Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 6:37 Quote
AntN wrote:
Metro-Gnome wrote:
traqs wrote:
cause that halo cog, I found one in 14 T, which I need, but if it requires a half link to run it, then what chain? and if not, still, what is the difference for a bmx chain? and also, do I need a special chain ring for a bmx chain?

I didn't read enough to know if anyone has pointed this out, but if youre building a dj and haven't yet decided on a chainring yet NEVER buy a narrow wide chainring up front on a dj. Chromag, and raceface boht make decently-priced non NW options in all sizes from 40t down to 30t, and if you run BMX cranks you have unlimited options.

Only reason I'm saying this so dramatically is because you might need to run a halflink to slam the rear wheel, and if you run a NW chainring, the halflink in your chain will get hung up on the wide teeth of your sprocket. It might work, but it'll put unnecessary wear on the whole drivetrain when the chain chokes your drivetrain up.

I mean just think about it. The narrow wide ring relies on the links alternating. If you just jam it with -narrow-narrow- narrow- three links in a row the chain either gets stuck on the wide tooth or just wear it out in the first month.

By the way you can just add a simple halflink to any single speed chain with a chain tool. You can do it with a hammer and a punch -tool but it takes some finesse (and a vice)

Oh shit... I just added a sweet Shovel NW on my DJ... haven't ridden it much but to could feel the difference and it did feel a little "tight" sort of what you discribed.

You can run a 1/8” half link or full link chain with narrow wide rings. Swap your chain out and you’re good to go

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
I've never known such difficulty getting a single speed kit ????????

No hate it's just funny.

The hope hub comes with the spacers. Yeah technically a wider foot cog will be good but on a serious note it's a steel freehub body. I ran one for 3 years with a normal thin footed 12t cog that came with a dmr single speed kit, had a heavy gear ration and rode brakeless skatepark only so doing tyre taps and stuff basically a lot of tension on the cog and freehub body and it was sound. It broke into the body but very very slightly. If it was a standard pro 4 I'd understand. Just get anything that fits and get out on the damn thing!!

Happy riding.

Oh, I got my pike DJ and it completely transformed the bike, will stick with this one for a while! Probably the best set up I've ever had ATM, will upload a pic next time I'm out on it!

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:11 Quote
yeah, just got my wheel in, that pro 4 sounds soooo nice! thanks to all for helping me with it.Just waiting on my halo cog to come in, and it'll be all set! I almost don't want to ride it it is so nice..

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:39 Quote
I use a shimano bmx cassette cog, like 6$, minimal marking on a steel freehub, novatech ss hub (woodman) same as on the transition build, running 36-15, going on 5 years, chain wrap is your friend, unless you really want clearance., though my chain is finally hitting the worn mark

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:40 Quote
chain wrap? what is that?

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
traqs wrote:

Larger gears have more chain wrapped around them, less stressful on the chain

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
Jamestyrrell wrote:
I've never known such difficulty getting a single speed kit ????????

No hate it's just funny.

The hope hub comes with the spacers. Yeah technically a wider foot cog will be good but on a serious note it's a steel freehub body. I ran one for 3 years with a normal thin footed 12t cog that came with a dmr single speed kit, had a heavy gear ration and rode brakeless skatepark only so doing tyre taps and stuff basically a lot of tension on the cog and freehub body and it was sound. It broke into the body but very very slightly. If it was a standard pro 4 I'd understand. Just get anything that fits and get out on the damn thing!!

Happy riding.

Oh, I got my pike DJ and it completely transformed the bike, will stick with this one for a while! Probably the best set up I've ever had ATM, will upload a pic next time I'm out on it!
this 100

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:45 Quote
allsk8sno wrote:
traqs wrote:

Larger gears have more chain wrapped around them, less stressful on the chain

ahh gotcha

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 15:45 Quote
i thought you were talking about a literal wrap around the chain lol

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 16:28 Quote
Speaking of wrap....I had this idea to cut the end of a shoe lace off and put it over my brake cable to prevent rubbing...someone has certainly tried this or something similar right? Was also thinking of using the outer portion of some para-cord.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 4:30 Quote
Finally got the new P3 in. Feel alot more at home on this compared to the BMX.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
shes a beut, I have the p3 with the oil slicked/ jet fuel decals.. wish I had something that didn't show scratches so easily lol

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
Speaking of wrap....I had this idea to cut the end of a shoe lace off and put it over my brake cable to prevent rubbing...someone has certainly tried this or something similar right? Was also thinking of using the outer portion of some para-cord.

That does sound like a good idea, I am going to look into it too as I need to redo my brake anyways.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:11 Quote
man-wolf wrote:

I used electrical tape, somewhat worked good. Also could try a strip of clear Gorilla tape on the frame in the rubbing section, and just use a hair dryer or heat gun to remove it.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:14 Quote
i've seen the soft velcro patches be used quite a bit.. I like the shoelace idea though, cause if you have a bunch of wraps, like I do, it will cover the whole thing

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014829
Mobile Version of Website