Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 8:24 Quote
ima order that later, thank you

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
do I need to get a new chainring with all this too? since im replacing the cog and chain?

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
traqs wrote:
do I need to get a new chainring with all this too? since im replacing the cog and chain?
That would be the wise move.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 9:44 Quote
crs-one wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
"Gusset: $48 USD / $22 usd on sale - 16 or 18t - not wide body - spacers dont fit a SS freehubet"

errrr
Ive got 3 that are wide body an fit perfectly well on 2 hope SS hubs an one on a Spank regular freehub. come in 12th an upwards

The kit pictured/linked is designed for an 8/9/10 HG freehub, and it's only got two spacers. Best case scenario would you use one of the two provided spacers and then you still have to go hunting for something to make up the rest of the gap.

You're looking at the wrong one then, like I said I've got them on 3 bikes. Dudes Hope trials hub comes with a spacer kit included. All he needs is either a gusset double 6 cog for an MTB chain or the Halo version for BMX chain, then a cassette lock ring

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 9:53 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
crs-one wrote:
nojzilla wrote:
"Gusset: $48 USD / $22 usd on sale - 16 or 18t - not wide body - spacers dont fit a SS freehubet"

errrr
Ive got 3 that are wide body an fit perfectly well on 2 hope SS hubs an one on a Spank regular freehub. come in 12th an upwards

The kit pictured/linked is designed for an 8/9/10 HG freehub, and it's only got two spacers. Best case scenario would you use one of the two provided spacers and then you still have to go hunting for something to make up the rest of the gap.

You're looking at the wrong one then, like I said I've got them on 3 bikes. Dudes Hope trials hub comes with a spacer kit included. All he needs is either a gusset double 6 cog for an MTB chain or the Halo version for BMX chain, then a cassette lock ring

Glad you've got functioning SS kits on three bikes, but this is the Gusset kit he linked:
"With this kit you can use any standard Shimano 8/9 speed compatible freehub.
Simply slide on cog, sandwich between the two spacers and tighten it down with the lockring. The spacers position can be reversed to adjust the chainline."

Two spacers, designed for normal HG freehub. That's not going to help on a freehub that's like 60% as long.

Anyway I totally agree re: Hope spacers. They're super thin and there's enough to get some adjustment.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
Bit of a mix up
That's an old kit not a gusset double6
https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/1875928005

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
i have always used pvc pipe spray painted black

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
when you say bmx chain, do you mean a half link?

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
cause that halo cog, I found one in 14 T, which I need, but if it requires a half link to run it, then what chain? and if not, still, what is the difference for a bmx chain? and also, do I need a special chain ring for a bmx chain?

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
BMX chains,cogs an chainrings are thicker than MTB

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
traqs wrote:
BMX chains are 1/8 size,whereas MTB chains are 3/32.No need to run a half link chain when you don't need to.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 12:13 Quote
alexeyter wrote:
oof

sidenote: started new job today so bike funding 2020 has been fully secured

Congrats dude Salute

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 16:32 Quote
spyke wrote:
traqs wrote:
BMX chains are 1/8 size,whereas MTB chains are 3/32.No need to run a half link chain when you don't need to.

gotcha, excatly what I need to know.. thank you

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 22:41 Quote
traqs wrote:
cause that halo cog, I found one in 14 T, which I need, but if it requires a half link to run it, then what chain? and if not, still, what is the difference for a bmx chain? and also, do I need a special chain ring for a bmx chain?

I didn't read enough to know if anyone has pointed this out, but if youre building a dj and haven't yet decided on a chainring yet NEVER buy a narrow wide chainring up front on a dj. Chromag, and raceface boht make decently-priced non NW options in all sizes from 40t down to 30t, and if you run BMX cranks you have unlimited options.

Only reason I'm saying this so dramatically is because you might need to run a halflink to slam the rear wheel, and if you run a NW chainring, the halflink in your chain will get hung up on the wide teeth of your sprocket. It might work, but it'll put unnecessary wear on the whole drivetrain when the chain chokes your drivetrain up.

I mean just think about it. The narrow wide ring relies on the links alternating. If you just jam it with -narrow-narrow- narrow- three links in a row the chain either gets stuck on the wide tooth or just wear it out in the first month.

By the way you can just add a simple halflink to any single speed chain with a chain tool. You can do it with a hammer and a punch -tool but it takes some finesse (and a vice)

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 3:10 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
traqs wrote:

I didn't read enough to know if anyone has pointed this out, but if youre building a dj and haven't yet decided on a chainring yet NEVER buy a narrow wide chainring up front on a dj. Chromag, and raceface boht make decently-priced non NW options in all sizes from 40t down to 30t, and if you run BMX cranks you have unlimited options.

Only reason I'm saying this so dramatically is because you might need to run a halflink to slam the rear wheel, and if you run a NW chainring, the halflink in your chain will get hung up on the wide teeth of your sprocket. It might work, but it'll put unnecessary wear on the whole drivetrain when the chain chokes your drivetrain up.

I mean just think about it. The narrow wide ring relies on the links alternating. If you just jam it with -narrow-narrow- narrow- three links in a row the chain either gets stuck on the wide tooth or just wear it out in the first month.

By the way you can just add a simple halflink to any single speed chain with a chain tool. You can do it with a hammer and a punch -tool but it takes some finesse (and a vice)

Oh shit... I just added a sweet Shovel NW on my DJ... haven't ridden it much but to could feel the difference and it did feel a little "tight" sort of what you discribed.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014220
Mobile Version of Website