Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
Draggon wrote:
Kitejumping wrote:
WTB Asym 26" looked good but they are way too wide, would probably mess up the tire profile when manualing.

In the same vane as the Asym, I got the WTB KOM Tough rims for my Vimana and they are less in depth and wider than the Asym, like 15mm tall and 45mm wide, however they have more reinforcing within the rim like the original i29 style series of rims, the two channels.....

I did a friggin' lot of research on them because to tell the truth I couldn't believe I was even considering them, hahaa. WTB rated them high on the abuse scale and I found more than a few reviews from dudes using them for everything, DH even, and speaking of them holding up. So I just rolled the dice and so far so good. Of course I am of the aged gentleman variety these days so I don't ride them as hard as I would have back in the day, but they have seen some good airs and cockeyed landings and held up damn fine. Gotta be a good rim to keep up with a Vimana. Anyway, as for the tire profile, this is what it looks like with a Specialized Rhythm Lite on them, which is a 2.3 that measures at an expanded 2.45 on the 45mm KOM. It's not much different for the tread wrap around if you look at pics of the Rhythm on regular rims. Only flaw with these KOM's is that you absolutely have to keep the tire pressure up at all times so the bead stays on. If you run it a bit low and land a little crossed up, the boom will scare a bunch of people like I have a couple times now, hahaa.

V mana

Those look nice and flat like they would handle cross winds much better.

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 12:37 Quote
Not to break the flow but I’ve been practicing fakies on my bmx and today I did one on my dirt jumper after not being able to do it on my dirt jumper at all!

Views: 192    Faves: 2    Comments: 0

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 12:41 Quote
Looking looser and looser on the bike every day man. I'd say add a bit of speed and you're cookin!

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 12:52 Quote
Thanks man! Up and til today, I couldn’t go father than the silver bottom of the ram on my dj. It feels great to progress!

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 13:28 Quote
Ah looking good, now work on pivot back to normal.

Makes me want to get out and ride more street!

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 13:32 Quote
Yes! Already working on reverts on my bmx! Can’t wait to get them!

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 20:43 Quote
Stoked for you dude. That's one of the absolute most important fundamentals for street riding. You're on your way.

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
speaking of fakies, put ages of practice into fakies, and got em pretty good, but for whatever reason I can't do them when I'm going fast, absolutely destroyed my elbow today trying a 180 fast.

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 9:09 Quote
Jackal frame ordered, I managed to get one of the ones James mentioned, it won't be here till October though (any new orders will be Dec). Still it gives me more time to procastinate about whether to go with Black/Silver pikes or orange/purple hubs/stem and hopefully pick up some bargains

Edit went with the short, my stitched is the same as the large and would prefer shorter

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
Silver Pikes, purple parts.

Posted: Jul 24, 2020 at 11:02 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
Silver Pikes, purple parts.
black bikes purple grips pedals and hubs

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 3:14 Quote
[Quote="Thepureface"]
Kitejumping wrote:
So sick of my bike turning into a giant sail when its windy at the jumps, and there is a noticeable difference between running modern deeper carbon rims and old ex823s.

What 26" 32h alloy or carbon rims have the flattest profile/least depth to them?

It really doesn’t matter what rim you have they all catch wind like a sail when spinning.

I never ride jumps in the wind, too dangerous too sketchy. Worst is when you get a head wind mid air[/Quote
Same. I'll ride anywhere anytime as long as the wind stays below 'move my ass 2-feet in mid air' speed. That's usually when I ride my commuter/grocery-getter-with-a-gyro bike gets ridden as a daily. Or my 'literally 98% carbon hardtail' goes long distance. Either way you don't want to be airborne.

As a tip if you must ride outdoors even when it's windy, build your bike/wheels around a 26-28lbs final weight. It's more manageable but actually a lot more risky, too so be careful. You can get there easily with district bars, a chunky BMX stem and burlier rims. Add bb5 brakes and a chunky lever if that isn't heavy enough. Doesn't really matter the rim aero-profile anything heavier than what you're running will hold a line in midair better, but you'll need way more speed and pump too, thus- why i said it's more risky but also more predictable.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 3:21 Quote
jamesashton wrote:
speaking of fakies, put ages of practice into fakies, and got em pretty good, but for whatever reason I can't do them when I'm going fast, absolutely destroyed my elbow today trying a 180 fast.

I feel like every 26" street rider goods through this at some point...
This is what I did, many many years ago.

Find a 'handicap spot' as i call it. Can be a curb cut, or even some grass leading up to a parking lot from the sidewalk. Anywhere that gives a forgiving 6" drop into smooth pavement. Slowly build up speed until it's just a reflex you can trust. Also, learn how to jam the brakes when going backwards and bitch-crank simultaneously. That's how I learned to half cab a 26".

Then I switched or rather also started riding BMX, and realized I could've learns 180s perfectly in a weekend????. Seriously it's so much easier, at least it was for me.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 8:13 Quote
Hi everyone, new to dirt jumping but not necessarily dirt jump bikes, done a lot of pump track action in the time ive been riding and sometimes have a gander at my local spot (not very progressive mind, there's one line of tables which is a bit neglected and then it goes straight into pretty formidable gaps, Ayton quarry if anyone from the uk knows it). Would really like to progress further into dirt jumping itself, if anyone has any tips that'd be much appreciated.

Heres my weapon of choice:

its a dartmoor two6player in long with the following spec;
manitou circus expert
halo combat rear wheel
halo wideboy on a mavic ex325 rim
stln bike co cranks in a profile bb
profile 28t chainring
kore ocd bars with a kore repute stem
sram level t brake
dartmoor pivotal post with a total bmx seat

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
I'm going silver/orange

Hope Fortus 30 Orange hubs - Billy Bonkers Black - Tubolito extra light (41g)
Silver Pikes
Saint Cranks
Stamp 2 pedals black (never been a fan of coloured pedals
Fatbar lite gold 40mm rise
Black grips-orange collar
Hope 35mm Orange stem (though may have to go with the unite copy as stock is non existant)
Formula Cura Polished Silver - formula 140mm rotor
Ergon SMD2 Ti saddle (stolen off my DH)

I really want the title 38mm bars and saddle as they look so clean but shipping is £51 then add another £35 for customs and its daft

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.026618
Mobile Version of Website