Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 18:34 Quote
Yeah, that’s the simplest way. You could also try and look at the differences between the two bikes and try to figure out exactly what’s causing the discomfort so you can mitigate it somehow. Things like reach and rise can make a huge difference in handling. Simple things like a new bar or stem can be a huge deal. If I had to take a wild guess without even seeing your bikes, I’d say you’d probably feel better if you put a wide bar with at least 2” more rise on your DJ. You could also throw some higher volume tires on there if you have the clearance.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 2:05 Quote
My transition from dj to bmx was super easy because I started riding bmx in a trails frame
This meant slack head tube, long chainstays and overall similar positioning as a bmx

Jumping from a DJ or a mtb to a street killing machine with a 76⁰HA is gonna feel weird unless you ride each bike more often

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
Yep. Ride All the Bikes all the time.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:05 Quote
If anything, I ride predominantly my dirt jumper, but the skills that gives me with balance, manualling, jumping and bunny hopping makes riding my trail bike a doddle. Like riding big skateparks all the time makes me so much more confident out on the trails, I barely even ride it but I'm always doing black runs and skinnies etc when I'm out on the trails, if anything I try and find things like roots and ruts or mounds on the edge of flatter trails to turn into jumps etc makes it more enjoyable

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:19 Quote
I definitely ride my dirt jumper as much as possible, but I love my trail, road, and gravel bikes also. Sometimes it's nice to just clip in and crank out miles to stay in shape, and I feel like it helps my dirt jumping too. I'm with you on that style of trail riding, I'm constantly trying to make my rides more challenging and find more air time. I'm currently trying to learn how to climb big technical stuff and it is damn hard! Ate shit the other day.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
I definitely ride my dirt jumper as much as possible, but I love my trail, road, and gravel bikes also. Sometimes it's nice to just clip in and crank out miles to stay in shape, and I feel like it helps my dirt jumping too. I'm with you on that style of trail riding, I'm constantly trying to make my rides more challenging and find more air time. I'm currently trying to learn how to climb big technical stuff and it is damn hard! Ate shit the other day.

That's the way to be brother! Yeah I'm terrible at climbs haha! Not even gonna lie, pure granny gear and select the easiest line possible!

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
yeah agreed, I ride my bmx more than my dj, my dj more than my enduro, and I love them all, all great practice for the other

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
I have been riding alot of dh and less dj.. losing my dj skills. Need to ride more but it gets harder the older I get.

With this quarantine going on my jumps are not dry enough to start working on. I would gladly take this time to ride more ( jumps are in my yard- they are also small/low risk)

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 4:29 Quote
Onooka Ronic current build
Onooka Ronic, current build

Hey guys, I'm thinking about changing the forks on my Onooka as the Circus Comp are quite heavy. Found a used and relatively cheap pair of 2009ish Revelations 409/RCT online that would fit without changing anything else (tapered, 20 mm axle) and should be just below 2 kg (compared to the Circus 2,4 kg). Any Opinions on the Revelation? I'm struggling a bit on the decision as they are quite old by now, but back in the day I had very good experiences with Pikes and Argyles. Also I don't want to spend too much money which is why pike dj + 15 mm hub is not an option atm.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 4:55 Quote
Fireflies wrote:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about changing the forks on my Onooka as the Circus Comp are quite heavy. Found a used and relatively cheap pair of 2009ish Revelations 409/RCT online that would fit without changing anything else (tapered, 20 mm axle) and should be just below 2 kg (compared to the Circus 2,4 kg). Any Opinions on the Revelation? I'm struggling a bit on the decision as they are quite old by now, but back in the day I had very good experiences with Pikes and Argyles. Also I don't want to spend too much money which is why pike dj + 15 mm hub is not an option atm.

Thanks for your help!

I've never seen or heard of that frame before, but it looks so nice!!! As for the revelations, I'm not so sure if they'll be stiff enough as they're more of an xc fork, how about some circus experts instead of the comps? The expert is a massive improvement in weight and feel over the comp and they go for pennies (at least in the UK they do), it's either that or old (pre 2012) fox 36 floats go extremely cheap too and you can lower them down to 100mm easily

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 6:00 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
I have been riding alot of dh and less dj.. losing my dj skills. Need to ride more but it gets harder the older I get.

With this quarantine going on my jumps are not dry enough to start working on. I would gladly take this time to ride more ( jumps are in my yard- they are also small/low risk)
the best thing I owe to bmx and dj is learning to go otb and fall on my feet, that skill has saved me from countless serious injuries

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
jespinal wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

the best thing I owe to bmx and dj is learning to go otb and fall on my feet, that skill has saved me from countless serious injuries

yeah, agreed

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
Jamestyrrell wrote:
Fireflies wrote:

Thanks for your help!

I've never seen or heard of that frame before, but it looks so nice!!! As for the revelations, I'm not so sure if they'll be stiff enough as they're more of an xc fork, how about some circus experts instead of the comps? The expert is a massive improvement in weight and feel over the comp and they go for pennies (at least in the UK they do), it's either that or old (pre 2012) fox 36 floats go extremely cheap too and you can lower them down to 100mm easily

What hub are you running up front? Are you sure you can't get a conversion kit to 15mm?
I have a revelation on the zircus, but it's kinda irrelevant cos it's a 15mm axle 650b RL from '14 - and I never ridden older ones. It works just fine, for the record.
On the long run you're probably best off redoing your wheel with a 15mm hub, or something that's easily convertible, I think.
2 cents

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
noisette wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:
Fireflies wrote:

[Onooka Ronic, current build]

Thanks for your help!

What hub are you running up front? Are you sure you can't get a conversion kit to 15mm?
I have a revelation on the zircus, but it's kinda irrelevant cos it's a 15mm axle 650b RL from '14 - and I never ridden older ones. It works just fine, for the record.
On the long run you're probably best off redoing your wheel with a 15mm hub, or something that's easily convertible, I think.
2 cents
Thanks for the input! I think I should probably save up and wait for a good deal on an expert.

Onooka was a small german brand that only existed for a few years before going ending business 4~5 years ago. They were owned by the same guy as Leaf cycles back then. Really loved their work which is why I bought one of the very last bikes they made.

Hub is from Kartell (Onooka's and Leaf cycles in house brand). It might be some sort of rebranded Novatec or similar that came with the bike. So far running without a single problem but I dont know of any conversion kits.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 17:56 Quote
photo
My custom 2016 voltage

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041372
Mobile Version of Website