Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
what about this thing? dn't relly want to go much more expensive than this..

https://www.jensonusa.com/Gusset-Single-Speed-Conversion-Kit

would that work with my hub? Pro 4 trials/ss

thank you in advance

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:29 Quote
zmcycle wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
jespinal wrote:
writtend article on the front page a few years back had an interview with him which caused quite the uproar

Tl;dr a dirt jumper focused brand said dj market was such a niche they didnt see any money in it thus dropping the support for dj products
So here's the article you're talking about:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gavin-michael-vos-spank-interview-2015.html
I just went through the whole thing and all the comments, and it seems to me you're basing your opinion on dudes arguing in the PB comment section. The only thing the article mentions about DJ is this:

PB: You mentioned earlier that the UK and Australia were particularly difficult markets to get into?

"That's right. I think... probably the primary reason was that our exposure in the States was low back then, and a lot of the UK and Australian companies at the time were highly influenced by the American market. Add the cheekiness of the name 'Spank', combined with a misconception that we were focused on the struggling dirt jump market, together with the challenges of working with weak, early day distribution in new English-speaking territories, and you have a tough market to crack. Admittedly, we were so involved at such an early stage, I think we were part of starting the dirt movement in most territories. It was a tough sell. It didn’t take us long to realize that DJ wasn’t the future for us and we moved focus to DH, trail, freeride and enduro."

Doesn't sound like anything nefarious to me personally.

It's the same reason why Dartmoor and NS started to make more XC/AM/Enduro/FR offerings...

It's not sustainable otherwise.
Corect on this one! There is very little money in DJ/Slopestyle.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:30 Quote
sendit4 wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
robd420 wrote:

Absolute Black, light, been pretty strong, wide base and black
This isn't good advice for someone who is looking for a cheap durable cog. Steel would be a better choice than aluminum and the narrow wide is unnecessary. Not to mention it's expensive. A steel cheaper cog like a surly ss cog would be a better bet.

Grossly overpriced and not worth the money.

Go for a Chris king and be happy

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:32 Quote
traqs wrote:

thank you in advance

Kind of but not really. The cog, lockring, and spacers will all fit the hub just fine, but that kit is designed around a normal length freehub. Yours will be much shorter. I'd recommend a kit that has a lot of small individual spacers, so you can adjust your chainline and so you only have to use what you need.

What gear ratio are you planning on running?

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:33 Quote
traqs wrote:

thank you in advance
Here is my set up.Spank spoon 32,Hope pro4 SS,Halo wheels fat foot cog 12T,Sram 12T lockring.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
for gear ratio, relly nothing planned, currently running 30/14, just want someting that works well, and is not very expensive. Plus, should I get a new chain with this? or use my current, kind of old chain?
if so, what chain would you guys recommend?

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:43 Quote
and that halo cog is not expensive at all, that is spot on for my price, is it good?

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
traqs wrote:
and that halo cog is not expensive at all, that is spot on for my price, is it good?
The Halo cog is really good.As for the chain,yes replace it with a new one,always use a new chain when buliding a new bike or using new drivetrain hardware.I myself use the KMC 510HX bmx chain.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
spyke wrote:
tom666 wrote:

I have no idea who owns Spank and if he is a bad guy or not.

But I think you're right, vote with your dollars. Support good shops and good companies.
Spank is a good company and produces top notch products,don't let a few peoples emotions on PB sway your judgement.

Like I said, I have no idea who owns Spank.

I have some sketchy experiences of their products, but it was a long time ago and things move on.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 10:21 Quote
spyke wrote:
traqs wrote:
The Halo cog is really good.As for the chain,yes replace it with a new one,always use a new chain when buliding a new bike or using new drivetrain hardware.I myself use the KMC 510HX bmx chain.
I also use this chain.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
spyke wrote:
tom666 wrote:
jespinal wrote:
that's like...your issue

I couldn't care less I support firstly business ethics in such a niche market and then I'll support a quality product

Usually they come hand in hand

But I think you're right, vote with your dollars. Support good shops and good companies.
Spank is a good company and produces top notch products,don't let a few peoples emotions on PB sway your judgement.
who peed in your cereal? Crs put my thoughts into words better than I could have ever done, regardless of what I think I just stated my opinion, as far as I'm concerned I won't support spank you can do with your money whatever the f*ck you want

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
spyke wrote:
traqs wrote:
I also use this chain.
fun fact kmc makes almost all chains in the market, decathlon's single speed bmx chain is a kmc 510H for a fraction of the price

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 12:16 Quote
jespinal wrote:
spyke wrote:
tom666 wrote:

who peed in your cereal? Crs put my thoughts into words better than I could have ever done, regardless of what I think I just stated my opinion, as far as I'm concerned I won't support spank you can do with your money whatever the f*ck you want
Why so angry?

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
jespinal wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
spyke wrote:
I also use this chain.
fun fact kmc makes almost all chains in the market, decathlon's single speed bmx chain is a kmc 510H for a fraction of the price
The 510H is not the same as the 510HX.The 510HX is roughly $20,so it won't bust the bank really.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 16:29 Quote
oof thread getting heated.

whoever suggested Chris King cog does not know how much they cost

sidenote: started new job today so bike funding 2020 has been fully secured

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.062746
Mobile Version of Website