Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 9:48 Quote
allsk8sno wrote:
The biggest hurdle is making sure the spindle is long enough, most bmx cranks are shorter spindle and for mtb you want 6". There are usually replacement you can find in longer length or go for some already sold on mtb dj.

That’s the mess I’m attempting to go through right now, I believe if you go with an internal “euro” bottom bracket that a standard 5.625 axle length will work, if you go with the stronger external bottom bracket you’ll need a 6” spindle/axle.. from what I a an find though it is really hard to find a bmx crank that you can swap out the axle on, besides Profile Racing which just the f-ing axle costs $90!!!

If you can go to a bike shop that specializes in bmx they may have more knowledge on cranksets available with longer axles though... dj bikes are kinda weird because they are somewhere between bmx and mountain bikes and it seems like no one is making dj specific parts anymore, maybe DMR still is, and I believe they are a UK based company...

Good luck!

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 9:51 Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys, who would think it would be such a minefield.

I have had great help from slam69 here in the UK, so I will give them a shout for some more help.

I appreciate the in depth replys

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
unrooted wrote:
allsk8sno wrote:
The biggest hurdle is making sure the spindle is long enough, most bmx cranks are shorter spindle and for mtb you want 6". There are usually replacement you can find in longer length or go for some already sold on mtb dj.

That’s the mess I’m attempting to go through right now, I believe if you go with an internal “euro” bottom bracket that a standard 5.625 axle length will work, if you go with the stronger external bottom bracket you’ll need a 6” spindle/axle.. from what I a an find though it is really hard to find a bmx crank that you can swap out the axle on, besides Profile Racing which just the f-ing axle costs $90!!!

If you can go to a bike shop that specializes in bmx they may have more knowledge on cranksets available with longer axles though... dj bikes are kinda weird because they are somewhere between bmx and mountain bikes and it seems like no one is making dj specific parts anymore, maybe DMR still is, and I believe they are a UK based company...

Good luck!
As long as the diameter and number of splines is the same you should be able to use alternate spindles. The only time you can't swap the spindle is if it's a 2 piece crank set.
And as for Profile...great parts and lifetime warranty. Well worth it. And you can get a full crankset for around $180.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
v7fmp wrote:
This was exactly how I felt when I went through this. Happy to help.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
https://www.marzocchi.com/products/dj-bomber

Anyone knew this was back? Am I late on news?

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
mattty wrote:
https://www.marzocchi.com/products/dj-bomber

Anyone knew this was back? Am I late on news?
came out about week or so ago

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 5:13 Quote
I'm installing one on a buddy's bike today, and then I've got one inbound when they restock. Very excited. On paper it's basically just a cheap 36 performance evol grip, which is a great starting point

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
Canyon have raised the price of the 360 base and Pro by £200! (Now £999 and £1399)

Bit of a pisstake

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 16:40 Quote
v7fmp wrote:

I have had great help from slam69 here in the UK, so I will give them a shout for some more help.

I appreciate the in depth replys

Be wary that if you do go for BMX cranks they need to be a 19mm spindle. Sounds silly, but a lot of BMX cranks these days have a 22mm axle.

Just got profile racing cranks myself and my BB is 73mm and they were fine. If you need a BB, I got a Dartmoor euro BB on Amazon and was only around £20 with prime next day delivery, great value!

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 18:33 Quote
crs-one wrote:
I'm installing one on a buddy's bike today, and then I've got one inbound when they restock. Very excited. On paper it's basically just a cheap 36 performance evol grip, which is a great starting point
snagged one today at the LBS.

Paid for it and put it on layaway until my frame shows up.

Super excited for the PBJ build.

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 21:06 Quote
Built his bike tonight and the fork feels amazing. Well, it feels like a 36 with 8 volume spacers, which is exactly what it is. This is exactly what the 831 should have been the entire time. A1

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 3:25 Quote
So glad zocchi came back to fill the void they used to fill back in the day. I had high hopes for this thing. I'm glad it's what I thought it'd be.

Old-timey early-to-mid 2000s marzo quality with slightly upscaled pricing. If you ever had to do the DJ1 hole-punch mod back in the day you know what I'm talking about.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
I just want a purple dj1 man

Hell I'll build a whole new dirt jumper just to slap one on it...and I ride bmx instead of big bikes these days

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
jespinal wrote:
and I ride bmx instead of big bikes these days
I’ve been hearing people refer to their DJ’s as “little bikes” lately.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 4:09 Quote
I know this thread is so old and all, but I guess, as I see people are still posting on here, even when it's just normal talk and no recent photos, I'll just post some pics of my oldie, it's the same era as this thread's first post, which is kind of cool haha. It's a 24 incher Specialized P Grom from 2009.

This is one of the first pics I have of it, a few days after I bought it back in January.

Later, I converted it to Single speed, removed front brake (even tho the disc is on the pic cause I was lazy to get it off haha), changed the fork to it's original fork cause I like it more, feels more stiff than the Rockshox Recon Silver that came with it from the previous owner, also changed pedals, sprocket, grips... just to make it a bit more personal. This pic over here is the last pic I took before quarantine here in Spain.

And here's the last change I've done to it, I repainted on Sweet Chameleon paint. Looks great, but it's starting to chip as it wasn't a really good quality barnish, next time I'll get a 2K Clear coat barnish so it keeps up a bit better hehe.

Hope you like it ^^

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015283
Mobile Version of Website