Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Author Message
Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 6:40 Quote
A steel hardtail is the final bike in Brenard’s quiver and he describes it as his favourite of the bunch. It doesn’t get much park use but instead plenty of pump / BMX tracks and dirt jumping.

Bernard rides it roughly twice a week and says it’s really good for training precision, especially when it comes to dirt jumps.

He says: “The more I ride this, the better I feel on my downhill bike so I try and ride it as much as I can.”

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 7:35 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Sorry I'm asking so many questions about forks, but what are your opinions on the Circus Comp vs. Expert? The Comp is $460 and Expert is $600 (from S4 suspension). My goal with this bike is to determine whether or not I want to invest in a better bike, and if I enjoy it, I'll swap most of the parts over to a new frame (probably Chromag Monk). My current bike has a straight steerer whereas the Monk uses tapered, so I'd probably get a different crown race to make it compatible (or buy a new CSU). Then there is always the chance that I won't enjoy it enough to want a dedicated DJ, and I don't want to lose too much money on it

Thoughts?
I switched from the comp to expert recently, and the expert is a pretty major improvement in my book. Much lighter and has adjustability and lockout. I can say that for me it was the difference between having confidence on some bigger jumps and not. Also at the pump track it is great to be able to lockout the fork, though I notice there is always still just a very small amount of movement. The other thing is, unless you are dead set on that frame with the tapered steerer, you can always get one of the many high quality steel frames with a straight steer tube. Absolutely nothing wrong with straight steer on a DJ bike. I would definitely be careful throwing lots of money at it until you are sure you want the bike.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
Sorry I'm asking so many questions about forks, but what are your opinions on the Circus Comp vs. Expert? The Comp is $460 and Expert is $600 (from S4 suspension). My goal with this bike is to determine whether or not I want to invest in a better bike, and if I enjoy it, I'll swap most of the parts over to a new frame (probably Chromag Monk). My current bike has a straight steerer whereas the Monk uses tapered, so I'd probably get a different crown race to make it compatible (or buy a new CSU). Then there is always the chance that I won't enjoy it enough to want a dedicated DJ, and I don't want to lose too much money on it

Thoughts?
I switched from the comp to expert recently, and the expert is a pretty major improvement in my book. Much lighter and has adjustability and lockout. I can say that for me it was the difference between having confidence on some bigger jumps and not. Also at the pump track it is great to be able to lockout the fork, though I notice there is always still just a very small amount of movement. The other thing is, unless you are dead set on that frame with the tapered steerer, you can always get one of the many high quality steel frames with a straight steer tube. Absolutely nothing wrong with straight steer on a DJ bike. I would definitely be careful throwing lots of money at it until you are sure you want the bike.

The reason I was thinking of the Monk in particular is because the shop I work at is able to order them and I can get employee discounts. I probably would end up just using a headset to convert the tapered head tube for the straight fork steerer, I just threw in the CSU swap bit in case there is a huge difference in feel. I am not a heavy rider, so I don't think I would even notice any additional stiffness. I am fairly sure I will enjoy it, as I used to love hitting the jumps as a kid, and even now I will warm up on the jumps, but it's difficult to do any tricks on a 27.5 full suspension trail bike

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Sorry I'm asking so many questions about forks, but what are your opinions on the Circus Comp vs. Expert? The Comp is $460 and Expert is $600 (from S4 suspension). My goal with this bike is to determine whether or not I want to invest in a better bike, and if I enjoy it, I'll swap most of the parts over to a new frame (probably Chromag Monk). My current bike has a straight steerer whereas the Monk uses tapered, so I'd probably get a different crown race to make it compatible (or buy a new CSU). Then there is always the chance that I won't enjoy it enough to want a dedicated DJ, and I don't want to lose too much money on it

Thoughts?

600 dollars? I know there's an exchange rate but the expert is only around £240 in the UK on crc, those forks are always in a sale somewhere

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 9:32 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Sorry I'm asking so many questions about forks, but what are your opinions on the Circus Comp vs. Expert? The Comp is $460 and Expert is $600 (from S4 suspension). My goal with this bike is to determine whether or not I want to invest in a better bike, and if I enjoy it, I'll swap most of the parts over to a new frame (probably Chromag Monk). My current bike has a straight steerer whereas the Monk uses tapered, so I'd probably get a different crown race to make it compatible (or buy a new CSU). Then there is always the chance that I won't enjoy it enough to want a dedicated DJ, and I don't want to lose too much money on it

Thoughts?
You can get the Manitou Circus expert for much cheaper than $600.Check out CRC,they have them on sale.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 11:47 Quote
Reading between the lines here, if he works at a shop that deals with S4 he's definitely not paying $600. He's just quoting Canadian MSRP.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Reading between the lines here, if he works at a shop that deals with S4 he's definitely not paying $600. He's just quoting Canadian MSRP.

My shop doesn't carry S4, that was just the first Canadian supplier that popped up when I googled it

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 19:11 Quote
crs-one wrote:
BunkyD wrote:
crs-one wrote:

Who made it and what's the geo? It looks real good.

Just to weigh in here - if someone doesn't ride bikes, I just say BMX. If they do ride bikes, I'll say dirt jumper. Around my friends and other DJ riders I'll go even further and say "street bike" because strictly speaking, I don't ride dirt on this thing.

Quick side note - I would recommend swapping those tires out if you're grinding. They feel great but they are seriously delicate.

It's a Dutch Bikes custom frame and I'm super happy how it turned out. I got super specific on the geo and tubing specs:

TopTube Length: 22.5inches
TopTube Tubing Diameter: 1 & 1/4 inch
TopTube Tubing Thickness: 0.049
DownTube Tubing Diameter: 1 & ½ inch
DownTube Tubing Thickness: 0.049
SeatTube standover length: 11 inches (center of bb to center of top tube)
SeatTube Internal Diameter: 1 inch for standard bmx seat post
SeatTube angle: 75 degrees
SeatTube Style: Welded onto the down tube on the front edge of the bottom bracket to give the tire more clearance
Chainstay Length: 14.
Chainstay Tubing Diameter: 3/4 inch tapered
Chainstay Tubing Thickness: 0.049
Chainstay bridge: NA - See design
Seatstay Tubing Diameter: 3/4 inch tapered
Seatstay Tubing Thickness: 0.049
Seatstay bridge: curved tube style 5/8ths inch
Seatstay other notes: bullet tipped seatstay caps
Seatstay Style: A frame stays
Bottom Bracket type: Mid
Bottom Bracket Height: .75 inches above axle line when using a fork with a 430mm axle to crown height, or 13.75
above ground with 26 tires.
Bottom Bracket Style: internally relieved
Dropout slot size: 14mm axle
Dropout spacing: 110mm – standard bmx hub width
Brakes mounts: 990 U-brake
Brake mount style: angled Welded mounts
Brake mount width: 84 mm’s apart
Brake Mount location: underside of Seatstays.
Brake cable stop: welded plate style that sits 45 mm away from the seat tube on underside of toptube
Headtube style: 1 and 1/8th inch 45/45 integrated headtube
Headtube length: 127mm
Headtube angle: 74.5 degrees

So far the KHE tires are holding up, but I should mention that I waxed the shit out of the sidewalls. I know they may not last long, so I'm thinking about ordering some Maxis DTH's in 2.1 and 2.3 just to have on hand as backups. Only time will tell how much life I'll get out of the KHE's...

Thanks for the answer! I've been in the market for a custom frame with similarly short chainstays for a while, never heard of these guys before but this thing is too nice. I'll send you a PM with some more specific questions.

Should check out Ordnance Bikes.. Small batch american made (not that that matters much to you) can do full custom options

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 19:13 Quote
BunkyD wrote:
crs-one wrote:

Who made it and what's the geo? It looks real good.

Just to weigh in here - if someone doesn't ride bikes, I just say BMX. If they do ride bikes, I'll say dirt jumper. Around my friends and other DJ riders I'll go even further and say "street bike" because strictly speaking, I don't ride dirt on this thing.

Quick side note - I would recommend swapping those tires out if you're grinding. They feel great but they are seriously delicate.

It's a Dutch Bikes custom frame and I'm super happy how it turned out. I got super specific on the geo and tubing specs:

TopTube Length: 22.5inches
TopTube Tubing Diameter: 1 & 1/4 inch
TopTube Tubing Thickness: 0.049
DownTube Tubing Diameter: 1 & ½ inch
DownTube Tubing Thickness: 0.049
SeatTube standover length: 11 inches (center of bb to center of top tube)
SeatTube Internal Diameter: 1 inch for standard bmx seat post
SeatTube angle: 75 degrees
SeatTube Style: Welded onto the down tube on the front edge of the bottom bracket to give the tire more clearance
Chainstay Length: 14.
Chainstay Tubing Diameter: 3/4 inch tapered
Chainstay Tubing Thickness: 0.049
Chainstay bridge: NA - See design
Seatstay Tubing Diameter: 3/4 inch tapered
Seatstay Tubing Thickness: 0.049
Seatstay bridge: curved tube style 5/8ths inch
Seatstay other notes: bullet tipped seatstay caps
Seatstay Style: A frame stays
Bottom Bracket type: Mid
Bottom Bracket Height: .75 inches above axle line when using a fork with a 430mm axle to crown height, or 13.75
above ground with 26 tires.
Bottom Bracket Style: internally relieved
Dropout slot size: 14mm axle
Dropout spacing: 110mm – standard bmx hub width
Brakes mounts: 990 U-brake
Brake mount style: angled Welded mounts
Brake mount width: 84 mm’s apart
Brake Mount location: underside of Seatstays.
Brake cable stop: welded plate style that sits 45 mm away from the seat tube on underside of toptube
Headtube style: 1 and 1/8th inch 45/45 integrated headtube
Headtube length: 127mm
Headtube angle: 74.5 degrees

So far the KHE tires are holding up, but I should mention that I waxed the shit out of the sidewalls. I know they may not last long, so I'm thinking about ordering some Maxis DTH's in 2.1 and 2.3 just to have on hand as backups. Only time will tell how much life I'll get out of the KHE's...

Holy steep HT angle, thought my 72.5 was steep, thats definitely BMX territory!

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 12:07 Quote
Ah sherbet. You still a Moderator on here?

Also, been going through old street videos. This vvc force one was a banger.

Views: 20,428    Faves: 499    Comments: 65

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:05 Quote
we need jams like that more often

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
caravanking wrote:
Ah sherbet. You still a Moderator on here?

Also, been going through old street videos. This vvc force one was a banger.

Views: 20,428    Faves: 499    Comments: 65
man vvc days was THE days

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 15:06 Quote
Not a mod, just a dude. I linger still! Next project bike after getting a new mtb going for the year is probably going to be a DMR sect. I want jumps again.

Edit; hah, just watched Vish in Everywhere last night. "I am the leader of planet X. I have come here to discuss something very important."

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Not a mod, just a dude. I linger still! Next project bike after getting a new mtb going for the year is probably going to be a DMR sect. I want jumps again.

Edit; hah, just watched Vish in Everywhere last night. "I am the leader of planet X. I have come here to discuss something very important."
Where can one purchase a DMR Sect frame in Canada?

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 6:18 Quote
So right now i have a qr and chain tugs on my bike. The problem is that due to the extra thickness the quick release does not thread on all the way.

Does anyone know if they make something that can solve this like a 150mm qr?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015347
Mobile Version of Website