Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:09 Quote
I don't post nearly as often as I used to so here goes,

A lot of skate shoes make great riding shoes, specifically anything Nike SB. Lenoskys are incredible and basically Nike's whole SB line is decent enough(you may or may not agree with their 'ethical standing,, your choice) Vans are generally good, but super flexy sole-wise. After riding in 5 10s for a half-decade I could never get used to the bendy sole Vans. Also I wear steel toes at work so it's too much to adapt to.

Shoes are a very personal thing. 5 years ago I would've said 'pre adidas 5 10s or nothing'. Now I'd say, start with -
Nike(tightfit, medium rigid sole, and ergonomic)
Etnies(quality, comfortable, typical fat skate shoe sole), or
Vans(flexy, basically slipper socks with more rubber)
and figure out from there what you like. Try a pair of MTB flats just to be sure. Specialized, Teva, and 5. 10 are basic options.

Also know that you can get used to anything. You might not like vans right now but in a weekend or two alone they could be your new favourite. Initial impressions with shoes aren't everything. You probably like skate shoes a lot more than you think if you gave them a chance for a season.

On the other subject- brakeless, it's more of a compete adaptation, so saying it's 'wrong' or 'bad' is kind of like saying 'chainless is wrong' or 'inefficient' -it's not wrong or right or good or bad, it's a different vehicle altogether. I have a decent quiver of bikes at the moment half are brakeless half aren't(generally anything 26" or larger aren't but I could see it for street or park riding at least) The brakeless ones you have to ride on streets with visibility or you just can't go so fast that you don't have time/space to stop. You have to use your instincts more. Unless you've rode brakeless for at least half a season you don't know what it really means.comparing brakeless to brakes is like comparing hiking to marathon running. Yes it's scary as hell the first few times, but it's totally doable. Manuals brakeless are a different trick altogether, but you can still learn to consistently manual you just need to trust yourself a lot more.

Brakeless is great if you commute long distance to spots because you generally waste a lot less energy when you 'ride predictively' vs just hammering the cranks and stopping suddenly at intersections, for pedestrians and whatever else jumps in front of you. Its also great if you hate all your shoes, because you'll go through a pair. A month at the absolute minimum.

After all that blabbering I'm back at shoes, okay that's it I'm done. Sorry people had to rant up.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:24 Quote
spyke wrote:
Skateshoes are designed for skateboarding,not bike riding.
I'm assuming you don't take your bike to SKATEparks either?

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:25 Quote
spyke wrote:
alexeyter wrote:
spyke wrote:
this,
for starters skate shoes don't need to be as stiff as bike shoes, there isn't a single skate shoe out there that I've found to be even 80% the stiffness of 5 10s
Skate shoes just have alot of padding for the sides to protect the ankles.Plus they are big and bulky to wear.
have you seen any skate shoes newer than 2004?

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
I don't post nearly as often as I used to so here goes,

A lot of skate shoes make great riding shoes, specifically anything Nike SB. Lenoskys are incredible and basically Nike's whole SB line is decent enough(you may or may not agree with their 'ethical standing,, your choice) Vans are generally good, but super flexy sole-wise. After riding in 5 10s for a half-decade I could never get used to the bendy sole Vans. Also I wear steel toes at work so it's too much to adapt to.

Shoes are a very personal thing. 5 years ago I would've said 'pre adidas 5 10s or nothing'. Now I'd say, start with -
Nike(tightfit, medium rigid sole, and ergonomic)
Etnies(quality, comfortable, typical fat skate shoe sole), or
Vans(flexy, basically slipper socks with more rubber)
and figure out from there what you like. Try a pair of MTB flats just to be sure. Specialized, Teva, and 5. 10 are basic options.

Also know that you can get used to anything. You might not like vans right now but in a weekend or two alone they could be your new favourite. Initial impressions with shoes aren't everything. You probably like skate shoes a lot more than you think if you gave them a chance for a season.

On the other subject- brakeless, it's more of a compete adaptation, so saying it's 'wrong' or 'bad' is kind of like saying 'chainless is wrong' or 'inefficient' -it's not wrong or right or good or bad, it's a different vehicle altogether. I have a decent quiver of bikes at the moment half are brakeless half aren't(generally anything 26" or larger aren't but I could see it for street or park riding at least) The brakeless ones you have to ride on streets with visibility or you just can't go so fast that you don't have time/space to stop. You have to use your instincts more. Unless you've rode brakeless for at least half a season you don't know what it really means.comparing brakeless to brakes is like comparing hiking to marathon running. Yes it's scary as hell the first few times, but it's totally doable. Manuals brakeless are a different trick altogether, but you can still learn to consistently manual you just need to trust yourself a lot more.

Brakeless is great if you commute long distance to spots because you generally waste a lot less energy when you 'ride predictively' vs just hammering the cranks and stopping suddenly at intersections, for pedestrians and whatever else jumps in front of you. Its also great if you hate all your shoes, because you'll go through a pair. A month at the absolute minimum.

After all that blabbering I'm back at shoes, okay that's it I'm done. Sorry people had to rant up.
I love how you saw me coming from a mile away regarding nike lol

But I agree with this post, if you take a look at vans specific bmx shoes you'll have a great surprise at how good they are

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 22:50 Quote
Bring back the Rowly XLT

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 at 23:00 Quote
You're right about Nike though on the ethical front. I already had a sizable collection of Lenoskys when I realized the kind of company I was supporting blindly so I stopped buying their shoes years ago. I still have a supply and I use them occasionally, but better options out there now from Etnies and Vans and really we are all voting with our money.

On the same front, stay away from chrome anything. People die. Every so many square feet of chrome covered parts, rims, etc and actual people (with families) die. Not trying to go all political but I feel like if I'm bashing Nike I could go in so many other directions, too.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 5:13 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
ThePeanutGallery wrote:
Destroyed my heels the same with skate shoes. Check out FP insoles. They allow me to ride in skates shoes but not blow out my heels on bails. Plus if they work for JAWS doing Lyons they will easily work for me. LOL

man-wolf wrote:

For me it depends on the shoe construction. First off, I've been a skater for decades and tried quite a lot of shoes. One thing I have learned is that what works for skateboarding doesn't necessarily work for dirt jumping. I love to skate in vulcanized shoes generally, but the impacts from bailing on dirt jumps can be brutal. I had been riding in a pair of Emerica vulc midtops for a while and they felt great at first, but I came down hard one time and bruised the shit out of both heels. Done with that. Almost all MTB shoes are going to have cupsole construction, which is stiffer and better for impact absorption. Also more reinforced uppers. To me the Etnies we've been discussing, the Marana Crank, is the best combination of features and construction for riding. So I would definitely lean towards MTB specific shoes, BUT any cupsole skate shoe should also be a decent choice. It really depends what you're looking for.

I've been considering purchasing something from them for a while, I think now is the time. Cool company started by skaters. Which specific model do you ride, the Gamechanger? And you ride in vulcanized shoes?

yes, vulcanize. I've had few King foam and game changers. Super happy with both. I wear the king foam for every day shoe and for skate\ing or BMX I like the Game changers. It really helps with bails and a hard landings.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Bring back the Rowly XLT
+1 I had 2 pairs of these and loved them til they died. So nice.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 9:21 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
You're right about Nike though on the ethical front. I already had a sizable collection of Lenoskys when I realized the kind of company I was supporting blindly so I stopped buying their shoes years ago. I still have a supply and I use them occasionally, but better options out there now from Etnies and Vans and really we are all voting with our money.

On the same front, stay away from chrome anything. People die. Every so many square feet of chrome covered parts, rims, etc and actual people (with families) die. Not trying to go all political but I feel like if I'm bashing Nike I could go in so many other directions, too.

I can only assume you mean Janoski's, who is Lenosky? haha. But yeah, a big f*ck you to Nike from me. I will not debate the quality of their products but their business practices in the skateboard industry are pretty messed up.

Also, Rowley XLT's were the shit!

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
jespinal wrote:
spyke wrote:
I'm assuming you don't take your bike to SKATEparks either?
Yes I do...rarely,but when I do,I wear bike shoes designed for bike riding.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
jespinal wrote:
spyke wrote:
alexeyter wrote:
this,
for starters skate shoes don't need to be as stiff as bike shoes, there isn't a single skate shoe out there that I've found to be even 80% the stiffness of 5 10s
Skate shoes just have alot of padding for the sides to protect the ankles.Plus they are big and bulky to wear.
I have no interest in skates shoes sorry,maybe when I take up skateboarding I might.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
Anyone wear steel toe work boots while riding their bike? I heard they are pretty good for riding as well as construction.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
There was this one old skool rider

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
spyke wrote:
jespinal wrote:
spyke wrote:
I have no interest in skates shoes sorry,maybe when I take up skateboarding I might.

Bike specific shoes are literally just stiffer skate shoes. Get off your high horse.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
spyke wrote:
jespinal wrote:
spyke wrote:
it's not like vans has been supporting bmx since the 70s or the fact that they have a COMPLETE line up of shoes specifically designed for bmx you utter bellend

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.059554
Mobile Version of Website