Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
Looking back on it, I can't believe fox decided to make their dirt jump/slope fork a 32mm stantion.

A 34 or 36 would have been so much better.

I think there was a conspiracy at the time that they had a tonne of non boost 32 parts they needed to do something with so they made the 831 to use the parts - as everybody was moving over to 34s and boost.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
It's a great fork, mine never gave me issues.
DJ1 is out to pasture

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
Does anyone have any decent time on a Morpheus Vimana? I remember folk raving about them a few years back. What made them so good?
Planning my next frame and I'm wondering how my ideas might actually translate. The Vimana seems to be the closest existing bike to what I have in mind. This will be steel though.

Short as possible out back (aiming for sub 370 CS length slammed) and as low as possible but with a decent reach and otherwise fairly relaxed geometry. I've got some slightly less vague numbers in my head if anyone's interested but most of it depends on getting the back wheel slammed

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
Vimana had the crazy drop outs that looked like they would break but didn't. They were thick steel inserts that slid into the aluminum frame. That allowed them to have some of the shortest chainstays possible. I wanted one and would still consider one if they didn't go out of business, also they're not as long as other frames. What I can tell you is I often watched Brayden Barret Hay ride his very hard at Joyride 150 before he was signed by Mongoose and it worked really well for him.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 16:09 Quote
As cool as they are I'll be sticking with regular horizontal ones. The hard bit for me will be fitting in a crank, chainring, tire, BB, two braces and a seat tube into one tiny pocket lol
I had thought about using an 83mm BB shell but I think I'll get away with a regular one

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 19:09 Quote
alexeyter wrote:
It's a great fork, mine never gave me issues.
DJ1 is out to pasture
It better be a great fork considering the huge price tag for them.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 5:19 Quote
alexeyter wrote:
someone buy my 831, I'll give you a deal

Interested please.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 5:29 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Looking back on it, I can't believe fox decided to make their dirt jump/slope fork a 32mm stantion.

A 34 or 36 would have been so much better.

I think there was a conspiracy at the time that they had a tonne of non boost 32 parts they needed to do something with so they made the 831 to use the parts - as everybody was moving over to 34s and boost.

Wasn't the 831 a 4X fork when it first came out.. pretty sure it was when Jared Graves was racing WC 4X for Fox/Yeti. An Argyles an DJ's both had 32's at the time

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 6:43 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Short as possible out back (aiming for sub 370 CS length slammed) and as low as possible but with a decent reach and otherwise fairly relaxed geometry. I've got some slightly less vague numbers in my head if anyone's interested but most of it depends on getting the back wheel slammed

Pole Tomu has 367mm CS and it's steel. Wink

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
traqs wrote:
and I've tried spinning it, but I can't.. should I just punch a new hole?

I understand your pain here. Some tire/rim combos are a pain in the ass, I use moto tire levers when I have to. Need to be really careful with them though. I let my buddy borrow mine and he ended up putting a hole in his rim. You can never have enough lube.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
Finally finished my first ground up build. Really loving how this bike feels. Weight is a little over 25 pounds.

You may notice the brake cable...I was able to get the outside of a piece of paracord over it (I only covered the section that wraps around the front). Hopefully it prevents rubbing but time will tell.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
any preferences of 100mm or 110mm on the pike dj?

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 11:46 Quote
Lanssi wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Pole Tomu has 367mm CS and it's steel. Wink
Oooh lovely, how could I forget. Looks like they do it with an 83mm BB and a bent seat tube though, neither of which are an option for me

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
For any of you who haven't already seen this, figured I'd drop it here. Brett Rheeder's all-kashima Ticket build. To make it more interesting, appears that they welded a Ticket S headtube onto a Ticket DJ frame. Dropouts look different as well.

Brett Rheeder s all-Kashima Ticket. Looks like the Ticket S headtube on the Ticket DJ frame
Brett Rheeder s all-Kashima Ticket. Looks like the Ticket S headtube on the Ticket DJ frame

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018823
Mobile Version of Website