Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Author Message
Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 18:59 Quote
Just upgraded from a Circus Sport to a 2015 MZ DJ1 (all black) and it's night and day. I'm a big dude, so not being able to adjust anything and only relying on the soft coil spring sucked. Now can crank that sucker up and run almost rigid! I'll post a shot when I get a chance.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 19:53 Quote
forty0 wrote:
tylerlefebvre wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:


I got a Pike DJ on my absolut, maxle is amazing simple, and quick! You'll have to replace your front hub though as most forks are 15mm axle now and I'm not sure if the spacers on those stock hubs are removable. Give commencal an email they'll be able to tell you!
Thanks! I just emailed them. I saw Maxle makes a 20x110 thru axle, wonder if it would plug and play on the Manitou?

negative, fork axles are specific to the fork, some brands even have different threading year to year or model to model and arent compatible with each other, its stupid

there are some fox axles can be swapped from bolt on to qr 15mm but none of them use pinch bolts like the circus 20mm lowers do, out of luck im afraid

what you could do is swap some qr 15mm circus lowers from an oem expert, comp or sport, someone might be looking for the opposite from you and be willing to trade or you can find a used parts fork

your front hub should be easily converted to 15mm with some endcaps, if they dont offer them then you can do it yourself by replacing the bearings and using an internal spacer but the endcaps are far easier
I appreciate the suggestion, that's certainly a good DIY approach rather than complete swap out. I'll keep my eye out.
Might these be easy replacements?
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2861496/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2902075/


man-wolf wrote:
I just want to point out the other option here, getting either a hitch or roof mount bike rack that doesn’t require you to take the wheel off. I know from experience removing the circus axle every time you need to transport your bike sucks. For me the solution was a different means of transporting the bike.
I've certainly considered that option but I have a Mazda CX5 w/no hitch. I'm a shorter guy so wouldn't prefer roof rack. I really like having my bikes inside my vehicle too for many reasons; safety, security, etc.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 20:30 Quote
tylerlefebvre wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
I just want to point out the other option here, getting either a hitch or roof mount bike rack that doesn’t require you to take the wheel off. I know from experience removing the circus axle every time you need to transport your bike sucks. For me the solution was a different means of transporting the bike.
I've certainly considered that option but I have a Mazda CX5 w/no hitch. I'm a shorter guy so wouldn't prefer roof rack. I really like having my bikes inside my vehicle too for many reasons; safety, security, etc.etc.
I totally get your reasoning on keeping the bike inside the car. Just wanted to mention though that an aftermarket hitch receiver can be installed on almost anything... certainly a CX5. My dad and I installed receivers on a Toyota Corolla and Honda Accord... hauled loads of bikes on the hitch cross-country using them. There are plenty of travel solutions.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 20:50 Quote
Philitup wrote:
tylerlefebvre wrote:
man-wolf wrote:
I just want to point out the other option here, getting either a hitch or roof mount bike rack that doesn’t require you to take the wheel off. I know from experience removing the circus axle every time you need to transport your bike sucks. For me the solution was a different means of transporting the bike.
I've certainly considered that option but I have a Mazda CX5 w/no hitch. I'm a shorter guy so wouldn't prefer roof rack. I really like having my bikes inside my vehicle too for many reasons; safety, security, etc.etc.
I totally get your reasoning on keeping the bike inside the car. Just wanted to mention though that an aftermarket hitch receiver can be installed on almost anything... certainly a CX5. My dad and I installed receivers on a Toyota Corolla and Honda Accord... hauled loads of bikes on the hitch cross-country using them. There are plenty of travel solutions.
I will second this also. I’ve installed hitches by myself on smaller cars, which can be a pain in the ass but on an suv there is a lot more working room. I would almost guarantee there is a hitch for your vehicle that just bolts right on, and you can get locking racks. You could then carry more bikes also. Just something to think about.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 21:23 Quote
forty0 wrote:
tylerlefebvre wrote:
Jamestyrrell wrote:


I got a Pike DJ on my absolut, maxle is amazing simple, and quick! You'll have to replace your front hub though as most forks are 15mm axle now and I'm not sure if the spacers on those stock hubs are removable. Give commencal an email they'll be able to tell you!
Thanks! I just emailed them. I saw Maxle makes a 20x110 thru axle, wonder if it would plug and play on the Manitou?

negative, fork axles are specific to the fork, some brands even have different threading year to year or model to model and arent compatible with each other, its stupid

there are some fox axles can be swapped from bolt on to qr 15mm but none of them use pinch bolts like the circus 20mm lowers do, out of luck im afraid

what you could do is swap some qr 15mm circus lowers from an oem expert, comp or sport, someone might be looking for the opposite from you and be willing to trade or you can find a used parts fork

your front hub should be easily converted to 15mm with some endcaps, if they dont offer them then you can do it yourself by replacing the bearings and using an internal spacer but the endcaps are far easier

This is basically bang on. There were OEM 15mm Circus Experts made for Specialized (among others) and many other 26" wheel 32mm stanchion 15x100mm spacing Manitou lowers should be compatible. I've had a local tuning company/Manitou dealer make me that specific fork twice now. You'll still need a tool to take it out, but at that point it's just one bolt rather than five.

I will say I would want to make sure there's an easy way to convert the front hub to 15mm before going to all this trouble.

The reason they haven't changed over to a round fully QR axle like Rockshox is because it gives structural stiffness that you otherwise can't really get without a pinch bolt (that adds a tool + step). The Pike DJ is real quick to install/remove a wheel, but that also means there's not really anything beyond the cam's clamping force keeping the axle from rotating inside the dropouts, which in turn helps mitigate flex.

Posted: Oct 30, 2020 at 23:56 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
I just want to point out the other option here, getting either a hitch or roof mount bike rack that doesn’t require you to take the wheel off. I know from experience removing the circus axle every time you need to transport your bike sucks. For me the solution was a different means of transporting the bike.
I've certainly considered that option but I have a Mazda CX5 w/no hitch. I'm a shorter guy so wouldn't prefer roof rack. I really like having my bikes inside my vehicle too for many reasons; safety, security, etc.[/Quote]

I also like my bike inside my vehicle. The only way it fits without having to remove the wheel is to turn the bars/steering backwards. So basically the front points back, backwheel in first. This might work for you, not sure if you have already tried this. It fits. I had a volve c30(coupe) it also fitted in there, but I had to drop the front seat.

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 6:47 Quote
tylerlefebvre wrote:
forty0 wrote:
tylerlefebvre wrote:

Thanks! I just emailed them. I saw Maxle makes a 20x110 thru axle, wonder if it would plug and play on the Manitou?

negative, fork axles are specific to the fork, some brands even have different threading year to year or model to model and arent compatible with each other, its stupid

there are some fox axles can be swapped from bolt on to qr 15mm but none of them use pinch bolts like the circus 20mm lowers do, out of luck im afraid

what you could do is swap some qr 15mm circus lowers from an oem expert, comp or sport, someone might be looking for the opposite from you and be willing to trade or you can find a used parts fork

your front hub should be easily converted to 15mm with some endcaps, if they dont offer them then you can do it yourself by replacing the bearings and using an internal spacer but the endcaps are far easier
I appreciate the suggestion, that's certainly a good DIY approach rather than complete swap out. I'll keep my eye out.
Might these be easy replacements?
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2861496/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2902075/


man-wolf wrote:
I just want to point out the other option here, getting either a hitch or roof mount bike rack that doesn’t require you to take the wheel off. I know from experience removing the circus axle every time you need to transport your bike sucks. For me the solution was a different means of transporting the bike.
I've certainly considered that option but I have a Mazda CX5 w/no hitch. I'm a shorter guy so wouldn't prefer roof rack. I really like having my bikes inside my vehicle too for many reasons; safety, security, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13315-Trailer-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B071S18BY2

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
unrooted wrote:
jespinal wrote:
Yo I need tips to hit gaps

I'll hit any table jump as long as it's filled out, I'll clear a 3-4m table no problem

I don't have the guts to hit a 1m gap

Are you consistently landing in the landing zone on the tables?

You may just have to force yourself to hit the smallest gap you can find.

Something that helped me was to build a wooden jump and landing that I could move further apart as I got more comfortable hitting it.

Eventually you should be able to tell if you have the right amount of speed to clear a jump as you are riding up to it.
my main problem is judging speed, for me my fear is crashing, like I'll hit it slower and case on purpose and I evaluate how bad it would be if I cased seriously. Then once I get the fear of crashing off I'll hit it no worries

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
Vaguely related topic but am I the only one who's WAY more comfortable hitting drops vs jumps? For some reason sending myself upwards in to the air first is way worse for me than taking off from somewhere and already being really high up.

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 15:49 Quote
secondtimeuser wrote:
Vaguely related topic but am I the only one who's WAY more comfortable hitting drops vs jumps? For some reason sending myself upwards in to the air first is way worse for me than taking off from somewhere and already being really high up.

To me almost any height of drop (up to 6 feet) feels about the same if the landing is built well. The hardest part of jumping gaps to me is being worried that I judge my speed wrong, or I do something stupid causing me to wreck... after getting SUPER comfortable on table jumps I can feel comfortable judging my speed and feel confident that I won’t do anything too dumb...I always suggest people progress very slowly to ensure they have the skills down to muscle memory, and to avoid injury which will slow your progression more than anything else would.

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
jespinal wrote:
unrooted wrote:
jespinal wrote:
Yo I need tips to hit gaps

I'll hit any table jump as long as it's filled out, I'll clear a 3-4m table no problem

I don't have the guts to hit a 1m gap

Are you consistently landing in the landing zone on the tables?

You may just have to force yourself to hit the smallest gap you can find.

Something that helped me was to build a wooden jump and landing that I could move further apart as I got more comfortable hitting it.

Eventually you should be able to tell if you have the right amount of speed to clear a jump as you are riding up to it.
my main problem is judging speed, for me my fear is crashing, like I'll hit it slower and case on purpose and I evaluate how bad it would be if I cased seriously. Then once I get the fear of crashing off I'll hit it no worries

Is there not a setup jump or a roller before the jumps that helps sort the speed?


Also how big are the gaps? Are they the same size as the tables or are they the next size/ the big line?

Also you have got to be confident in yourself- doubt killed the warrior

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
My 125 as of this afternoon. Swapped the fork from a Circus Sport to a DJ1 and super, super happy with the change. I think I'm going to strip the paint over winter and go raw. I'll throw the brake back on for the indoor bike park over winter and pick up a slimmer saddle, but otherwise stoked.


Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 18:17 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
jespinal wrote:
unrooted wrote:


Are you consistently landing in the landing zone on the tables?

You may just have to force yourself to hit the smallest gap you can find.

Something that helped me was to build a wooden jump and landing that I could move further apart as I got more comfortable hitting it.

Eventually you should be able to tell if you have the right amount of speed to clear a jump as you are riding up to it.
my main problem is judging speed, for me my fear is crashing, like I'll hit it slower and case on purpose and I evaluate how bad it would be if I cased seriously. Then once I get the fear of crashing off I'll hit it no worries

Is there not a setup jump or a roller before the jumps that helps sort the speed?


Also how big are the gaps? Are they the same size as the tables or are they the next size/ the big line?

Also you have got to be confident in yourself- doubt killed the warrior
Actually they are smaller

I'm a street rat and don't dabble too much on anything that involves air

Hell I hate doing drops on my mtb

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 19:30 Quote
man-wolf wrote:
I just want to point out the other option here, getting either a hitch or roof mount bike rack that doesn’t require you to take the wheel off. I know from experience removing the circus axle every time you need to transport your bike sucks. For me the solution was a different means of transporting the bike.

I thought this too, so I ended up buying a VW caddy maxi and now I have somewhere to sleep/camp too. Best decision ever.

Posted: Oct 31, 2020 at 19:36 Quote
Isn't a Mazda cx5 quite a big car? I used to get my DJ bike in my ford focus, fold the back seats, turn the bars 90 degrees and put the handle bar down the side of the passenger seat between the door and seat, always had plenty of room doing that!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016481
Mobile Version of Website