Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 12:16 Quote
Their MTB Elite Stuff is super rad actually, I have a few of their stems!

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 12:59 Quote
They were the first to make a hybrid cassette/coaster with MTB spacing, no? Didn't they do that years ago? For like, 1300 dollars us?

Either way profile gets a lot of flack for BMX hub durability, but all of their stuff is made to be immaculate, like Chris King stuff. I always thought of them as a 'better fit' for for the MTB communtiy in general than BMX, because BMX riders are 100x harder on parts, better to just buy salt+ and eclat if you're actually abusing shit. Its like, 1/4 the price of profile. If you ride both 20 and 26 all the time like I do you know exactly what I'm saying

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
Yeah true, although a few of my friends are bmxers and run profile stuff too (were all a bit nerdy with parts) lol and they've never had issues with anything, I had a BMX spaced elite hub on my old NS capital and never had an issue with that either.

But yeah the stems are class, they upgraded it to titanium bolts for me cause I had to wait ages for it to come in stock, I honestly couldn't believe the weight in my hand, I was there thinking.. 'i can't believe that's going to hold my bars on'

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 21:01 Quote
Jamestyrrell wrote:
Yeah true, although a few of my friends are bmxers and run profile stuff too (were all a bit nerdy with parts) lol and they've never had issues with anything, I had a BMX spaced elite hub on my old NS capital and never had an issue with that either.

But yeah the stems are class, they upgraded it to titanium bolts for me cause I had to wait ages for it to come in stock, I honestly couldn't believe the weight in my hand, I was there thinking.. 'i can't believe that's going to hold my bars on'

Yeah. The weight of titanium and carbon is crazy.

I was lucky enough to work on a custom build that used (I think they’re called e wing cranks or something?) whatever titanium cranks Matt Jones is using and wow. They were like feathers.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
I have built like 3 sets of wheels on Profile hubs now, the Elite stuff is prime, the classic stuff is neat, but have had issues with all of them skipping.

I do my nice-bike wheel builds on Industry9 hubs now, and keep my Profile stuff for dirt jumps.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
I used to ride with a guy that had profile elites on all his bikes. Really cool hubs, but the driver sound is f*cking infuriating. They're so unnecessarily loud. At an echoey indoor skatepark it drove me absolutely mad.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 9:13 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
They were the first to make a hybrid cassette/coaster with MTB spacing, no? Didn't they do that years ago? For like, 1300 dollars us?

Either way profile gets a lot of flack for BMX hub durability, but all of their stuff is made to be immaculate, like Chris King stuff. I always thought of them as a 'better fit' for for the MTB communtiy in general than BMX, because BMX riders are 100x harder on parts, better to just buy salt+ and eclat if you're actually abusing shit. Its like, 1/4 the price of profile. If you ride both 20 and 26 all the time like I do you know exactly what I'm saying
didn't khe do those for a fraction of the price, they were just hard to come by

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
shoefanu wrote:
I used to ride with a guy that had profile elites on all his bikes. Really cool hubs, but the driver sound is f*cking infuriating. They're so unnecessarily loud. At an echoey indoor skatepark it drove me absolutely mad.

Mine was really quiet when I first got it, a nice buzz, then I pulled some grease out, cleaned the ratchet and put some thinner grease in and it is loud. But not over the top. You can make them louder by bending the springs to make the pawls sit firmer in the ratchet and a guy at my local indoor park removed his rubber dust seal from the edge of the cassette where it sits on the hub flange but even for me it's insanely loud. He could drop in on the other side of the building and you can hear it echoing. Far too much, but yeah, you can definitely run them quiet

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 17:05 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
I have built like 3 sets of wheels on Profile hubs now, the Elite stuff is prime, the classic stuff is neat, but have had issues with all of them skipping.

I do my nice-bike wheel builds on Industry9 hubs now, and keep my Profile stuff for dirt jumps.
I'd love to try some i9 hydras one day! I really wanted a custom set with the fancy spokes etc but it got real expensive haha

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
Stay away from the spokes. They do make a nice, strong and stiff wheel but the spokes don’t play nice with Stan’s fluid, they’re 7$ a piece for replacements and they limit your choice of replacement rims to within 1 or 2mm ERD of the i9 rims and the choices are really limited.
Full disclosure, I have 2 sets of system wheels and 3 sets of j bends. I’ve been holding out on one of my system wheel rebuilds because of the spike and rim erd issue.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
Avoid the spokes that work well because of a sealant that doesn’t?

Logic.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 15:53 Quote
let's remember for a second we're talking DJ bikes, so noone is running tubeless

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 16:33 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
Avoid the spokes that work well because of a sealant that doesn’t?

Logic.
The fancy ass 7.50 spokes get eaten by Stan’s when it creeps under your tape, which inevitably always does. I haven’t tried it with other sealants but almost all of them use ammonia to keep them liquid which is what eats the alloy.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 16:47 Quote
alexey-t wrote:
let's remember for a second we're talking DJ bikes, so noone is running tubeless
True
Ive been living with various incarnations of i9 wheels for quite a while now. I love them and can’t recommend them enough. I also try an paint a realistic portrayal of ownership of them. I prefer the j bend wheels because I’m not a fan of i9s rims. The quality of their rims is certainly not commensurate to their cost (80-95$ For a sleeved and pinned rim). They look fantastic. They make a good strong wheel. They are not without their warts.
Just an opinion, and we all know what those are worth.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 21:46 Quote
Hey everyone,

Here is my new Trek Ticket! Currently missing a brake as I had to steal the hose to fix another.

Weighs in at 11.1kg or 24.5lbs complete with brake though. Very stoked with the build and can't wait to get out and ride when I can.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015482
Mobile Version of Website