Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 1:19 Quote
jespinal wrote:
Yo I need tips to hit gaps

I'll hit any table jump as long as it's filled out, I'll clear a 3-4m table no problem

I don't have the guts to hit a 1m gap
One of the spots I rode a few times at uni had the "chicken plank" available - sheet of plywood used to cover over the gap to help with the psychology, then once you were clearing it happily, at some point while you're rolling in someone would move it out of the way. Worked surprisingly well, was the biggest double I've ever hit.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 1:27 Quote
Shit, I gotta get me one of those

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 5:51 Quote
Jamestyrrell wrote:
jespinal wrote:

I'll hit any table jump as long as it's filled out, I'll clear a 3-4m table no problem

Follow someone you trust, don't look at the gap, try your best to ride as you would if it was a table!

Fear is the only thing stopping you dude, senddddddddddddd it

For some reason I personally have never liked following people, I prefer to feel something out myself. But I know that is a pretty standard way of doing it. I agree fear is the main thing holding you back, go in with confidence and smash it.

Pick a jump that has a runout after the landing and go a little faster than you think you might need to, pump through the lip and pull up. You'll clear it. I find the steeper the jump the harder it is to over shoot the landing so I always err on the side of more speed, but your ability to pop plays a big roll too. I see dudes at my local spots looking like they go slower than me but they have excellent technique and are BOOSTING. Also keep in mind you are typically going to want to drop your front wheel into the landing first. Grabbing your rear brake middair can help lift the rear wheel if you think you're going to case.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 5:53 Quote
jespinal wrote:

I struggle with new gaps, especially anything over 10 feet (3 m). Usually what I do is ask someone hitting them to help me with the speed. Most people have a bit of a theory on how they drop in for a line (1 crank, roll in pump hard and don't pull too hard) and most would be happy to have you follow them. In my experience, most guy that are throwing flipwhips will be happy to help you flow and progress!

Have fun!

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
jespinal wrote:

Are you consistently landing in the landing zone on the tables?

You may just have to force yourself to hit the smallest gap you can find.

Something that helped me was to build a wooden jump and landing that I could move further apart as I got more comfortable hitting it.

Eventually you should be able to tell if you have the right amount of speed to clear a jump as you are riding up to it.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
Something that always helped me mentally was planning on ditching the bike early if things didn't feel right after take off, going over it in my head beforehand. Just planning out an "escape route" made me feel a bit better about hitting the gap, just thinking about only dealing with trying to land on my feet or sliding/rolling out without having to contend with the bike made it easier to swallow.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
What helped me was that at the place, there was a jump that was really wide. One side of the jump was table and other side was gap (at first it was a big table, then we just needed more dirt for other jump and decided to take half of the table out, so we would have a gap jump to practice lol ). It was the best because the take off and the landing were the same. When I got comfortable with table, just jumped the side with gap.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 15:29 Quote
Stock but very slick. So far it rides great. I may want to upgrade the cranks for something slimmer and swap the fork to get quick release, if it's an option without replacing wheels.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
Why the f*ck would you want quick release???

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 15:46 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Why the f*ck would you want quick release???
Haha! I transport my bikes inside the back of my SUV. I prefer being able to just yank the front wheel off rather than undo 5 different hex bolts.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
tylerlefebvre wrote:
Stock but very slick. So far it rides great. I may want to upgrade the cranks for something slimmer and swap the fork to get quick release, if it's an option without replacing wheels.

I got a Pike DJ on my absolut, maxle is amazing simple, and quick! You'll have to replace your front hub though as most forks are 15mm axle now and I'm not sure if the spacers on those stock hubs are removable. Give commencal an email they'll be able to tell you!

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
Jamestyrrell wrote:
tylerlefebvre wrote:

I got a Pike DJ on my absolut, maxle is amazing simple, and quick! You'll have to replace your front hub though as most forks are 15mm axle now and I'm not sure if the spacers on those stock hubs are removable. Give commencal an email they'll be able to tell you!
Thanks! I just emailed them. I saw Maxle makes a 20x110 thru axle, wonder if it would plug and play on the Manitou?

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 18:23 Quote
tylerlefebvre wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:
tylerlefebvre wrote:

Thanks! I just emailed them. I saw Maxle makes a 20x110 thru axle, wonder if it would plug and play on the Manitou?

negative, fork axles are specific to the fork, some brands even have different threading year to year or model to model and arent compatible with each other, its stupid

there are some fox axles can be swapped from bolt on to qr 15mm but none of them use pinch bolts like the circus 20mm lowers do, out of luck im afraid

what you could do is swap some qr 15mm circus lowers from an oem expert, comp or sport, someone might be looking for the opposite from you and be willing to trade or you can find a used parts fork

your front hub should be easily converted to 15mm with some endcaps, if they dont offer them then you can do it yourself by replacing the bearings and using an internal spacer but the endcaps are far easier

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 18:26 Quote
I know it's a pain in the neck, but I'd say definitely worth it for the strength and stiffness you'd be losing for the convenience of a qr.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 18:35 Quote
I just want to point out the other option here, getting either a hitch or roof mount bike rack that doesn’t require you to take the wheel off. I know from experience removing the circus axle every time you need to transport your bike sucks. For me the solution was a different means of transporting the bike.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015254
Mobile Version of Website