Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
That isn't an 831. Looks pretty beat. If you're hoping to own it for a while, would look elsewhere for ease of small parts and warranty. A circus brand new isn't too much more.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 10:42 Quote
sherbet wrote:
That isn't an 831. Looks pretty beat. If you're hoping to own it for a while, would look elsewhere for ease of small parts and warranty. A circus brand new isn't too much more.

That's what I was thinking. You could spend just a bit more and have a brand new Circus expert.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
sherbet wrote:

That's what I was thinking. You could spend just a bit more and have a brand new Circus expert.

Yeah man. Not a bad fork when lowered etc but it pretty old.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:
brightbmx wrote:

absolutely

Buy it before someone else does. That's crazy cheap for an 831.

This is the one I was looking at: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2668234/
$400 CAD can easily buy you a brand new Manitou circus expert.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
crs-one wrote:

Who made it and what's the geo? It looks real good.

Just to weigh in here - if someone doesn't ride bikes, I just say BMX. If they do ride bikes, I'll say dirt jumper. Around my friends and other DJ riders I'll go even further and say "street bike" because strictly speaking, I don't ride dirt on this thing.

Quick side note - I would recommend swapping those tires out if you're grinding. They feel great but they are seriously delicate.

It's a Dutch Bikes custom frame and I'm super happy how it turned out. I got super specific on the geo and tubing specs:

TopTube Length: 22.5inches
TopTube Tubing Diameter: 1 & 1/4 inch
TopTube Tubing Thickness: 0.049
DownTube Tubing Diameter: 1 & ½ inch
DownTube Tubing Thickness: 0.049
SeatTube standover length: 11 inches (center of bb to center of top tube)
SeatTube Internal Diameter: 1 inch for standard bmx seat post
SeatTube angle: 75 degrees
SeatTube Style: Welded onto the down tube on the front edge of the bottom bracket to give the tire more clearance
Chainstay Length: 14.
Chainstay Tubing Diameter: 3/4 inch tapered
Chainstay Tubing Thickness: 0.049
Chainstay bridge: NA - See design
Seatstay Tubing Diameter: 3/4 inch tapered
Seatstay Tubing Thickness: 0.049
Seatstay bridge: curved tube style 5/8ths inch
Seatstay other notes: bullet tipped seatstay caps
Seatstay Style: A frame stays
Bottom Bracket type: Mid
Bottom Bracket Height: .75 inches above axle line when using a fork with a 430mm axle to crown height, or 13.75
above ground with 26 tires.
Bottom Bracket Style: internally relieved
Dropout slot size: 14mm axle
Dropout spacing: 110mm – standard bmx hub width
Brakes mounts: 990 U-brake
Brake mount style: angled Welded mounts
Brake mount width: 84 mm’s apart
Brake Mount location: underside of Seatstays.
Brake cable stop: welded plate style that sits 45 mm away from the seat tube on underside of toptube
Headtube style: 1 and 1/8th inch 45/45 integrated headtube
Headtube length: 127mm
Headtube angle: 74.5 degrees

So far the KHE tires are holding up, but I should mention that I waxed the shit out of the sidewalls. I know they may not last long, so I'm thinking about ordering some Maxis DTH's in 2.1 and 2.3 just to have on hand as backups. Only time will tell how much life I'll get out of the KHE's...

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
how did you come up with all of that geo? I always wonder that, with custom frames, like did you base it off of another bike that you liked in the past? or just come up with it?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
BunkyD wrote:
crs-one wrote:

Who made it and what's the geo? It looks real good.

Just to weigh in here - if someone doesn't ride bikes, I just say BMX. If they do ride bikes, I'll say dirt jumper. Around my friends and other DJ riders I'll go even further and say "street bike" because strictly speaking, I don't ride dirt on this thing.

Quick side note - I would recommend swapping those tires out if you're grinding. They feel great but they are seriously delicate.

It's a Dutch Bikes custom frame and I'm super happy how it turned out. I got super specific on the geo and tubing specs:

TopTube Length: 22.5inches
TopTube Tubing Diameter: 1 & 1/4 inch
TopTube Tubing Thickness: 0.049
DownTube Tubing Diameter: 1 & ½ inch
DownTube Tubing Thickness: 0.049
SeatTube standover length: 11 inches (center of bb to center of top tube)
SeatTube Internal Diameter: 1 inch for standard bmx seat post
SeatTube angle: 75 degrees
SeatTube Style: Welded onto the down tube on the front edge of the bottom bracket to give the tire more clearance
Chainstay Length: 14.
Chainstay Tubing Diameter: 3/4 inch tapered
Chainstay Tubing Thickness: 0.049
Chainstay bridge: NA - See design
Seatstay Tubing Diameter: 3/4 inch tapered
Seatstay Tubing Thickness: 0.049
Seatstay bridge: curved tube style 5/8ths inch
Seatstay other notes: bullet tipped seatstay caps
Seatstay Style: A frame stays
Bottom Bracket type: Mid
Bottom Bracket Height: .75 inches above axle line when using a fork with a 430mm axle to crown height, or 13.75
above ground with 26 tires.
Bottom Bracket Style: internally relieved
Dropout slot size: 14mm axle
Dropout spacing: 110mm – standard bmx hub width
Brakes mounts: 990 U-brake
Brake mount style: angled Welded mounts
Brake mount width: 84 mm’s apart
Brake Mount location: underside of Seatstays.
Brake cable stop: welded plate style that sits 45 mm away from the seat tube on underside of toptube
Headtube style: 1 and 1/8th inch 45/45 integrated headtube
Headtube length: 127mm
Headtube angle: 74.5 degrees

So far the KHE tires are holding up, but I should mention that I waxed the shit out of the sidewalls. I know they may not last long, so I'm thinking about ordering some Maxis DTH's in 2.1 and 2.3 just to have on hand as backups. Only time will tell how much life I'll get out of the KHE's...

Thanks for the answer! I've been in the market for a custom frame with similarly short chainstays for a while, never heard of these guys before but this thing is too nice. I'll send you a PM with some more specific questions.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
traqs wrote:
how did you come up with all of that geo? I always wonder that, with custom frames, like did you base it off of another bike that you liked in the past? or just come up with it?

Two parts educated guess, and One part giant stab in the dark.

I had an Illbikes Peanut back in the day (pic in my profile) that was probably one of the streetiest geos of a 26 at the time, and I kind of built off of how that rode as well as my experience riding about a half dozen stock bmx 24 frames and doing 3 custom bmx cruiser frames and tweaking that geo over time to get what I wanted feel wise. I kind of took some combinations of what I knew from both of those things and Jurassic Park style added some frog DNA in there to fill in the gaps and make things work.

crs-one wrote:
Thanks for the answer! I've been in the market for a custom frame with similarly short chainstays for a while, never heard of these guys before but this thing is too nice. I'll send you a PM with some more specific questions.

Yeh, no problem. I'm obviously a bit of a bike nerd.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 14:03 Quote
BunkyD wrote:
traqs wrote:

I had an Illbikes Peanut back in the day (pic in my profile) that was probably one of the streetiest geos of a 26 at the time, and I kind of built off of how that rode as well as my experience riding about a half dozen stock bmx 24 frames and doing 3 custom bmx cruiser frames and tweaking that geo over time to get what I wanted feel wise. I kind of took some combinations of what I knew from both of those things and Jurassic Park style added some frog DNA in there to fill in the gaps and make things work.

That's rad dude. I'd love to try that bike out.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 14:54 Quote
BunkyD wrote:
traqs wrote:
how did you come up with all of that geo?

that seems like an expensive stab in the dark

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
Hello Guys , i just buyed all the parts for my 24 DJ Build , I just need a 26 frame now (yes 26)
But I don’t want too get out of my budget , what can I have for around 300 euros? Or that don’t brake the bank. I loved the Dartmoor two6player and it’s just 270 bucks.
Can you pros of the DJ tell me some cool frames? Cheers

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 15:34 Quote
just to clarify, your budget for the frame is 300 eur? not the whole build?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
Sorry I'm asking so many questions about forks, but what are your opinions on the Circus Comp vs. Expert? The Comp is $460 and Expert is $600 (from S4 suspension). My goal with this bike is to determine whether or not I want to invest in a better bike, and if I enjoy it, I'll swap most of the parts over to a new frame (probably Chromag Monk). My current bike has a straight steerer whereas the Monk uses tapered, so I'd probably get a different crown race to make it compatible (or buy a new CSU). Then there is always the chance that I won't enjoy it enough to want a dedicated DJ, and I don't want to lose too much money on it

Thoughts?

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 2:53 Quote
Yep the budget is around 300 for the frame

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Sorry I'm asking so many questions about forks, but what are your opinions on the Circus Comp vs. Expert? The Comp is $460 and Expert is $600 (from S4 suspension). My goal with this bike is to determine whether or not I want to invest in a better bike, and if I enjoy it, I'll swap most of the parts over to a new frame (probably Chromag Monk). My current bike has a straight steerer whereas the Monk uses tapered, so I'd probably get a different crown race to make it compatible (or buy a new CSU). Then there is always the chance that I won't enjoy it enough to want a dedicated DJ, and I don't want to lose too much money on it

Thoughts?
planning on replacing the CSU is not a good plan, the parts and labour will be too much to make sense. Would be much easier to swap out the bottom headset cup to work with a straight steerer. Also I can't comment on the Manitou forks specifically but I believe most riders have their dj bikes set super firm where the suspension is only used in a bad nose case or a to flat situation. So if there isn't a structural difference between those forks I certainly wouldn't pay for additional adjustments. With regards to enjoying a dj bikes, I think the speed and precision of a dj bike is contagious and you'll love it. There was just an interview on the front page with one of the pro dh racers can't remember who, saying that the pump track bike is some of the best all around training.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014906
Mobile Version of Website