice. I have a friend with a full powder coating setup, and have been looking into the supplies here: https://www.prismaticpowders.com/
They have quite a lot of different options for color, finish and durability. Other option I'm considering is just to paint it with something readily available, as to make touch ups easier.

Oh ya they have tons of options plus they add pictures of actual paint on real things so it helps. But if it blasted, prepped and clear coated it's worth it. Cheaper option will always be spray paint, but if you can you should at least get it media blasted down to raw because it's just makes it easier to spray.

Posted: Jul 27, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
New to me fork, a 2009 fox 36 talas rc2. Shortened it to 95mm by machining a spacer on a lathe. Talas guts are removed. Also laced a new wheel for it, NS Fundemental rim to a giant 20mm thru hub, with dt champion spokes and wheelsmith spoke nipples. Plan on lacing the hope rear hub to the same rim this week. Also have a purple deity stem arriving this week.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 11:18 Quote
Hot shit dude.

Anyone have opinions on the Monk as a street frame?

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 11:19 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Hot shit dude.

They have cracking headtube issues. Not sure how long it would last as a street frame

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 12:17 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Hot shit dude.

Worked pretty good for me. My only beef was the dropouts, I didn't buy the chain tugs so a few times the wheel would move no matter how much I torqued the bolts.

Best option for street frame would be Partymaster or the 2018 Majesty street version.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
Not stoked on Altruist, no offense to anyone here, but I remember the days of Dob bikes with anything but rose tints.

Work at a shop, so options are kinda limited. Need to call Lama tomorrow and see if the Majs they have in stock are the street or the park version. Can also get a Kona Shonky, or a Chromag Monk. Again, not a ton of options.

Could technically get an Alcatraz or a Jackal, but looking steel.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030164
Mobile Version of Website